Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 6:50 am

I came across something rather interesting the other day. One new homeowner in town is the music teacher at the local high school. His main instrument is the organ and he plays organ on Sundays for my local church.

I was astonished to go in his house and see that he was building a pipe organ as a more or less permanent in his house. I hope he's planning on living here for quite a while.

I couldn't figure out what it was until he told me, though.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 8:57 pm

I play the piano a little. I love music.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2019, 1:22 am

I’ve heard of this in a few mansions in the U.S. The Sanflippo residence in Barrington, IL comes to mind (the Sanflippos are the owners of Fisher’s Nuts.) IIRC, Jasper Sanflippo was a collector of Several theater organs, mostly built by the Wurlitzer Company of DeKalb, IL

There is also Winterthur, outside of Wilmington, DE, that was the residence of the DuPonts, at one time. It is now a museum. That residence has an extant Aeolian player organ, IIRC. (Built before the merger with E. M. Skinner and son.)

Also, there was a mansion in Miami that housed a pipe organ, which, unfortunately, I never had the chance to inquire about when I visited the place almost 20 years ago.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 5:26 am

A distant relative lives next door to him but doesn't seem to have heard organ music coming from the house.

That kind of surprises me because the volume levels on the organ at church is rather loud for me. We have an overflow area to the side that is only open when we need it. I've been tempted to try sitting over there to see if it is a little quieter.

In spite of the loudness, though, he is fantastic at the organ.