Post Something That Made You Stressed Today.

Page 7 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2020, 9:14 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I generally think that, while I support strict guidelines if they present a proportional public health benefit, we should also trust individuals to make decisions about whether their particular situation requires a slightly different approach.

I think if a state or country requires people to wear masks, then people who have a disability which makes it difficult for them to wear masks should be allowed to stay at home on full pay.

I agree as well!

How would this be enforced, though? Can you imagine how many millions of people would be asking for doctor's notes to say they should stay home with full pay because they don't like masks? Or would it only be for people who are previously diagnosed with SPD? Even that's not fair because some people with SPD don't mind masks, and other people can't tolerate masks for other reasons, even if they aren't SPD. I don't see a lot of employers paying people for time off in this economy when millions of other people want their jobs. It sounds reasonable because we're all autistic and we understand, but I don't see how this could be put in practice.

Like you, I agree in theory. I do wish they had more sensory type masks. I do wear masks going out but I fidget as well and end up touching my face so to me it's counter-productive.

Same. I'm constantly itching around and inside the mask. It drives me crazy. It feels like bugs crawling all over my face. I might be slowly but surely getting more used to wearing it though. I went through the same thing when I had to start wearing a bra. You ladies know what I'm talking about :wink: At first it was almost unbearable and I thought I'd never be able to do it. I still think the mask laws go too far and there are better ways of handling this. But I can pretend I'm a doctor when I wear one :)

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 9:21 pm

I’m an irregular poster....but I’m okay :P

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 9:38 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Like you, I agree in theory. I do wish they had more sensory type masks. I do wear masks going out but I fidget as well and end up touching my face so to me it's counter-productive.

I wear a blindfold for sleep because I'm very light sensitive. It took me at least ten different brands of blindfolds to find a texture and tightness I could tolerate. I'm sure I'd be just as picky about a mask. They sell super cute handmade ones on Etsy but I'd have to be careful about the texture, and I stim so much that I don't think I could manage for a long period of time. Plus the elastic digging into the back of my ears all day. More power to the front line workers and construction workers who wear them routinely. I'm not against the laws which are in place, I'm just really glad I'm home and I don't need to worry about wearing one.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 11:01 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I generally think that, while I support strict guidelines if they present a proportional public health benefit, we should also trust individuals to make decisions about whether their particular situation requires a slightly different approach.

I think if a state or country requires people to wear masks, then people who have a disability which makes it difficult for them to wear masks should be allowed to stay at home on full pay.

I agree as well!

How would this be enforced, though? Can you imagine how many millions of people would be asking for doctor's notes to say they should stay home with full pay because they don't like masks? Or would it only be for people who are previously diagnosed with SPD? Even that's not fair because some people with SPD don't mind masks, and other people can't tolerate masks for other reasons, even if they aren't SPD. I don't see a lot of employers paying people for time off in this economy when millions of other people want their jobs. It sounds reasonable because we're all autistic and we understand, but I don't see how this could be put in practice.

Same. I'm constantly itching around and inside the mask. It drives me crazy. It feels like bugs crawling all over my face. I might be slowly but surely getting more used to wearing it though. I went through the same thing when I had to start wearing a bra. You ladies know what I'm talking about :wink: At first it was almost unbearable and I thought I'd never be able to do it. I still think the mask laws go too far and there are better ways of handling this. But I can pretend I'm a doctor when I wear one :)

I think we need to get used to it.

You say you think there are better ways. Can you list a few please?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2020, 6:33 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I agree with you in theory Walrus. The problem would be in proving this disability. My autism and ADHD reports both state that I have sensory processing issues including touch and texture, but of course they don't specifically discuss the use of medical or PPE masks. Actually, my report does say I can't sleep with a CPAP mask because of my sensitivities ... so maybe that's close enough. Unfortunately I think it would be hard to substantiate the claim for a lot of people, and employers wouldn't take it seriously in order to pay people a full wage. I wish there were a solution. I'm lucky because I don't have to go anywhere that requires a mask, but if I did need to wear one I'd likely be quite uncomfortable. I wear a blindfold for sleep and that's OK, but somehow I think a face mask would cause me to fidget with it and defeat the purpose. I can't wear gloves without nearly losing my mind, so again I'm glad I only need them when I disinfect grocery deliveries.

A former colleague of mine got a letter from his employer’s head office saying he shouldn’t go to work for three months due to his asthma. So at least in the U.K. I don’t think there would be huge amounts of employer resistance. The US does have a different working culture so the same might not apply.

As you say, there is no easy solution for people without a diagnosis, or who do not share that diagnosis with their employer. One option would be to offer a bonus to people who keep working, as most supermarkets in this country have (they are making much more money now so can easily afford it). People who won’t wear masks get furloughed, with 80% of their wages paid by the government.

In this country we’ve decided that the benefits of asking the public to wear masks are outweighed by the mask shortage that causes. As Jimmy and others have said, most masks have very limited impacts on transmission even when worn, taken off, and disposed of all in the correct fashion.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 7:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m an irregular poster....but I’m okay :P

Oh, I'm keeping track of your health. Was your test negative for antibodies or the virus?

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2020, 8:51 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I agree as well!

I think we need to get used to it.

You say you think there are better ways. Can you list a few please?

I think all high risk people should be quarantined and provided with free high-grade masks for when they need to go out. The rest of us, the 95% at low risk, can go back to our regular lives mask-free. The government and charities should help with delivering needed supplies to them. Also, medical treatment and testing for the virus should be reserved for the critically ill. People with a low fever and the sniffles need to stop wasting doctors' time and resources. I'm sure you guys will poke holes in my suggestion, so I'm ending my discussion of this now. I don't have time to keep this going and I'm tired of the nonsense I keep hearing. I don't like debates, it just fuels negativity and is harming my mental state. Goodbye.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 8:57 am

Not all people know they are high risk. That's the problem. People have underlying conditions which may not be diagnosed. I didn't know I had a congenital heart defect until I had my stroke at 46. Many people aren't aware they have high blood pressure, early stage liver disease, diabetes, or even a weakened immune system. Certain blood types are more susceptible than other blood types, and I bet most people in the world don't even know their blood type.

I really can't imagine rounding up all these people, removing them from society, and expecting their employers to twiddle their thumbs during the absence.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 8:57 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Goodbye.

Thank you.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2020, 12:21 pm

Dear_one wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Goodbye.

Thank you.

I'm fighting and protesting the mask laws. Others feel the same. Our president feels the same. There are lawyers who agree and will defend us. Don't like that? Tough.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2020, 12:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Not all people know they are high risk. That's the problem. People have underlying conditions which may not be diagnosed. I didn't know I had a congenital heart defect until I had my stroke at 46. Many people aren't aware they have high blood pressure, early stage liver disease, diabetes, or even a weakened immune system. Certain blood types are more susceptible than other blood types, and I bet most people in the world don't even know their blood type.

I really can't imagine rounding up all these people, removing them from society, and expecting their employers to twiddle their thumbs during the absence.

Many of us are willing to roll the dice. As I said, what if corona never existed and you got some other kind of infection? As for their jobs, let them work from home or provide government assistance until the threat is over. The quarantine would be voluntary at that person's discretion.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 12:33 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Goodbye.

Thank you.

I'm fighting and protesting the mask laws. Others feel the same. Our president feels the same. There are lawyers who agree and will defend us. Don't like that? Tough.

So, you admit that you lie readily?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 12:37 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Many of us are willing to roll the dice. As I said, what if corona never existed and you got some other kind of infection? As for their jobs, let them work from home or provide government assistance until the threat is over. The quarantine would be voluntary at that person's discretion.

I agree to an extent, but again I don't know how to put it in practice with employers. Joe A has high blood pressure and decides to work. Joe B says he has high blood pressure and wants job security and full wage whilst he stays home. Joe C has a doctor's note but Joe D's doctor won't write one even though his BP is the highest of them all. Joe E needs to use up all his sick days but Joe F has a long term disability package and full pay. Company 1 is tolerant of high risk groups. Company 2 isn't. I don't know how it could be law for so many people to make personal decisions and still expect to be paid. Employers would get sick of the fiasco and fire the whole lot.

Then add in "I'm perfectly fine, but my spouse / child / parent is high risk and I can't transmit to them".

When does it stop and how is this all managed?

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2020, 12:46 pm

Dear_one wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Goodbye.

Thank you.

So, you admit that you lie readily?

No I don't lie, but I have the right to change my mind. And no, what you think means nothing to me. I don't know you and judging by your beliefs, I'm glad.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 7:32 pm

And now for something completely different ... 8O

I'm not sure if I'd love that, or hate it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 7:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
And now for something completely different ... 8O

I was really expecting a man with a tape recorder up his nose. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う