Page 11 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 12:39 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
What has he said that you take offence at?

Linking a hate site (http://www.terfisaslur.com) on the first page? And repeatedly using words like "belligerent" and "authoritarian" to describe the trans community, along with the usual wingnut talking points like "PC" and "cancel culture"? And "trans ideology" which is straight-up TERF lingo? Why don't you go ahead and link us some /r/GenderCritical posts while you're at it, VegetableMan?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-happened

The first known usage of the word "TERF" is by a cisgender radical feminist named Viv Smythe. It's not a slur because it doesn't describe a marginalized group. It describes an ideology that is wholly incompatible with human freedom, dignity, and reason. Yes, J.K. Rowling is a TERF. If you believe that cisgender women should have special rights and privileges over transgender women (and support legislation to enforce this inequality), you are a TERF.

VegetableMan wrote:
I've been a supporter of LGBT rights for years.

Subtext: "I'm not transphobic, but..."

See also:

"I can't be transphobic because I have a gay sister!"

Which is just a variation of, "I'm not racist because I have black friends!"

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2019, 1:29 pm

babybird wrote:
I don't know how you would know a trans woman is a trans woman anyway, unless they wore it on a badge.

It pings that part of my brain where the "uncanny valley" off-ness lives. Asymmetrical faces ping the same as well. (That doesn't mean there aren't ppl I'm unaware of that haven't pinged it.)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 2:48 pm

Your brain would be pinging all over the place if you ever met me then.

And I'm not trans.

DragonflyGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Dec 2019, 5:01 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
A woman friend of mine is very vocal on this issue on Facebook. She has had to block every person at her workplace, knowing full well she might well be terminated for her opinions. Why post then at all you might ask. Because she believes in what she is saying and this is a fight more people should take up. But they don't because of fear.

Hilarious! You really do feel oppressed because transphobia is being challenged, don't you!

Listen. Your friend isn't going to be fired for an opinion. She hasn't had to block all her colleagues from her Facebook because they might disagree about a matter. She's blocked them so she can spout hate.

Last edited by envirozentinel on 26 Dec 2019, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.: personal attacks removed

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 6:01 pm

Now I am curious about how people in the trans community feel about the following theoretical:

Forgive me if I'm not using the correct language here. I'm not being facetious when I say the proper references and nomenclature is changing so rapidly I can't keep up with it:

What are opinions on a situation where a female to male transgender person would go to the doctor and ask for a prostate exam? Should the doctor pretend to perform one?

I'm learning new things here such as refrain from stating facts related to race, gender, biology/sex, class if some persons in said groups are offended by said facts. Or, more accurately, in addition to not speaking facts, don't even think them. Religion seems to be fair game though as do a few other categories.

Completely ignoring certain facts on any number of subjects related to humanity can actually stifle positive change and perpetuate damage and harm. In general, an attitude of "facts of which you better dare not speak" doesn't hold water with me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 6:38 pm

^^ When would such a hypothetical situation occur? Trans people are generally not stupid or crazy (at least not more so than the general population).

We’re talking about gender not biological sex. The two don’t always align.

Of course, if there has been sex reassignment surgery, the doctor could observe the parts that are there. The surgery would be in the person’s medical history.

The nomenclature hasn’t changed all that rapidly. These terms have been around for years.

The appropriate pronouns to use are the ones the person identifies as. Especially with androgynous people, it can be hard to tell whether they are biologically male or female, anyway. Should we ask to examine their genitalia or go with the pronouns they provide?

I’d suggest the latter. The former could cause a lawsuit.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 10:28 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
No one has silenced me -- yet. However, the thought police are everywhere on social media. People are being banned for relatively innocuous statements. It's PC culture gone berserk.

A woman friend of mine is very vocal on this issue on Facebook. She has had to block every person at her workplace, knowing full well she might well be terminated for her opinions. Why post then at all you might ask. Because she believes in what she is saying and this is a fight more people should take up. But they don't because of fear.

Do you have any thoughts about what should or shouldn’t be allowed and where the line should be drawn?

Are you for complete freeness of speech in every realm?

Obviously there are lines to be drawn. If somebody calls for violence against trans people, I would definitely call that out. You know, like I called out to call to violence against TERFs.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2019, 10:36 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
MushroomPrincess wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
What has he said that you take offence at?

Linking a hate site (http://www.terfisaslur.com) on the first page? And repeatedly using words like "belligerent" and "authoritarian" to describe the trans community, along with the usual wingnut talking points like "PC" and "cancel culture"? And "trans ideology" which is straight-up TERF lingo? Why don't you go ahead and link us some /r/GenderCritical posts while you're at it, VegetableMan?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-happened

The first known usage of the word "TERF" is by a cisgender radical feminist named Viv Smythe. It's not a slur because it doesn't describe a marginalized group. It describes an ideology that is wholly incompatible with human freedom, dignity, and reason. Yes, J.K. Rowling is a TERF. If you believe that cisgender women should have special rights and privileges over transgender women (and support legislation to enforce this inequality), you are a TERF.

VegetableMan wrote:
I've been a supporter of LGBT rights for years.

Subtext: "I'm not transphobic, but..."

See also:

"I can't be transphobic because I have a gay sister!"

Which is just a variation of, "I'm not racist because I have black friends!"

You might to go back and reread what I wrote about my sister.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Last edited by envirozentinel on 26 Dec 2019, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.: irrelevant comments removed

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Dec 2019, 11:39 pm

This thread's locked until further notice as needless remarks have been made that need cleaning up.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/