Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 5:41 pm

Saturday, I had a public meltdown after two ladies in my building were fighting verbally.

Today was the building's holiday party. When I showed up, one of the ladies involved in the fight looked at me, flapped her hands and mocked my meltdown. Everyone else laughed... Okay, I did say a curse to her, but I ran off in tears and ended up in the hospital...

To make it worse, the lady lives there because she has a disability of her own.

I was teased extensively as a child and highly triggered by this.... I don't understand how people can be so cruel...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm

Forget about that lady!

She's a real b***h.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 6:16 pm

She needs to grow up. So does everyone who laughed. It ain't that funny.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 11:09 pm

Some people are simply awful.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm

I'm so sorry that happened to you. People can be awful.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 10:22 am

Sometimes people who persist in their offensive behavior can be motivated to consider restraint with less subtle communication. For example, some bullies can be discouraged with a punch in the nose. Others might be incentivized if they knew that they could risk being mocked themselves.

For example, when being mocked you might say, "I see you find amusement in making fun at my expense. Perhaps this is better than your setting fire to puppies to amuse yourself."

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 12:09 pm

Glad you made it out of the hospital.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 7:21 pm

one time at work i got so frustrated about something that i had a meltdown in front of people in a bus station and i was holding a closed umbrella at the time and i went to shove it up my bum as i was yelling

yes i do stupid things like that when having one of my meltdowns.everybody laughed and some of the people still laugh about it now

lucky for me i naturally dont care what people think but i dont find their jokes about it funny

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

Carrie, I've threatened to take a closed umbrella (there is usually a big old-fashioned wooden one close by) and shove it down throats or up bums (And OPEN it) when people won't leave me alone. But it's never my own...someone else's throat/bum calls out for insertion and opening of umbrella.

The more ludicrous thoughts I think (I am going to superglue you to the refrigerator!) the less likely it is that I act on them (I will feed your second knuckle to the wolverines!) and then eventually I just run somewhere I can settle down. Autism is weird.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 9:01 pm

Then today I was on the elevator with someone else and the lady that mocked me stepped on and said "how are you today?" I almost had a panic attack and said nothing, but I got very sick rest of day...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 9:49 pm

Sorry you got so sick.

I hope you're feeling much better now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 11:55 pm

I've had people mock me like that before. I saw a mother with her two grown sons when I was out for lunch, 23 years ago. The men kept looking at me and flapping their hands. After I was done eating my lunch, I told those two men to F--- off and I told them that they were not being very nice.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 10:56 am

Angnix wrote:
Saturday, I had a public meltdown after two ladies in my building were fighting verbally.

Today was the building's holiday party. When I showed up, one of the ladies involved in the fight looked at me, flapped her hands and mocked my meltdown. Everyone else laughed... Okay, I did say a curse to her, but I ran off in tears and ended up in the hospital...

To make it worse, the lady lives there because she has a disability of her own.

I was teased extensively as a child and highly triggered by this.... I don't understand how people can be so cruel...

How long were you in the hospital?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 1:05 pm

My boyfriend's son is 19 but looks older for his age, he's not on the spectrum but suffers depression and anger issues, and he had one of his moments in a restaurant today. He picked up a bottle of sauce and he didn't notice the lid wasn't on properly and the sauce spilt all over himself. That sent him into a rage and started swearing and threatening the staff (he was not drunk). Everyone was looking at him, and his dad had to tell him to stay calm. He did calm down but his anger turned into regret, and he explained to me that he can't help getting into these rages at the slightest unexpected situation, and always feels embarrassed afterwards.

Just thought I'd share that. This young man has tried meds but they don't agree with him, and he just cannot handle unexpected situations and often embarrasses himself, which lowers his self-esteem. I feel for him.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 4:45 pm

That lady who mocked you needs IMO to "get a life."

Affinity
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2019, 12:14 pm

The fact that they were already fighting verbally in what I assume was a casual yet professional setting, is already a red flag of them, and the fact that she responded with hostility to a person upset/scared of an intense verbal fight, is indicative that the perp and the people who laughed are acting & thinking abusively/destructively.
You did nothing wrong, I'm sorry you had to deal with that, and if you still have to.