Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 10:53 pm

revlar wrote:
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
It also begs the question of how they are affording them (most are Nurses or Teachers) and how on earth they manage to get all that time off to travel throughout the year? I planned a hypothetical trip to Macchu Picchu and it's a day each way minimum just getting there.

I've also wondered the cost and time of these trips. Teachers I guess makes sense because they have summers off. For girls my age of 28, it doesn't make sense because they would've not that long ago just finished paying off their student loans, so now they're immediately spending more money? For me, it helps me judge them as not financially stable and I don't want to date someone who's irresponsibly in that way. My brother is like that and because he spends so much money on stuff and deals with the stress of not having it anymore, he's lost his hair at age 30.

But back on topic, I used Hinge and Bumble. I'm actually going to be using them again next week after taking a four month break after my previous/first girlfriend and I broke up. Hinge was how I met her, and I still stand by it despite us breaking up. I like the platform because the person you come across answers a question and you can comment his/her response. You can do the same with photos. That easily gets the ball rolling right into the middle of the conversation. No more dealing with a good first line.

Bumble is just a better dressed Tinder, which is awful and I think is solely used for hookups now. You'll get a lot more of the superficial people on Bumble, but it seems to be the most popular currently, so it's a good chance to take. Also, the whole "women make the first move" on it is kind of dumb because most of them forget to start the conversation before the time runs out and you're unmatched.

I never tried Bumble dating site.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 7:28 am

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
I think the best dating sites are those that you pay to use. The reason I think that is because people who pay to use a dating site are more likely to be serious about finding a relationship and are also more likely to be genuine.

eHarmony used to be the best because of this although I later found out the reason there were plenty of women is that they were charged significantly less. However, as the years went on they slowly allowed 'free' profiles to pollute the site, especially ones who clearly only did the questionnaire and never filled out a profile. I liked the fact that in the early years people actually spend time at a computer thinking about their questions and answers rather than the 5 second phone 'answers' that happened when I left online dating.

Majima
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2020, 9:31 am

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
I think the best dating sites are those that you pay to use. The reason I think that is because people who pay to use a dating site are more likely to be serious about finding a relationship and are also more likely to be genuine.

Would you say Match.com?

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2020, 12:29 am

Infinite amount of free accounts on free dating sites leads to low success rate. There is no top 10% of guys that stand out of the rest of the accounts. Free dating sites by design are ineffective and most people quit the sites within a month of joining up. It is like chat rooms and the fat people using model pics to trick people into meeting up.

There are no best dating sites, they are full of fakes, scammers, catfish and time wasters. The fake model profiles with obvious professional pics are used to lure idiots into to paying for subscriptions that does not lead to a better user experience. In some cases when a person signs up for a subscription their account gets banned and they keep having funds taking out of their account for months or years later.

It is hard to cancel subscription because there is a lack of admin support and they will claim you broke their terms of service or some other excuse and you must pay them for nothing. Only contacting your bank and cancelling card will stop the payments.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 2:57 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
AlanMooresBeard wrote:

eHarmony used to be the best because of this although I later found out the reason there were plenty of women is that they were charged significantly less. However, as the years went on they slowly allowed 'free' profiles to pollute the site, especially ones who clearly only did the questionnaire and never filled out a profile. I liked the fact that in the early years people actually spend time at a computer thinking about their questions and answers rather than the 5 second phone 'answers' that happened when I left online dating.

I never had luck on eHarmony.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 8:00 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I never had luck on eHarmony.

Aside from the Mrs., I never really did either. I only seriously dated one person and they later turned out to be a lesbian after I "made a move". At least though most of the people were actually real, even if they were already married to their travel lifestyle. To summarize:

POF: Full of scary, nasty, emotionally disturbed people. Some openly admit they have serious psychiatric conditions.
OKCupid: Full of flaky, serial daters who apparently almost all are into "alternative" or "unique" lifestyles (apparently everyone there hates cars, meat eaters and those are aren't hardcore lefties). Plenty of dates but all were complete wastes of time. I learned what the term 'ghosting' meant there because nearly everybody there did it.
Match: It was obvious a large number of my matches were clearly fake so I didn't proceed any further. Seemed to be geared towards the social, partygoer single.
eHarmony: Full of travel and career obsessed women and it is very easy to see why such good looking people are still single. Amazing how similar most of the profiles on that site were. At least there were more women than men but it's rather pointless when 80% of them brag about spending literally all their free time traveling.
Tinder: I became popular after my time but in my limited experience it is full of overwhelmingly superficial, shallow people who decide within seconds if you are worth talking to.

In other words, it might have been the 'best' but I would have been better served spending my time and money (I spent probably $400 on eHarmony alone) in other avenues, such as Meetup.

Quote:
It is hard to cancel subscription because there is a lack of admin support and they will claim you broke their terms of service or some other excuse and you must pay them for nothing. Only contacting your bank and cancelling card will stop the payments.

Yes, I had that $#@#$ with eHarmony: they renewed my subscription even though I cancelled. Apparently even if you cancel (at least at the time) once you talk to a match it automatically checks the renew box. I called and they are very rude about my 'unusual refund request' before sending me a condescending email. I made it clear that I wanted out and luckily never heard from them after that.