Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Majima
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2019, 7:01 pm

What have you found to be the best dating sites for people on the spectrum?

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2019, 8:17 pm

I like OkCupid. You can see questions they answered, and have a better feel of their personality. It gives you more information than other dating sites, which I've always liked. But I am not a fan of their messaging system.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 1:30 pm

Plenty Of Fish is not a good dating site for anybody

slam
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2019, 6:25 pm

I have only tried tinder and I barely get any matches or likes, so I don't recommend.

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2019, 2:58 pm

Going to second OKC. And the complaint about messaging.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2019, 1:34 am

I met my boyfriend on OkCupid over 11 months ago. I tried Match.com, Harmony.com, Plenty of Fish & more dating sites.

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2019, 5:16 pm

Meet my AS girl on a video game I wasn't looking for anyone we just hit it off I knew was different but she had a heart of gold.
We lived 750 miles apart ended up moving to where she was dated in person for 6 or 7 months got married and have been married for 11 years

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2019, 5:39 pm

Dating sites suck and have become time wasting swipe games. Instead of profile content it is now all about the photos.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2019, 5:44 pm

^ It was always about the photos ; it's simply the site owners only realized that lately (they do dig into deep stats).

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 7:30 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Dating sites suck and have become time wasting swipe games. Instead of profile content it is now all about the photos.

To be fair, when I did online dating by the time I quit for good (2015) I would say literally 80% of the profiles were almost word for word copies to the point I assumed they were bots. Long story short it turns out that many were real women. What caught my attention from my wife was not her interests, age, hobbies etc but the fact she sounded like a realistic person and did not spout out all the ridiculous "original" clichés. When all the profiles look alike, what else other than photos do you have to go on? By the end I was actually interested in someone solely if they didn't have a picture in front of a famous world landmark, especially Macchu Picchu as it was obvious the main reason many of the women online weren't in relationships was that they were already married to the travel bug.

revlar
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2020, 9:27 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:

a picture in front of a famous world landmark, especially Macchu Picchu.

So true. For a while, on my dating profile bio I had "Am I the only person who hasn't been to Macchu Picchu?"

I would immediately swipe left on profiles that had the prompt and answer "What you're looking for in a relationship? Someone who likes to travel." Everybody likes to travel (for the most part). You're not writing anything new that exemplifies your personality except that you're just another sheep. I too look for the genuine ones that had different answers from the rest.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jan 2020, 10:02 pm

revlar wrote:
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:

a picture in front of a famous world landmark, especially Macchu Picchu.

So true. For a while, on my dating profile bio I had "Am I the only person who hasn't been to Macchu Picchu?"

I would immediately swipe left on profiles that had the prompt and answer "What you're looking for in a relationship? Someone who likes to travel." Everybody likes to travel (for the most part). You're not writing anything new that exemplifies your personality except that you're just another sheep. I too look for the genuine ones that had different answers from the rest.
It's possible some photoshopped their pix so they'd seem more worldly.
I ruled out the 1s who liked to travel because I didn't think we'd be compatible. I actually hate traveling & have always been a homebody. I much rather spend time with my partner in the comfort of our own place than traveling somewhere new. I'm NOT a social person & I like routine & predictability. Plus my mind is slow & I cant process a lot of stuff while traveling. I actually didn't like going to Disney World the two times I went as a kid cuz I would of much rathered stay home watching TV & playing vidoe-games during my holiday off from skewl.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 10:22 am

nick007 wrote:
I ruled out the 1s who liked to travel because I didn't think we'd be compatible. I actually hate traveling & have always been a homebody. I much rather spend time with my partner in the comfort of our own place than traveling somewhere new. I'm NOT a social person & I like routine & predictability. Plus my mind is slow & I cant process a lot of stuff while traveling. I actually didn't like going to Disney World the two times I went as a kid cuz I would of much rathered stay home watching TV & playing vidoe-games during my holiday off from skewl.

It's not that I don't like to travel (I still want to go to Disney World and will probably take my son there if he asks to go) but many of these women literally live to travel and take 2-3 international trips a year. It also begs the question of how they are affording them (most are Nurses or Teachers) and how on earth they manage to get all that time off to travel throughout the year? I planned a hypothetical trip to Macchu Picchu and it's a day each way minimum just getting there.

That's not even getting into how so many of these women are insistent they want a family. Ignoring the Husband side of the equation, do they ever stop and think how incredibly difficult it is to travel with a baby, particularly outside of North America and Europe? How expensive kids can be? How much time and attention they need? I'm starting to believe that many of them are overgrown children and that's why they continue to be single despite seeming to be very attractive.

I do believe the first words out of my now wife's mouth were: "I have never been married, never engaged and I don't like to travel". Combined with her incredible good looks that pretty much sealed the deal for me! To further show how bad these sites are, she was on eHarmony, I ignored her twice and she was a "flex match", where they send you "long shot" matches outside your parameters.

To answer the OP's question, I had far better luck on Meetup.com (where my wife first saw me) even though it is not a dating site (and I met someone there who was batpoop crazy).

revlar
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2020, 4:35 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
It also begs the question of how they are affording them (most are Nurses or Teachers) and how on earth they manage to get all that time off to travel throughout the year? I planned a hypothetical trip to Macchu Picchu and it's a day each way minimum just getting there.

I've also wondered the cost and time of these trips. Teachers I guess makes sense because they have summers off. For girls my age of 28, it doesn't make sense because they would've not that long ago just finished paying off their student loans, so now they're immediately spending more money? For me, it helps me judge them as not financially stable and I don't want to date someone who's irresponsibly in that way. My brother is like that and because he spends so much money on stuff and deals with the stress of not having it anymore, he's lost his hair at age 30.

But back on topic, I used Hinge and Bumble. I'm actually going to be using them again next week after taking a four month break after my previous/first girlfriend and I broke up. Hinge was how I met her, and I still stand by it despite us breaking up. I like the platform because the person you come across answers a question and you can comment his/her response. You can do the same with photos. That easily gets the ball rolling right into the middle of the conversation. No more dealing with a good first line.

Bumble is just a better dressed Tinder, which is awful and I think is solely used for hookups now. You'll get a lot more of the superficial people on Bumble, but it seems to be the most popular currently, so it's a good chance to take. Also, the whole "women make the first move" on it is kind of dumb because most of them forget to start the conversation before the time runs out and you're unmatched.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2020, 12:49 pm

I think the best dating sites are those that you pay to use. The reason I think that is because people who pay to use a dating site are more likely to be serious about finding a relationship and are also more likely to be genuine.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 10:44 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ It was always about the photos ; it's simply the site owners only realized that lately (they do dig into deep stats).

I mostly read the profile too.