Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2019, 11:02 pm

Carrying over from the Interview thread, name something you find absolutely ridiculous that is considered normal.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm

Getting really drunk

QuillBilly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2019, 1:01 pm

Hitting each other for fun.

Very likely an Aspie

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2020, 10:28 pm

People get sent to prison for murder but it's ok when soldiers do it.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:27 pm

Everything normal-- except those things that have moral value , and/or benefit humanity (eg sports), is ridiculous to me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:34 pm

Saying that weather forecasters are “always“ wrong.

Saying that doctors “never” listen.

Saying that “nothing” ever goes right.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:35 pm

Big weddings and the majority of traditions that accompany them.

“I’m just here for the cake.”

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 1:14 am

Incorrect use of the conditional "if".

Weather reporter: "If you are going to Paris, it will be sunny and 25 degrees".

(If you don't go, will it will be cloudy and ... 20?)

I didn't know that people's travel plans determine the weather.

They should say "In case you are going .... "

The phrase "no later than".

"We're leaving no later than 5".

(Delay the person one minute and they'll never, ever leave?! Really??) 8O

Use of the word "irregardless", which means "not regardless"?

It's a double negative, which implies something does have regard.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 1:50 am

Fashion trends, word usage trends that come from movies

newcomer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2020, 12:16 pm

The economical and pension system as it is operating today.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2020, 12:55 pm

SentientPotato wrote:
Carrying over from the Interview thread, name something you find absolutely ridiculous that is considered normal.

I know nothing of the interview thread, but I'm watching a whole "intelligent" species destroy their supporting ecosystem.

People spend great efforts to save one animal, and then kill many others to feed it.
People love their pets, but eat other animals that would have been loving pets if given a chance.
A good bicycle will carry 10X its weight, but cars seldom carry 10% of theirs. It is absurd for any land vehicle to outweigh its payload, but we use tons of steel to project an image.
There are more vacant homes than homeless people in the US.
Elections are fought with money and trickery, not moderated debates.
There are billionaires and starving people in the same cities.
We let corporations moderate our social connections and warp them.
People buy things even if it requires work that they would refuse themselves, or is illegal.
There are magazines about rich people, and very tight surveillance of poor people, but no access to the meetings of the rich.
Whistleblowers are in jail, instead of getting promoted rapidly.
Progressive people accept racism and sexism rather than blaming the rich white men specifically instead of white men in general.
Half of the medical expenses in a person's life are now used to extend the last, useless, agonizing year instead of being diverted to help youth.
I struggled to do R&D my whole life, and now that I'm not so sharp, I get a pension that would have produced great dividends earlier.
The best products always have inferior marketing, because they present no challenge for the best marketers.
For years, I wanted a faster computer for CAD. Now, I need one just for the ads on the 'net, to access the content. It would be cheaper to use micro-payments for the information.
The whole patent and copyright system stifles innovation to support an army of lawyers. The 'net not only makes it easy to copy and co-create, but also to track contributions and popularity. We should be paying small royalties from general revenue, mostly to enhance reputations, and share it all.

"Everyone knows inventors are crazy.
Inventors know everyone is crazy."

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 9:33 pm

I love your list! Esp the rich men thing. Rich people always manage to escape blame or accountability-- except in very rare cases. I don't think that applies to race or gender, it's just wealth itself. It's like the lady who falsely accused Prophet Joseph, she was from the wealthy part of society. Even when she was exposed nothing happened to her. Even the second time, after all those years he had spent for a crime he hadn't committed (and such a horrifying accusation too), she got no punishment, nothing, for it. (Not that wealth = bad, but that 'normal' people tend to overlook a person's mistakes, dishonesty, and crimes if that person happens to be rich).

Also I love the part about things being twisted and crippled to support 'an army of lawyers' - many people told me this about modern life, esp in North America. That in special needs, most of the nonsense that makes things tough and wastes time (precious time for kids), is red tape to protect them from lawyers, and that the whole suing and law thing gets so out of hand- everyone is held up because of a few people using lawyers in everything.

You know what, here's an example, my son's therapist, last year she was dealing with a client of hers (in his twenties but severe ASD) who had done nothing but snatched a phone from a nearby kid at the park. That was it. Nothing more. He had no impulse control or understanding and wanted the phone to see his Videos (as he was used to) so he took it. That's ALL . It was immediately returned, no biggie, all went home.
NOW.. the boy's parents (the boy whose phone was snatched) decided to turn this into a suing case and made their kid lie and pretend he was traumatized- - and then (2019 dont know if its still going on) that poor family (INNOCENT people with severe ASD son who happens to be an adult) ... were being sued and in court... spending MONEY they did not HAVE, for these horrible selfish people's whim.

And only lawyers benefit, at the end of the day, in reality (and I bet the whole thing disgusts them too) but the bad people think it's worthwhile, they don't realize they are holding their own lives up and everyone else's lives up, for their senseless need to get revenge/get money 'compensation' etc... It's a freaking special needs severe autistic man... get a life! Have some compassion! But no.

GonHunter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2020, 9:42 pm

Call autism an illness
Say "good morning"
Close a discussion without letting me talk
Delete a message before I can read
Judge people by their appearance/posture