Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2019, 5:34 pm

Well, I've hit that point in life where I'm getting hot flashes. I hate this. I'm constantly too hot. I have a shower and I'm sweaty again straight away. By the time I get to work I'm a hot sweaty mess and have to go drink a bottle of cold water and run my hands under the cold tap for a couple of minutes.

It's uncomfortable. I feel like a really unattractive sweaty mess.

I hate it!

Any advice?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 4:49 am

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I've heard that eating more soy products may help reduce hot flashes, because of the phytoestrogens? Maybe with reduction in meat and dairy? Well, they say Japanese women rarely get them because of their diet.
Might be just hearsay though, I'm not sure.
(I haven't had many hot flashes yet, only occasionally at night, so that's something to look forward to, I guess)

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 10:08 am

You're a few years ahead of me. Sorry for the inconvenience (and then some). I'm still dealing with significant hormonal mood changes.

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2019, 11:20 am

I only get them when I eat the wrong food, which is basically anything except vegetables. Carbs in veg are fine but others set them off. I ate a couple of cupcakes at Christmas and my temperatures
went through the roof! Even dried fruit sets them off. I can't eat soy either as it gives me headaches so I don't know if the hormone like substance helps or not but I had heard thatit helps too.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2019, 3:21 pm

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/resources/topics/hot-flushes

There’s a ton of good information on that site for women.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 5:39 pm

Well, I had my period and now I'm actually cold. I'll maybe have a week before I start overheating again.

I read the link and I wonder if I can get tests to fund put what hormones are out of balance.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 7:38 pm

I've always been sensitive to heat, not just at menopause.

My way of coping has been to dress in layers, wearing something cool at the bottom layer, so I can quickly add and remove layers as needed in order to feel comfortable.

Also I strongly prefer to wear clothes made of some breathable material, such as cotton or cotton blends. This includes wearing sports bra made of some breathable material, rather than a normal nylon (or whatever other sticky material they commonly use these days) bra.

Sometimes I also put some folded-up paper towel beneath my breasts, inside the bra, to absorb sweat.