Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2020, 7:10 am

It will be interesting to see what happens, if Bernie Sanders is elected President of the United States. After all, he did promise Free Tuition for Colleges and Universities. Now, if everyone who wants to go to Higher Education could, and would, then the Campuses will become overcrowded, and hence seed beds of crime. This will be especially true, once the Inner Cities send most of their young men and women off there. Soon, Colleges and Universities shall no longer be Colleges and Universities anymore, but rather the slums of the future!

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 7:22 am

Free college cannot happen, because every single product would be turned into a "college".

The college of Gun shooting
The college of Parachuting
The college of Race car driving
The college of Wine tasting
The college of Cruise Ship exploration <-- I would be going for PHD in that.

Be the hero of your life.

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2020, 7:33 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Free college cannot happen, because every single product would be turned into a "college".

The college of Gun shooting
The college of Parachuting
The college of Race car driving
The college of Wine tasting
The college of Cruise Ship exploration <-- I would be going for PHD in that.

Interesting point. I never thought of that!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2020, 7:35 am

Somehow it doesn't look like this in Europe.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 9:23 am

magz wrote:

Likely, they don't give you freedom to choose what you want to study.

Likely, some bureaucrat has already eliminated numerous curriculums, like race car driving school.

So, it's not "free college", but rather, "state sponsored free college".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 9:27 am

That is NOT going to happen if Bernie Sanders becomes President.

All this reminds me of my brother.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 11:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That is NOT going to happen if Bernie Sanders becomes President.

All this reminds me of my brother.

True. The economical mechanics behind free health care, free college, free food, free everything are imaginary. I kinda have had an interest to watch various finance related topics/economy for the past 14 yrs as well as work in that industry for a while. 2008 crash was kinda scary financially but also in the ways regular people reacted. It got ugly.

The one thing I'll say here is if anyone has time look at an overlapping chart of (a) China's GDP %'s for the last 15 years and (b) compare it to ours over the same amount of time. Compare the amount of production jobs vs. service jobs in the US for the last 25 yrs. Production jobs generally operate on a principle or ratio of 6:1; that is that every blue collar or production worker that produces $1, generates around $6 in the economy. When a petro-dollar is used as a trade currency anywhere in the world, it is hypotesized to create a 1:5 in credit spending in the US. There is a lot more but ehhhhh...

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
magz wrote:

Likely, some bureaucrat has already eliminated numerous curriculums, like race car driving school.

I am struggling to believe you just wrote that. Really? you assumed "free college" meant literally no one was going to pay the professors, staff, pay for the buildings and maintenance? you really felt the need to point out that it means tax funded, and therefore, race-car driving is unlikely to be a college-course?

or did you mean free as in unrestricted as to who and what gets to call itself a college?
May I remind you that religious institutions in the US are allowed to confer PhDs on people? The writer Hunter Thompson got one, so he could say of himself that he was a doctor. He had a doctorate in "eternal life".

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 1:57 pm

shlaifu wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
magz wrote:

I am struggling to believe you just wrote that. Really? you assumed "free college" meant literally no one was going to pay the professors, staff, pay for the buildings and maintenance? you really felt the need to point out that it means tax funded, and therefore, race-car driving is unlikely to be a college-course?

or did you mean free as in unrestricted as to who and what gets to call itself a college?
May I remind you that religious institutions in the US are allowed to confer PhDs on people? The writer Hunter Thompson got one, so he could say of himself that he was a doctor. He had a doctorate in "eternal life".

Right, the "doctorate in eternal life" wouldn't be allowed.

Some actual unusual ones in the US
University of Connecticut - degree in puppetry
Columbia University - degree in story telling
Appalachian State University - fermentation sciences (how to make beer and wine)
Dakota State University = ethical hacking (how to hack computers)
University of Houston - degree in foresight (how to be a "futurist")

https://www.collegeconsensus.com/rankin ... y-degrees/")

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2020, 9:55 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
magz wrote:

Right, the "doctorate in eternal life" wouldn't be allowed.

Some actual unusual ones in the US
University of Connecticut - degree in puppetry
Columbia University - degree in story telling
Appalachian State University - fermentation sciences (how to make beer and wine)
Dakota State University = ethical hacking (how to hack computers)
University of Houston - degree in foresight (how to be a "futurist")

https://www.collegeconsensus.com/rankin ... y-degrees/")

Yeah, puppetry is rarely considered an art form, but I'm sure it has a rich history...
They're all unusual, but I can see how they might actually be all interesting...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 10:19 am

Check out Punch and Judy sometime.....and, of course, the Muppets.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 11:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Check out Punch and Judy sometime.....and, of course, the Muppets.

Mr. Rogers did some slick puppetry too. The king was my favorite

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 11:48 am

Isn’t it amazing how many people claim to know with absolute certainty exactly what future events will be?

Not so amazing is when their predictions turn out to be completely inaccurate.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jan 2020, 4:23 am

Of course "free" universities mean state-fund universities. How would you imagine it otherwise?

And, when it comes to "then everyone wants to study", universities can do something they have been doing here for decades: killer entry exams for popular majors and killer first year for less popular but still wanting to keep their level high.

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2020, 5:16 am

magz wrote:
Of course "free" universities mean state-fund universities. How would you imagine it otherwise?

And, when it comes to "then everyone wants to study", universities can do something they have been doing here for decades: killer entry exams for popular majors and killer first year for less popular but still wanting to keep their level high.

Or, they might not be so wise. They could make the entry exams easier for popular majors and easier first years. You see, they will dumb down everything, so more and more will enter Colleges and Universities, until they do become overpopulated. Then, as I foresee, they will become the Slums of the Future!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jan 2020, 6:16 am

They have university overpopulation in France where pressures on egalitarianism disallows practices common in the former Eastern Block.
Nope, they don't end up with slums. Just irrationally expensive apartament lease prices and overcrowded university halls.
Students can commute. I did.
An university itself has limited capacity and this fills up faster than living area around it.