Page 9 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 5:08 am

Interesting that he mentioned participation ribbons. I've heard a lot of talk about participation ribbons and participation trophies and variants thereof from boomers. I've heard a lot of people talking about participation trophies but I've never actually seen one. The only people I've ever heard mention them were people who were complaining about them.

I've been accused of going to a school that handed out participation trophies willy-nilly but when I was in school, I'd never heard of them (and even if I did get one, it would have been a boomer teacher handing them out). I'm not sure if they actually exist. If they do exist, their prevalence must have been exaggerated.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2020, 5:24 am

Millennials simply do not care what Boomers have to say.
Millennials will continue to blame Boomers for making life harder for us younger generations.
Millennials will continue to blame Boomers for destroying the environment.
Millennials will continue to blame Boomers for ruining our future: increasing house prices, education and health to unaffordable levels.
Millennials will continue to blame the Boomer generation.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 6:00 am

Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Millennials simply do not care what Boomers have to say.
Millennials will continue to blame Boomers for making life harder for us younger generations.
Millennials will continue to blame Boomers for destroying the environment.
Millennials will continue to blame Boomers for ruining our future: increasing house prices, education and health to unaffordable levels.
Millennials will continue to blame the Boomer generation.

So let's all of us just move on with our lives.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 8:07 pm

Fury over BMW's 'OK, boomer' social media jibe: Customers react angrily as the German car giant posts ill-judged tweet when promoting its new EV

Quote:
German car giant BMW has come under fire over a controversial social media advert for its new flagship electric car that gratuitously insults the post war baby boomer generation which makes up the core of its well-heeled customers.

Critics have reacted angrily to a post on Twitter for its new flagship iX electric sports activity vehicle – the subject of a major global launch this month before going on sale next year priced from around £85,000.

"Ok Boomer.
And what's your reason not to change?

The first-ever BMV iX"

BMW Apologizes for “Ok Boomer” Tweet
Quote:
In a recent follow-up tweet, BMW apologized, saying “No matter what age you are, we hear you. We are sorry, it wasn’t our intention to insult anyone with meme slang. The way into the new world of mobility is bumpy, but we hope you join us on the journey.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 8:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

The sort of person who would take offense at this probably wouldn't spend £85,000 on that vehicle.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 11:29 pm

I'm an Xer.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 1:10 am

I don't see this as any different than not being able to tell people they are stupid and not do verbal abuse.

Boomers are actually the ones who changed how kids were raised today. Talking to them instead and let them be their own person and have their own personality and interests and their own opinions and make their own decisions. Boomers were also the ones that decided instead of hitting your kids, there are other ways of raising them than using the belt or your hand. It all changed in the 1970's when they started having kids and decided to raise their own differently and this is where we are today. Of course the older generation think kids and Millennials today are spoiled and lazy. But you gotta thank the boomers for that. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 1:13 am

Fnord wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ME: “You should have a full-time job before you buy a new car.”
HE: ”OK, boomer.” (Buys a new car, which gets repossessed six months later.)

ME: “Maybe you should find out more about this girl before you shack up with her.”
HE: “OK, boomer.” (Shacks up. Comes home one day to find her and all of his valuables have gone missing.)

ME: “If you’ve been drinking, maybe you should call an Uber driver.”
HE: “OK, boomer.” (Drives drunk, passes out, ploughs into 3 parked cars, loses license.)

The phrase “OK, boomer” seems to be used most often by younger people who want to dismiss an older person’s wisdom and do what they want.

In my experience, it’s mostly used by 19 year olds who mock me for knowing what a CD is :evil:
... cassettes ... 8-tracks ... 78s ... 45s ...

Hey I know what all those are and I was born in the 1980's.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 1:31 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
But why would people who are dismissive of safe spaces want safe spaces?

Because humans are hypocrites. Because many boomers don’t realize they had safe spaces but they were not called that back then. They called them fraternal organizations or professional organizations, or sisterhoods, or country music bars, or rock music clubs, or historical societies,or gated neighborhoods, or lily white neighborhoods. They were places where people who had similarities can talk with people like them without “outsiders” who would not understand.

The difference is today’s safe spaces are more conspicuous. They are in more formally public spaces, they are formally designated as safe spaces and are quite open with discriminating against others and about being “triggered” by different type of people. Back then is was more unspoken understandings and euphemisms.

You are correct that even the other side wants a safe space. They do not want to be called on on their racism or bigotry and other things they were taught that were now wrong. But then they try to say we want a safe space and we are snowflakes and that we are intolerant. They also want their own safe space as well and to be free from any consequences and from being called out.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:47 am

League_Girl wrote:
Boomers are actually the ones who changed how kids were raised today. Talking to them instead and let them be their own person and have their own personality and interests and their own opinions and make their own decisions. Boomers were also the ones that decided instead of hitting your kids, there are other ways of raising them than using the belt or your hand. It all changed in the 1970's when they started having kids and decided to raise their own differently and this is where we are today. Of course the older generation think kids and Millennials today are spoiled and lazy. But you gotta thank the boomers for that. :wink:

Spot on.
Americans have a bad habit of overcorrecting for problems. How Boomers raised their kids is a prime example of this problem.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
“OK Boomer” is insulting to older folks.

My encounters with Millennials have been similar to my encounters with Boomers: a mixed bag.

People forget that Boomers were probably much more rebellious than Millennials are today. It’s not like we’re all stodgy grampas.

I have no similar insulting meme for Millennials—so let’s cut the OK Boomer crap, unless it’s in jest.

Yeah, okay Boomer... :roll:

Seriously, how old are Millennials? The term seems to be liberally applied to teenagers as well as to people in their 40s. Pretty broad brush. How do you define Millennials?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:14 am

I've noticed youngsters use it to anyone who's older than them...

I'm a millennial and they direct it at me...

I'd prefer to get rid of 'Karen'. Don't see why an older woman complaining is worse than anyone else complaining*. Apart from the age old double prejudice against older, and thus less conventionally attractive, women.

And if she's a 'Karen' cos she's acting a bigot, just call her a bigot.

*They say unnecessarily but surely that's subjective?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 7:16 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
“OK Boomer” is insulting to older folks.

My encounters with Millennials have been similar to my encounters with Boomers: a mixed bag.

People forget that Boomers were probably much more rebellious than Millennials are today. It’s not like we’re all stodgy grampas.

I have no similar insulting meme for Millennials—so let’s cut the OK Boomer crap, unless it’s in jest.

Yeah, okay Boomer... :roll:

Seriously, how old are Millennials? The term seems to be liberally applied to teenagers as well as to people in their 40s. Pretty broad brush. How do you define Millennials?

Anyone who's old enough to have seen the start of the millennium, but only if they're young enough to have been a child at the time.

Boomers are anyone who was born in the post-war baby boom of the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 9:35 am

KT67 wrote:
Anyone who's old enough to have seen the start of the millennium, but only if they're young enough to have been a child at the time.

Boomers are anyone who was born in the post-war baby boom of the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s.

I have issues with how most people define generational cohorts and I believe it leads to miscommunication. I prefer to categorize based on what people can remember.

The Vietnam War was the single most overpowering public event in the formative years of the Early Boomers whereas Late Boomers don't remember it and tend to be considerably more conservative as a result. Early Gen-X experienced the malaise of the late 70s followed by Reagan-era recovery and the putative victory of the US over the USSR ending the Cold War, and are similarly conservative. Late Gen-X came of age during the post-Cold War Grunge era and were influenced by its cynicism. They may be more akin to Millennials than Early Gen-X.

I believe most people identified as Boomers are either Late Boomer or Early Gen-X (many of the latter have become significantly grizzled by now). Early Boomers (on average) skew more to the left, in particular they share Millennials' lack of admiration for vested authority, and some feel considerable sympathy for the Millennial point of view. However as they are getting old and more and more are retired, they have also become less visible.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 11:11 am

MaxE wrote:
KT67 wrote:

I have issues with how most people define generational cohorts and I believe it leads to miscommunication. I prefer to categorize based on what people can remember.

The Vietnam War was the single most overpowering public event in the formative years of the Early Boomers whereas Late Boomers don't remember it and tend to be considerably more conservative as a result. Early Gen-X experienced the malaise of the late 70s followed by Reagan-era recovery and the putative victory of the US over the USSR ending the Cold War, and are similarly conservative. Late Gen-X came of age during the post-Cold War Grunge era and were influenced by its cynicism. They may be more akin to Millennials than Early Gen-X.

I believe most people identified as Boomers are either Late Boomer or Early Gen-X (many of the latter have become significantly grizzled by now). Early Boomers (on average) skew more to the left, in particular they share Millennials' lack of admiration for vested authority, and some feel considerable sympathy for the Millennial point of view. However as they are getting old and more and more are retired, they have also become less visible.

US direct participation in Vietnam ended in ‘73, the communists won the war in ‘75 so even the youngest boomer remembers something of it. I was born in ‘57 and I do remember the riots, the protests, assassinations etc. but I was too young to participate in any meaningful way and too young to be drafted. The big political event in my High School years was Watergate so we were “grizzled” early on.

Off Topic
Theory=mine:
The mid to late 70’s was not a comfortable time to grow up conservative. The Vietnam War they championed ended up in flaming defeat, your “law and order” President Nixon betrayed them and had to resign because he was a crook. Under Nixon both houses of Congress were in the hands of Democrats. In the post Watergate ‘74 mid term elections democrats had massive gains to add to their already big advantage and took the White House in ‘76. The counterculture was mainstream. While there was no cancel culture they were an outlier in politics and society.

They were satiated during the Reagan years but when that draft dodging ex hippie Clinton won and won again they were triggered and started seeing all sorts of conspiracies. Why? They had grown up with real conspiracies such as Watergate, the different plots to assassinate Castro. The JFK assassination conspiracy theories were in full bloom in the ‘70s, the movies of the era such as ‘Executive Action’ centered around malevolent conspiracies by the government. Aided by first talk radio and then social media, we are where we are.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 11:21 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
US direct participation in Vietnam ended in ‘73, the communists won the war in ‘75 so even the youngest boomer remembers something of it. I was born in ‘57 and I do remember the riots, the protests, assassinations etc. but I was too young to participate in any meaningful way and too young to be drafted.

My wife was also born in 1957 and she and I have a similar world view, however before meeting her I dated a young woman born in 1959 who, on one occasion when she was questioning the future of our relationship (she later admitted that her interest in me had always been primarily physical) she bluntly stated she had no personal recall of the Vietnam War after I mentioned it during a conversation. According to her, that meant I was too old for her. When I met my wife, I underestimated her age (guessing her to be about 24 when she was actually 27 at the time) and feared we would have the same "problem". For that reason I was actually relieved to learn she was older.

EDIT: Bear in mind that, according to most folks' reckoning, I (born 1952) and the young woman born in 1959 would both be thought of as "boomers".