Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 9:09 am

Puerto Rico hit by magnitude 5.8 earthquake

Quote:
The U.S. Geological Service reported that a 5.8-magnitude earthquake hit Puerto Rico early Monday morning, according to The Associated Press.

The earthquake hit off Puerto Rico’s southern coast with an epicenter just eight miles south of the barrio of Indios. It was one of the strongest in a series of intermittent quakes over the last week, according to Angel Vazquez, the emergency management director for the Puerto Rican southern coastal city of Ponce.

“This is one of the strongest quakes to date since it started shaking on Dec. 28,” Vasquez told the AP. “It lasted a long time.”

Although no injuries or major structural damage were reported in the immediate aftermath of the quake, Vasquez said power outages were reported in some parts of the country, and residents also reported minor landslides temporarily closing some roads along the southern coast.

he previous quakes began around Dec. 28 and have ranged in magnitude from 4.7 to 5.1, according to the AP, with some reportedly knocking goods off supermarket shelves and cracking homes.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 10:02 am

Aren't they still trying to recover from that hurricane?

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2020, 2:21 pm

A 5.8 isn't going to do too much on its own, but they haven't recovered from the hurricanes. This isn't helping.