Taking an online course to avoid social disappointment

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 11:47 am

I decided to take another college course but it will be online this time around. I just can’t bear the social demands I get being around other students and I am sick of being disappointed when my hopes that things will be different do not happen. It’s not a course I initially wanted to take but it’s something that’s been in the back of mind since I failed to finish it before in the past.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 11:55 am

How did you do in the previous course?

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2020, 11:56 am

You should focus on doing things that you enjoy doing and try to make a better life.
You have Aspergers and it makes social interactions difficult and never goes away.
You are not to blame for having Aspergers it is rotten bad luck you have been dealt in life.
Online course will allow you to be focused towards getting the best results without any distractions and no disappointments from social rejections.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 12:04 pm

Are you trying to make friends??? I guess for some people it would be hard to resist trying to make friends while surrounded by people

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 2:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How did you do in the previous course?

I passed but I didn’t make any new friends or get a coffee date so I don’t feel like I broke any new ground.

green0star wrote:
Are you trying to make friends??? I guess for some people it would be hard to resist trying to make friends while surrounded by people

I’ve tried but it’s always backfired on me. I was actually told by others college was going to be better socially for me and I would even find my life partner there. I feel like I was lied to.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 6:23 am

Good for you. Maybe you'll do better in this course since you can just focus on studying.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 12:38 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Good for you. Maybe you'll do better in this course since you can just focus on studying.

Well, I actually passed the last course but I don’t feel like I made any headway despite that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 12:39 pm

What will you be studying?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 12:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Personal/Community Health. Not my initial choice, though. I was hoping the Creative Writing course was open but the advisor I talked to said it hasn’t been available for years.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 12:51 pm

Marknis wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Personal/Community Health. Not my initial choice, though. I was hoping the Creative Writing course was open but the advisor I talked to said it hasn’t been available for years.

Good luck, Marknis. I hope you do well.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 4:47 am

Marknis wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

Well, I actually passed the last course but I don’t feel like I made any headway despite that.

Then maybe you can pass this one with even better grades. :D

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2020, 7:07 am

You will face even more disappointment when the majority of recruiters and employers do not recognise your online course. So you will have wasted time and money for no job. I personally would not waste time and money on education. You have thousands of applicants applying for every job means there are not enough jobs and too many graduates.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 4:32 pm

What is your goal with taking the college course, I mean I have to be honest college doesn't really do you any good unless you have a specific end goal with it. I mean it may be better to look into other jobs if you're unhappy in the one you have or maybe instead of college look into a technical program in a field you have interest in.

I don't want to be discouraging but, kind of seems your taking courses just to take them...which well seems kind of pointless. But I could be wrong maybe you do have a better idea of what you plan to do with the education.

That said maybe you should think about volunteering somewhere...like you could volunteer at an an animal shelter or something...you'd be appreciated for volunteering and maybe you could meet more social acquaintances that way. Something like that may be more satisfying than taking college courses you're not very interested in.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 6:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
What is your goal with taking the college course, I mean I have to be honest college doesn't really do you any good unless you have a specific end goal with it. I mean it may be better to look into other jobs if you're unhappy in the one you have or maybe instead of college look into a technical program in a field you have interest in.

I don't want to be discouraging but, kind of seems your taking courses just to take them...which well seems kind of pointless. But I could be wrong maybe you do have a better idea of what you plan to do with the education.

That said maybe you should think about volunteering somewhere...like you could volunteer at an an animal shelter or something...you'd be appreciated for volunteering and maybe you could meet more social acquaintances that way. Something like that may be more satisfying than taking college courses you're not very interested in.

If I reply, will you please reply to my own response? You sometimes ask me questions but don’t respond to my replies.

Kinect
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm

Universities are supposed to help Aspies and autists. There's usually a person at the admissions office in charge of students with disorder and disability. I think that makes limited sense in real life.

NTs can't escape social disappointment, mobbing or sexual exploitation either. No one can escape the huge pressure of political correctness either.

Remember? At the age of five you were told to look left every time you cross a road. Well that's what you are expected to do now.

Welcome to the third millenia...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 11:22 pm

You can't live in a bubble your whole life.