Evangelicals + Trump = "An affront to God's Agenda"

Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jan 2020, 11:50 pm

^ I was into that for a while, many years ago, in an attempt to make friendships. Belonged to a mega church with a few thousand members. They gave the head pastor a jacuzzi for his wedding anniversary! I was finding them autocratic and they also said if you're not prospering financially then you must be doing something wrong.

Sometimes big name speakers from the US came to visit, such as Benny Hinn.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 12:09 am

not only "doing something wrong" but cursed by god and hell-bound, according to people such as pat robertson who spoke of the poor being out of god's favor and separated from god. that is one definition of hell. but pat and other such prosperity gospel/mammon worshippers need to read their own bible better, for if they did, they would find passages that described jesus as being on the side of the poor, where the rubber meets the road, even so far as castigating the GOPers of his day [the pharisees, the moneylenders in the temple].

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jan 2020, 12:27 am

Yes indeed. He had a handful of rich followers such as Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus but mostly they were poor.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 1:05 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
People ask, "Why does allow GOD allow suffering?".

Answer:To teach people a lesson to better themselves.

So, GOD is hard core rightie?

Er... not in my religious tradition. Lutheran theology teaches that suffering is an inevitable result of humankind's fall from grace, and that it's not natural. God suffers along with us trying to save us from our own f*ck ups.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 9:04 am

Judge Not
by Joey Alison Sayers

Link to Page

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 9:23 am

It’s interesting how religion does give people a free pass and enables them to get away with or advocate specific practices that, without religion, people would balk at, to say the least.

When I was younger, people at a stand tried getting me to vote. I said that I didn’t vote. Then the person asked why in a judgmental tone. When I said that it was against my religion, the person smiled and earnestly said: “That’s an excellent reason!”

(I voted for the first time on the last voting day.)

Anyway, I think that since WWII many feel the need to be exceedingly politically correct when it comes to criticizing religion, but I don’t believe that it should be above scrutiny or criticism just like anything else.

Criticizing certain facets of the belief system is not the same as criticizing the person who practices it.

I think it’s a problem in America that many religious leaders (not my former church) urge their adherents to vote Republican as part of their duty towards God. Mixing religion and politics in this manner (or any) is yucky.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 6:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
Judge Not
by Joey Alison Sayers

Link to Page

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 7:54 pm

the way today's magangelicals behave, it reminds me of this bully at where my late mother useta work, and when my mom complained to her supervisor about the bully, the first thing out of the bully's mouth in defense, was "now i'm a christian...." to which the boss correctly said "now what in the hell does THAT have to do with anything?"

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 11:50 pm

Yeah...Trump is not well liked at my Christian church. In any case, I do believe that God is really the one in charge and who he wants at a given time is in power, but I think the whole Trump being God's chosen one thing is way overplayed.

Also, yeah, it sounds like a lot of "Christians" embrace things that contradict the bible, with these evangelicals being a prime example. Maybe they should try reading it sometime? The bible preaches love, not hate. Also, sure there are people who embrace alternate identities, sexual orientations, etc, and some of what they embrace is a sin, but what part of the bible states that it's the job of sinners to condemn other sinners? The job of the church is to bring sinners to the one source of healing so they can walk the one path to salvation. Healing is between the individual and God. Yes, I use the term healing. Screw that repentance nonsense. Paul cautions to not mix the old and new covenant, but I guess that is inconvenient for the agendas of some churches so they choose to ignore that part. Condemning people based on race, gender, etc is also pure nonsense. I'd suggest reading the New Testament for more on that.

So...I guess there are a lot of people around who are either fake Christians who ignore entire sections of the bible, including what is essentially the thesis of what Jesus and Paul preached, or they've ignorantly accepted a distilled version of the bible by a fake Christian who preaches to them and haven't taken the time to read the book for themselves. I was one of the latter as a Catholic, as the Catholic church gets you by making the bible seem so boring it's not worth reading and is a chore just to listen to once a week. Since I've been a Pentecostal Christian though, my eyes have been opened. The book I thought was boring is actually quite interesting and thought-provoking.

For the record, I don't have it out for right-wingers. There are people on both sides of the political spectrum who go against what the bible teaches. It just irks me that there seem to be a lot of people on the political right lately who blatantly ignore the teachings of the God they claim to be all about. Maybe they were always a thing and just happen to be coming out of the woodwork due to the current political climate, but to that I say, read your bible people!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:57 am

A Lutheran minister I know is of the opinion that Trump was sent by God as a punishment. So, yes chosen, but not the way the right seems to think.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 1:04 am

a spiritual test. but spiritual tests generally are punishing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 8:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
A Lutheran minister I know is of the opinion that Trump was sent by God as a punishment. So, yes chosen, but not the way the right seems to think.
"Every country has the government it deserves." -- Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." -- G-D, in 2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 11:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump is bad, but he’s not THAT bad.

Does the minister think that psychopathic dictators and other forms of inhumane governments throughout history are also punishments by God?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 12:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFj8uDubsE

Gospel of Thomas the Gospel without 'the myths'

114) Simon Peter said to Him, "Let Mary leave us, for women are
not worthy of Life."
Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her
male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you
males. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the
Kingdom of Heaven."

*114F) 'Mary' said to 'Paul', "Let 'John' Leave us, for men are
not worthy of Life."
'Mary' said, "I myself shall lead him in order to make him
female, so that he too may become a living spirit resembling me
as Female. For every man who will make himself female will enter the
Kingdom of Heaven."

*Just a Logical extension considering how closely this follows
the recommendation of Jung Balancing the Animus (Divine Masculine) And
Anima (Divine Feminine) For a Foundation of Love in Balance of Grace Holding
up True Will and Strength Without Fear as Fear Destroys all related to True Love.

Of course if You are Evangelical and Take it Literally You Will more than Likely
Force Women to become Transgender so they will be Worthy of Spiritual Life.

It's worth Noting that in 2020 there is still only one Century separating the
Ratification of A Woman's Right to Vote with the 19th Amendment.

The Catholic Church still hasn't extended this Right to Women
for the Priesthood in the United States as let's face it they just
aren't considered 'Good Enough' to do it. Human Beings
are still barely crawling out of their Cocoon. And it
continues to terrify some folks as they do become free; just free.

Speaking of that; this one also comes to mind; 'God is very very close'.

'Magic Mike XL' is nothing new 'under the Sun' either.

37) His disciples said to him, "When will you be visible to us,
and when shall we behold you?"
He said, "When you strip naked without being ashamed, and
take your garments and put them under your feet like little
children and tread upon them, then you will see the child of the
Living, and you will not be afraid."

Any of this could have been included in the final revision of the Bible;
Someone determined taking the Power away from the People who are Freer is a better way.

And that Brings Us Still to Modern Evangelicals plus Trump and a desire to take freedoms for ALL away.

It's Like a Cultural Virus now that sadly Just will not give up; and yes a very Human Virus too; still in deed.

It's the Kind of Virus that Eats the Face of the only Home (God) We Have and Looks forward to the destruction
of the whole Damn thing. Humans are not Rational; Never Have been; Never Will be, overall. The Signs are clear.

On the other Hand, Hugs make perfect sense to me when they are real; Smiles that come from within Sincere and
True too. i still would not give that Up to be a 'Perfect Rational Robot', without a HeART; Science suggests that
Levels of Empathy have dropped 40 Percent now in this 'Brave New World'; Once again; the Signs are clear.

Without Empathy for others
there is surely no Empathy
for the Rest of Nature and
Surely no Agape Love that
the Teacher Jesus relates too;
that is Universal and Human When Nurtured and Gardened this way.

And Honestly, overall, very few FreaKinG Care; the signs are clear.

Meh; when in Rome; ignore it and live; what other REAL choice is there...

https://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/thomas.htm

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2020, 5:49 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Trump is bad, but he’s not THAT bad.

Does the minister think that psychopathic dictators and other forms of inhumane governments throughout history are also punishments by God?

Dunno.