Have you ever had anything that just mysteriously disappeare

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 8:32 am

So this morning I was sitting on the floor trying to untangle some jewellery, and I saw a small hook from one of the bracelets drop off on to the floor beside me. The bracelet was quite large, so the hook was big enough to see, but when I tried to find the hook, could I find it? No. I carefully looked, and felt, all around the area where I see it fall, but it completely vanished.

How can something just disappear just like that when you physically saw it drop right beside you in a tidy, large space on the floor? I was sitting on laminated floor, and so I heard the hook tap on to it as it fell, but I looked everywhere and the hook is nowhere to be seen.

I was very confused. This kind of thing has happened before, not just to me but to people I know. One minute you are holding something, then you accidentally drop it, and it literally just disappears. That's one of the strangest things about life. Do you think when small things drop, a portal opens up and swallows up the small object, never to be seen again?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 9:01 am

Went to get little car parts. These fasteners. Don't like using phone. Drove up and back to order them so about 90 miles. Then went to get them. Another 90 miles. Brought them home. Have not seen them since.
So, to get more involves another 180 miles of driving.
My Mum clears up. We lose things. We ask her. She can't remember. We find them 30 odd years later, years after the time when we needed them.
But these fasteners. I hate finding things after I have bought replacements.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 9:25 am

:D love you MG that's the second time you've put a much needed smile on my face in 48 hours.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 9:30 am

Joe90 wrote:
So this morning I was sitting on the floor trying to untangle some jewellery, and I saw a small hook from one of the bracelets drop off on to the floor beside me. The bracelet was quite large, so the hook was big enough to see, but when I tried to find the hook, could I find it? No. I carefully looked, and felt, all around the area where I see it fall, but it completely vanished.

How can something just disappear just like that when you physically saw it drop right beside you in a tidy, large space on the floor? I was sitting on laminated floor, and so I heard the hook tap on to it as it fell, but I looked everywhere and the hook is nowhere to be seen.

I was very confused. This kind of thing has happened before, not just to me but to people I know. One minute you are holding something, then you accidentally drop it, and it literally just disappears. That's one of the strangest things about life. Do you think when small things drop, a portal opens up and swallows up the small object, never to be seen again?

Happens to me often, but I'm an old lady. I put my glasses down on the kitchen counter and it's as if they are under an invisible cloak. Gone.Then I retrace my steps and check every possible place, but still gone. Then, sometimes after hours, there they are, in the first place I looked.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 9:32 am

Yes. Several times now.

I just pass it off, as usual, as some short term memory issues, inattention, or some type of mental myopia as a logical conclusion.
And not something weirder than that -- whether that's the case or not. :lol: :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 9:46 am

Joe90 wrote:

It probably bounced sideways off the smooth laminated floor, and is now hidden under some piece of furniture five feet away from the spot on the floor where it hit. Something like that happened to me when I was eight or nine. Some object just fell on the floor and seemed to just vanish, and then I found two years later under a desk in the room.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 10:04 am

My University degrees (10 years ago)
A handmade Advent calendar (10 years ago)
A 20-page financial document I had literally just printed (10 years ago)
A beta fish vanished from the tank within five minutes (not on floor, never found)
A pink sock that I took out of the dryer, vanished out of my hand (a couple of years ago)
A bottle of mouthwash (bought it two weeks ago, put it on a table, it vanished ever since)
Last week I dropped a screw like you did Joe, on a clean stone floor. It's gone.

Yes it happens.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 11:26 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 'd' that's mysteriously disappeared from the OPs title...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 12:14 pm

smudge wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 'd' that's mysteriously disappeared from the OPs title...

That's because I ran out of room in the title box.

Quote:
It probably bounced sideways off the smooth laminated floor, and is now hidden under some piece of furniture five feet away from the spot on the floor where it hit. Something like that happened to me when I was eight or nine. Some object just fell on the floor and seemed to just vanish, and then I found two years later under a desk in the room.

You might be right. Sometimes things that don't usually bounce after being dropped very close to the ground suddenly seem to develop the skill of bouncing several feet away under a piece of furniture. Always the way. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 12:27 pm

Joe90 wrote:
smudge wrote:

That's because I ran out of room in the title box.

It was a joke. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 1:02 pm

Ten years ago, I was over at my parents place for a few days before Christmas. Om my second day there, I was drinking a can of Coke. I put it somewhere and when I went to look for it, it was gone. I looked all over the trailer house and it was gone.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 1:20 pm

I occasionally have things disappear from places where I'm pretty sure I left them (but never when I'm certain about where they are) and then have them reappear some time later in a place I thoroughly checked at least once and/or a place I know I never would have put the thing. No clue how or why that happens, the people in my household generally leave each other's stuff alone so it's unlikely that someone else moved things.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 5:59 pm

Dignity

Intelligence

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 6:27 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Dignity

Intelligence

Youth, innocence, your sanity, countless opportunities, lots of other intangible "things" over the years(if you think about it) :lol: .

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jan 2020, 3:38 am

I have bad vision & bad fine motor-skills & take alot of meds & supplements so I've lost lots of meds & supplements over the years by dropping them & not being able to find them rite away.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2020, 7:33 pm

Happens to me often. I recently moved and some things are still missing. While moving I discovered a few odds and ends that had been lost.