Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2020, 3:14 pm

I have recently thought about getting into public speaking. To educate about autism peacefully, as well as throw in my insight. I also plan on being compassionate, and I'm well aware I will have my faults.

I plan on taking a NON PARTISAN approach, because its dangerous to appropriate yourself to any political affiliation, as social issues always had a touch of political issues. You have to teach people without being emotionally charged, or as little as possible to be more realistic. I don't watch the news, and I certainly can get over myself if someone has a different opinion just as long as they do not act on extremist measures like murder, vandalism, etc.

I will also not take IDENTITY politics so seriously.Heavily associating yourself with a label will obliterate your open mindedness and any hopes of having people take you seriously. If you have to say things like, BUT I HAVE AUTISM and then rationalize whatever you don't want to hold yourself accountable for, you will negatively impact your self esteem and the respect around you.

I seek to neutralize the AUTISM VS NEUROTYPICALS mindset, because there is NO WAR. WE GET TOO CAUGHT UP in ignorance of others. The rules still apply to us autism or not. We can better ourselves and show kindness, and not hostility. By giving our power to people, we are as weak as what we are against.

Feel free to tell me how I sound, seriously, I expect people will agree, disagree, or neither.

I wish all of you the best on your lives, journeys, however you perceive it.

Some people are true reflections of our state of mind.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 2:09 am

Woody Allen was a successful comedy writer who decided to perform. He found that he had to radically change his delivery for a general audience. Have you thought of where you will speak, and why people might listen?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Jan 2020, 2:37 am

I' not sure what method you'll use to get into public speaking (organizations etc where you could start) but wish you well in your new endeavour.

I have given a brief talk to a group of social workers when we were invited to give some perspectives but generally I prefer the written word and that's why I'm writing my story.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

timf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 10:19 am

Many people work on improving their public speaking skills through the "Toastmasters" organization.

ColHamilton
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2020, 3:48 pm

Not public speaking per se, but I do have to give talks in work sometimes. I used to be truly awful at them, because I'm not very good at speaking in an interesting way, but practice will make better.

A few tips that work for me (your mileage may vary): know a lot more on the topic you're talking about than you plan to include in the talk itself; focus on particular audience members, switching your gaze to another every now and again, and pretend you're having a conversation with that person; and script most of your speech but allow gaps for spontaneity (funny stories or related anecdotes).

Those rules usually keep me right.