Do you drink\consume alcohol despite being autistic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2020, 2:36 am

In this video content that was uploaded on the 18th December 2018, I talked about alcohol and how often I drink and how much I used to drink when I was a lot younger.

Do you drink alcohol despite being autistic?

If you drink, how often do you drink?

What do you like drinking?

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 2:52 am

No, I never drink alcohol. I always thought it was due to being AS, because almost every NT I've ever known have been drunk at least once in their lives or go out and get drunk at weekends.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 3:26 am

I drink, but my gut can't handle beer. Only wine or liquor for me.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 4:10 am

I drink a lot. To cope with anxiety and depression mostly.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 4:25 am

I CAN drink. Just not very often and just not a lot.

My only issue is purely sensory than anything else.
I wouldn't truly know the limits of my alcohol tolerance unless I get accustomed or start ignoring taste.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 4:41 am

On a doctor-ordered dry-spell following a concussion at the moment, but normally I very much enjoy a fine whisky every now and then.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 6:55 am

AprilR wrote:
I drink a lot. To cope with anxiety and depression mostly.

Definitely done that.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 9:55 am

I've got two reasons to be careful with alcohol. My non-aspie father was an alcoholic and I do feel aspies don't do well with alcohol. A few years ago I discovered that even drinking a tiny amount regularly results in a physical addiction for me. Drinking one light beer daily for awhile, after stopping for a few days I noticed a drug-seeking thought pop into my mind. Experimenting with withdrawal caused minor effects in line with what I read online for withdrawal by non-alcoholics. At about the 5th day I had a slight headache lasting only 1 day. Repeated the experiment months later with same result.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 10:43 am

I'd rather drink tea or coffee than anything alcoholic.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 11:45 am

I hate the taste of alcohol, there are very few alcoholic beverages I actually like. I've never actually had a full serving of an alcoholic beverage, just a taste of something my parents are having. And for the time being, at least, I'm on medications that will put me in the ER if I have more than a few sips of alcohol.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 11:47 am

I don't drink honestly, I'm not a fan of the taste.

My Tumblr

Sorrowfell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2020, 11:57 am

I only really drink alcohol on a Friday. I start around 22:00 - 22:30 and keep going until i'm sick. Usually between 4:00 - 5:00.

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2020, 12:34 pm

I think I'm making a big mistake since I don't drink. Drinking would probably help me to socialize. Perhaps crucially. But I still don't feel like drinking. I've always hated alcohol and what it causes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 3:49 pm

Rodland wrote:
I think I'm making a big mistake since I don't drink. Drinking would probably help me to socialize. Perhaps crucially. But I still don't feel like drinking. I've always hated alcohol and what it causes.

I don't like drinking either. But I've noticed that other Aspies I know who drink seem to have NT friends and get invited out and have more active social lives. But it's rather upsetting to live in a society where you get more socially accepted if you are interested in getting drunk.

revlar
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2020, 4:17 pm

On weeknights, I drink wine with dinner and then I drink good amount on weekends either at home or out with friends. It helps calm down my anxiety and obsessive thoughts, which isn't a good habit to get into. When I'm our drinking, I'm still rather quiet so I take a drink every minute or so, so that it looks like I'm doing something. This leads to overconsumption.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 5:07 pm

in hind site stress relief was pretty important ,, but am pretty sure , thst brains wired prehaps alittle more densely can be hit much harder by introducing those things into ones system.
where younger and trying to be NT like had consumed much beer one night ,shame on the company that makes Michelob. 4 day hangovers , i do not think are common in the NT community . prolly not the best habits to indulge in .Do enjoy coffee . found to avoid coffee and liqour together
but it was acquired taste ..when little thought it coffee tasted like ant poison . And 8 airline sized bottles of varying liqour and whiskey sit in waiting in my cupboard for a day might still need a mixed drink . (airline sized bottles = 1 oz.).

where ever you go ,there you are