Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 10:23 am

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but for some reason it seems to me that a lot of people on Reddit claim to be autistic. Whether or not these claims are valid, can anybody think of a reason why I would be getting this impression?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 10:56 am

I don’t know about Reddit specifically but due to claims that Autism is a gift/superpower and media portrayals of savants some people want to be autistic and convince themselves that they are. For others autism provides an explanation true or not of why they are having trouble in life, in other cases an autism claim provides a readymade excuse to behave badly.

Social media is going to attract people who desire to be popular and cool.

That said these autism wannabes in these social media sites have for a number of years given damaging false impressions that there is an autism wannabe epidemic, that autism is overdiagnosed or a fake disease, that most or all aspies/high functioning are wannabes or autism supremacists, that the the core of the neurodiversity movement is Autism elitism etc.

Since autistics have a difficult time socially in the real world it becomes too easy to spend too much on on the computer in general and on social media in particular. There is often no non verbal communications involved. If one spends a lot of time there it becomes easy to get these false impressions.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 10:03 pm

I find these claims that some would stretch the truth to be credible. But is there any evidence to verify these claims? Have people said things on social media to give away their lie? I wonder if anyone would go as far as trying to be deceitful in an evaluation to get a diagnosis :roll:.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 11:39 pm

Guys, it's a meme. Lots of us on here don't pick up on sarcasm. I'm bilingual--I speak English & snark, and basically "autistic" is a meme that started on 4chan.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 11:51 pm

I don't spend much time on reddit, but I do know tumblr is riddled with self-diagnosed autistics whose "autistic symptoms" seem dubious to me at best. I think people latch onto autism because they think it's "cool" or "edgy" to be different, to have no social filter and to be able to "say whatever you want" and use a disorder to "get away with it". I know I've read many blatant admissions of people who faked ADHD to gain access to the medications. I suppose it's possible some people are doing that; I don't have ADHD but my psychiatrist put me on stimulants for my impulse control and organization problems, it's not unreasonable to think drug seekers would latch onto any label they think might help them.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 2:38 am

Borromeo wrote:
Guys, it's a meme. Lots of us on here don't pick up on sarcasm. I'm bilingual--I speak English & snark, and basically "autistic" is a meme that started on 4chan.

The term "autistic" long predates 4chan and internet memes. It describes who we are, some people identify as autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 4:44 am

I've never used reddit so I don't know about the users of that particular site, but as a whole I don't think we should suspect the word of the people on the internet who think they might be autistic. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but the same could also be said about every undiagnosed person on this forum.

If someone spreads false information about autism, call them out, but no attacking someone who suspects they are autistic, even if it seems to you that they clearly aren't, okay? If they ask for your opinion, go for it but other than that, just leave them be.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 8:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Borromeo wrote:

The term "autistic" long predates 4chan and internet memes. It describes who we are, some people identify as autistic.

I know. It appears first in psychological research in 1911 as a replacement for "juvenile schizophrenia." I was speaking about the Internet connotation where just about everybody calls themselves autistic as a joke--self-deprecating humor for doing something gauche or ridiculous.