Page 3 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 5:28 am

old_comedywriter wrote:
I believe that everyone is created equal. Where they go from there is up to them.

Equal under the law maybe. Some people are born with advantages. Wealth, talent, luck, etc.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 5:48 am

Bradleigh wrote:
You seriously don't see how a science scholarship for a black person, specifically for one from a poor background, is different to a scholarship that said it was for a white person only?

So if you give a poor black person a scholarship, is it because they're poor or because they're black?

I realise that in some countries a higher percentage of black are poor. But even if you have a town in which 60% of black people are poor and only 5% of white people are poor, why exclude the impoverished 5%?

Instead of making a science scholarship for black people, specifically for those who are from a poor background, why not make a science scholarship for poor people?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jan 2020, 8:38 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
old_comedywriter wrote:
I believe that everyone is created equal. Where they go from there is up to them.

Equal under the law maybe. Some people are born with advantages. Wealth, talent, luck, etc.

In a system where you have to pay for lawyers, people are not really equal under the law.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 9:26 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
So if you give a poor black person a scholarship, is it because they're poor or because they're black?

I realise that in some countries a higher percentage of black are poor. But even if you have a town in which 60% of black people are poor and only 5% of white people are poor, why exclude the impoverished 5%?

Instead of making a science scholarship for black people, specifically for those who are from a poor background, why not make a science scholarship for poor people?

It is both, the aim of such things is to equalize out amongst the groups (races), not by ignoring other poor people, but trying to focus on those that may need it.

I think that we are both Australian, we should be aware of many programs that ask if one is Aboriginal or Torres straight Islander.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:00 pm

One of the reasons I'm in favor of free college education for all is because it will eliminate the racist policy of Affirmative Action in college admissions -- instead of race-based grants and scholarships, everyone will be able to afford college tuition, regardless of the color of their skin, who their ancestors were, and where they or their ancestors came from.

Same for free medical care for all -- everyone will be able to afford prescriptions and medical treatments, regardless of the color of their skin, who their ancestors were, and where they or their ancestors came from.

It will also benefit women and the poor, so "Win-Win"!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jan 2020, 1:54 pm

magz wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
However, I think there are benefits to being a savvy employer who realised that a certain job candidate has been undervalued by the market and taking an occasional punt on applicants who don’t meet the usual metrics.

Absolutely.
And they do exist.
If there are any candidates outside of a given demographics.

Are you suggesting that we should remix criteria to consider strengths of different demographics? But for coders you need people who can code and for translators you need people who can translate.
I completely don't mind if extended Math class is 80% boys and extended linguist class is 80% girls - as long as you respect every individual and their choices, refrain from sexist comments, give them the same exams, the same requirements and the same responsibilities.
I'm speaking this from the position of a minority in my field.

Thank you for calling me "narrow minded" and "straw man", Mr Mod.

A straw man is when one constructs a false version of what somebody else thinks and then proceed to argue against that, rather than arguing against what they actually think. For example, nobody has argued that girls should be given extra points in mathematics just for being a girl - you presented a ridiculous version of the argument because you found it easier to argue against a ridiculous point of view than a real one.

You've done it again here. My argument is not that we shouldn't try to hire people who are good at the job or select students who will do well on the course. My argument is that there is more than one definition of "good coding", more than one definition of "good translation", and more than one way to measure if somebody is good at mathematics. Measurement is very rarely objective outside of the very narrow thing you are measuring. For example, if I say the word "absolution" and ask you to write it down, I am not testing if you are good at spelling, I am testing if you can spell the word "absolution" in English, in Latin script, after hearing it aloud, and then writing it down. If you have never encountered the word before, only speak Breton, only write in Braille, are deaf, and have no hands, then you might know how to spell the word but fail my test.

In simple terms - the American system seems to be fair. The British system effectively systematically gives boys and men extra marks just for being boys.

I also didn't call you narrow minded - I called the point of view sahred by you and Fnord narrow minded, because it is. You are sticking to a very narrow definition of "equality" which doesn't recognise that, for example, tests are not guaranteed to be fair, that people's pasts and presents do not necessarily reflect their futures, and that any attempt to recognise and correct that is an affront to justice.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Jan 2020, 2:08 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
A straw man is when one constructs a false version of what somebody else thinks and then proceed to argue against that, rather than arguing against what they actually think. For example, nobody has argued that girls should be given extra points in mathematics just for being a girl - you presented a ridiculous version of the argument because you found it easier to argue against a ridiculous point of view than a real one.
I presented something I witnessed happening, more than once. Maybe no one here proposed it but some people actually do it.

The_Walrus wrote:
I also didn't call you narrow minded - I called the point of view sahred by you and Fnord narrow minded, because it is. You are sticking to a very narrow definition of "equality" which doesn't recognise that, for example, tests are not guaranteed to be fair, that people's pasts and presents do not necessarily reflect their futures, and that any attempt to recognise and correct that is an affront to justice.
If you call my point of view narrow minded, can I call your point of view hypocritical?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 3:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
One of the reasons I'm in favor of free college education for all is because it will eliminate the racist policy of Affirmative Action in college admissions -- instead of race-based grants and scholarships, everyone will be able to afford college tuition, regardless of the color of their skin, who their ancestors were, and where they or their ancestors came from.

Same for free medical care for all -- everyone will be able to afford prescriptions and medical treatments, regardless of the color of their skin, who their ancestors were, and where they or their ancestors came from.

It will also benefit women and the poor, so "Win-Win"!

I do get why affirmative action exists, but I have always felt its kind of a band-aid solution that probably doesn't actually address the underlying issues. It would certainly make the most sense to give everyone the same opportunity to go which free tuition would do.

Also I don't know the specifics of how all the student debt in this country effects the economy. But I suspect it might be less of a wasted investment with free college for all, since if someone does go and it doesn't work out for them...then they won't owe thousands of dollars(they might never end up paying back) and the government wouldn't have wasted money giving them a loan.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 6:32 pm

Fnord wrote:

If you make it free they won't value it. If you make it free some people will start treating it as a pastime.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 6:41 pm

If public universities are made free, there will be considerable competition for places in these universities---if the private institution are not made free.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 6:53 pm

magz wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

The_Walrus wrote:
If you call my point of view narrow minded, can I call your point of view hypocritical?

If you don't, I will. Passive aggressive BS! And then he has the balls to condemn members of this forum for personal attacks.

It's too bad the owner of this website doesn't take an active role in policing its mod staff.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 11:49 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

If you make it free they won't value it. If you make it free some people will start treating it as a pastime.

Unless they'd kick out the ones who don't advance well and fast enough in their studies. Everyone would get a chance to try, but only those who are actually cut out for it would get to continue... of course, it'd be no good if there was someone who just kept studying a degree after another without really having any intention of finding a job with them.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 1:39 am

Fireblossom wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Unless they'd kick out the ones who don't advance well and fast enough in their studies. Everyone would get a chance to try, but only those who are actually cut out for it would get to continue... of course, it'd be no good if there was someone who just kept studying a degree after another without really having any intention of finding a job with them.

That might not help poor people. People from the lower class often get lower grades due to having to work their way through college, live on ramen, live in more crowded conditions or study with untreated illness.

College fees are one cause of generational poverty but they're far from the only cause.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jan 2020, 2:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If public universities are made free, there will be considerable competition for places in these universities---if the private institution are not made free.

Yep, it happens here, with both state-funded public and fully paid private institutions present.
Thought, it depends on the faculty. The best state funded IT studies can cherry pick their students and then make them the best engineers on the market but, say, art history is rather a hobbyist study (a professor from there admitted it himself).
My faculty (physics) is not popular enough to cherry pick students so it admits almost everyone and then runs them through killer first year, leaving quarter of initial number afterwards (most resign themselves).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jan 2020, 2:32 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

That might not help poor people. People from the lower class often get lower grades due to having to work their way through college, live on ramen, live in more crowded conditions or study with untreated illness.

College fees are one cause of generational poverty but they're far from the only cause.

I was surprized learning that before getting married, I spent most of my life below the official poverty threshold. I completely didn't feel it that way, of course we had to save but poverty? No way. I was in the same social class I am today, Eastern European social classes are not really correlated with income.

How I studied: I lived with my parents and commuted daily to the uni. If they lived further away, I would be able to apply for subsided dorm. Dorm students often survive on "jars" - food prepared by their parents they take from every visit. It's a norm here.
We have free healthcare but I was living with unrecognized and untreated conditions. That made me study for MS for 8 years instead of 5. I wasn't kicked out but that's about my faculty politics, they don't need to kick people out, people give up themselves.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 6:14 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

True. Living costs are the reason I can't afford college. The lack of college fees would help people somewhat and would be a step in the right direction, though.