Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 6:14 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One of the reasons I'm in favor of free college education for all is because it will eliminate the racist policy of Affirmative Action in college admissions -- instead of race-based grants and scholarships, everyone will be able to afford college tuition, regardless of the color of their skin, who their ancestors were, and where they or their ancestors came from.

If you make it free they won't value it. If you make it free some people will start treating it as a pastime.

Unless they'd kick out the ones who don't advance well and fast enough in their studies. Everyone would get a chance to try, but only those who are actually cut out for it would get to continue... of course, it'd be no good if there was someone who just kept studying a degree after another without really having any intention of finding a job with them.

That might not help poor people. People from the lower class often get lower grades due to having to work their way through college, live on ramen, live in more crowded conditions or study with untreated illness.

College fees are one cause of generational poverty but they're far from the only cause.

True. Living costs are the reason I can't afford college. The lack of college fees would help people somewhat and would be a step in the right direction, though.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 1:04 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
One of the reasons I'm in favor of free college education for all is because it will eliminate the racist policy of Affirmative Action in college admissions -- instead of race-based grants and scholarships, everyone will be able to afford college tuition, regardless of the color of their skin, who their ancestors were, and where they or their ancestors came from.

If you make it free they won't value it. If you make it free some people will start treating it as a pastime.

Unless they'd kick out the ones who don't advance well and fast enough in their studies. Everyone would get a chance to try, but only those who are actually cut out for it would get to continue... of course, it'd be no good if there was someone who just kept studying a degree after another without really having any intention of finding a job with them.

That might not help poor people. People from the lower class often get lower grades due to having to work their way through college, live on ramen, live in more crowded conditions or study with untreated illness.

College fees are one cause of generational poverty but they're far from the only cause.

True. Living costs are the reason I can't afford college. The lack of college fees would help people somewhat and would be a step in the right direction, though.

First off...living off ramen is not a bad thing. Just make sure you keep a good supply of kimchi and you'll get through it.

Second...interesting that this comes up because I just started watching the K-drama "Cheese In The Trap." Having to actually WORK for a degree is not, IMO, a bad thing, and will yield more tangible value for the work, both physical and intellectual, that you put into it.

Your thoughts, in a way, result in material existence. I start with the idea of owning a car. I need purchasing power to do that. I need something to exchange for said power. So I have an idea or a special piece of knowledge. From that idea or knowledge I create something with my hands--whether my actions are teaching children to play musical instruments or if I build QP's with cheese at McDonald's, it either starts with my knowledge of instruments and how people learn, or from memorizing the steps to make a QP (build from bottom. QP meat, top with cheese. On top bun, mustard, ketchup, pickles, and fresh onion, NOT evaporated). People who have to work their way through college are in the habit of bringing thoughts and ideas into reality WHILE simultaneously or alternately expanding their knowledge and ability. You can measure you degree in terms of numbers of quarter-pounders served, houses built, planes flown, tourists shown, gigs played, drinks poured, and so on. People who never work for it lack people, places, things, and money to back it up, and for them the diploma is nothing more than another piece of card stock. That's not to say college grads who get full scholarship just for being smart aren't exceptional and can't perform. But in terms of everyday folks, it's much more difficult when you aren't in a creative pattern.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2020, 8:12 am

magz wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
A straw man is when one constructs a false version of what somebody else thinks and then proceed to argue against that, rather than arguing against what they actually think. For example, nobody has argued that girls should be given extra points in mathematics just for being a girl - you presented a ridiculous version of the argument because you found it easier to argue against a ridiculous point of view than a real one.
I presented something I witnessed happening, more than once. Maybe no one here proposed it but some people actually do it.

The_Walrus wrote:
I also didn't call you narrow minded - I called the point of view sahred by you and Fnord narrow minded, because it is. You are sticking to a very narrow definition of "equality" which doesn't recognise that, for example, tests are not guaranteed to be fair, that people's pasts and presents do not necessarily reflect their futures, and that any attempt to recognise and correct that is an affront to justice.
If you call my point of view narrow minded, can I call your point of view hypocritical?

You can, and it wouldn’t be a personal attack. But there’s a difference between saying something and it being true.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2020, 11:18 am

The_Walrus wrote:
magz wrote:
If you call my point of view narrow minded, can I call your point of view hypocritical?

You can, and it wouldn’t be a personal attack. But there’s a difference between saying something and it being true.

Then, dear whoever is reading, I find The Walrus' behavior hypocritical.

That's why:
He seems to strongly believe we all should be considerate towards minority members.
I am a minority member - typically the only female in a project, participating in all-male-but-me competitions and being the first female to <do something, nation-wide> obviously makes me a minority member in my work.
I shared my point of view.
The Walrus discarded my experience in a judgemental, condescending manner.
Now let's see, what hypocrisy is:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy
Quote:
Definition of hypocrisy

1 : a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not : behavior that contradicts what one claims to believe or feel
His hypocrisy was finally revealed with the publication of his private letters. especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion our conventional morality often serves as a cover for hypocrisy and selfishness — Lucius Garvin
2 : an act or instance of hypocrisy
a keen awareness of one's parents' hypocrisies

Thank you for your attention.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 1:11 pm

I'm late to the party but I'd like to ask for clarification on something: do "disadvantaged" or minority students actually get extra credits/points anywhere? How exactly does it work? :?

I've never heard of this, here we offer financial support and other similar accommodations.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2020, 1:45 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I'm late to the party but I'd like to ask for clarification on something: do "disadvantaged" or minority students actually get extra credits/points anywhere? How exactly does it work? :?

I've never heard of this, here we offer financial support and other similar accommodations.

Sorry, it's in Polish, but yes.
https://gospodarka.dziennik.pl/praca/ar ... unkty.html - 15 points of maximum 100 for being a woman when applying for startup dotations
https://innpoland.pl/157301,kielecki-ur ... gramowania - 5 points of 30 for being a woman on a city-funded programming course

Just the cases that made it to the press. What high school teachers do (oh, let's pass her, after all, she's a girl...) doesn't.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 2:02 pm

magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

Sorry, it's in Polish, but yes.
https://gospodarka.dziennik.pl/praca/ar ... unkty.html - 15 points of maximum 100 for being a woman when applying for startup dotations
https://innpoland.pl/157301,kielecki-ur ... gramowania - 5 points of 30 for being a woman on a city-funded programming course

Just the cases that made it to the press. What high school teachers do doesn't.

Wow, I had no idea whatsoever - is this only for applying as an attempt to encourage them to join? I'll have to check if they do anything like this here, maybe I just don't know about it.

I just asked my daughter what she thinks, as she wants to study Maths when she goes to University. Her answer was too rude to post here but amounted to her calling such things "condescending and misogynistic". She's very ambitious and hard-working; she seemed mortaly offended by the idea of getting extra points for being a girl.

Thanks, magz.

Edited for clarity

Last edited by BenderRodriguez on 22 Jan 2020, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 2:10 pm

magz wrote:
What high school teachers do (oh, let's pass her, after all, she's a girl...).

I think this is really bad (yeah, I know it happens). It can either undermine kids' confidence in their skills or give them the idea that they can get a free pass all the time. It's usually the approach of "one size fits all" of teaching that makes a lot of kids struggle with certain disciplines, but of course it's expensive and difficult to change that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2020, 2:19 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Wow, I had no idea whatsoever - is this only for applying as an attempt to encourage them to join? I'll have to check if they do anything like this here, maybe I just don't know about it.
Probably it is an attempt to encourage more diversity. I am against that form of encouraging it. Just be respectful and fair, maybe help with logistics when needed but don't do this.

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I just asked my daughter what she thinks, as she wants to study Maths when she goes to University. Her answer was too rude to post here but amounted to her calling such things "condescending and misogynistic". She's very good and she seemed definitely offended by the idea of getting extra points for being a girl.

Thanks, magz.
So am I. Cheers to your daughter, I wish her best in doing what she likes! :)

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 2:28 pm

magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Probably it is an attempt to encourage more diversity. I am against that form of encouraging it. Just be respectful and fair, maybe help with logistics when needed but don't do this.

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I just asked my daughter what she thinks, as she wants to study Maths when she goes to University. Her answer was too rude to post here but amounted to her calling such things "condescending and misogynistic". She's very good and she seemed definitely offended by the idea of getting extra points for being a girl.

Thanks, magz.
So am I. Cheers to your daughter, I wish her best in doing what she likes! :)

I see things in a similar light. Many European countries are trying to deal with inequality through a better welfare system that tries to ensure children have their basic needs covered regardless of their parents' situation and access to good and free education. There are also programs for gifted children and young people, along with accommodations for those coming from a modest background.

Thank you :)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2020, 3:37 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I see things in a similar light. Many European countries are trying to deal with inequality through a better welfare system that tries to ensure children have their basic needs covered regardless of their parents' situation and access to good and free education. There are also programs for gifted children and young people, along with accommodations for those coming from a modest background.

It's a silly thing here but whenever our bureaucrats do something stupid they claim it's because of "EU regulations". The practices I described are no exception.
I guess it's the local beaurocratic culture of "ass-saving" - it doesn't need to make sense as long as the papers are in perfect order. I don't really know how to possibly change this attitude for the better.

As for the welfare system - I find free high quality education and basic accommodations valuable. My position is strange here because I come from a higly educated family hovering about the poverty threshold - something not really stable in more capitalistic societes.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 4:13 pm

magz wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:

It's a silly thing here but whenever our bureaucrats do something stupid they claim it's because of "EU regulations". The practices I described are no exception.
I guess it's the local beaurocratic culture of "ass-saving" - it doesn't need to make sense as long as the papers are in perfect order. I don't really know how to possibly change this attitude for the better.

As for the welfare system - I find free high quality education and basic accommodations valuable. My position is strange here because I come from a higly educated family hovering about the poverty threshold - something not really stable in more capitalistic societes.

And a lot of (Western) countries assign blame to the EU for all kind of unpopular practices too :lol:

I understand where you're coming from - I have quite a few close friends (probably closer to your parents' age than yours) who grew up behind the Wall and I'm familiar with the culture and for lack of a better name the different class system.

It's just much better IMO to try to make up for financial and other handicaps kids have early on and offer them more opportunities to develop their skills, instead of giving free/unearned credits. And while I am a white male born in a first world country, I'm also someone who grew up in the system and had to work both through high-school and University to feed myself. I would have appreciated some financial support or a free place to stay, that's for sure. The only way I managed to build a career and a good life despite my horrible childhood and youth was working very hard toward professional achievement and I was grateful for teachers and colleagues who took the time to actually teach me things and give me concrete guidance. It can be very insulting for those who actually come from difficult backgrounds to be treated as if they need an intellectual leg up.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jan 2020, 4:23 am

Removing obstacles is much more difficult and costly than lowering expectations.