In Florida, only rich felons will get to vote

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 1:45 am

you totally missed the meaning. :roll: they don't give certain people a chance to give them money in the first place, the stoooopids.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 10:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
you totally missed the meaning. :roll: they don't give certain people a chance to give them money in the first place, the stoooopids.

Do you look the part of a wealthy patron ?

Be the hero of your life.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 4:56 pm

It's the same as getting your driver's license back, you must pay. It's a privilege.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 5:06 pm

The intent of those people who are refused service was to BUY SOMETHING.

Many convicted felons in NY State eventually get the right to vote restored to them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 5:25 pm

After a person completes his/her sentence and parole, the right to vote is restored to those convicted of a felony.

A person convicted of a felony who gets a nonjail sentence never loses the right to vote.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 8:02 pm

those who say voting is a privilege are being deceptive, it is a RIGHT OF CITIZENSHIP!! FOR ALL CITIZENS, NOT JUST THE RICH. :wall: (per the 14th and 15th amendments to the constitution.)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 8:36 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
It's the same as getting your driver's license back, you must pay. It's a privilege.

Driving is a privilege. Voting is a constitutional right and is the basis for our democracy.

The people of Florida voted to restore voting rights to felons.

The legislature is trying its hardest avoid doing so.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 8:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
After a person completes his/her sentence and parole, the right to vote is restored to those convicted of a felony.

A person convicted of a felony who gets a nonjail sentence never loses the right to vote.

I didn't know that. A felony with no jail sentence does not count as a felony in relation to voting rights?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 8:45 pm

According to ProCon.org:

10.43% of the Florida population is disenfranchised[13]
1,686,318 total Floridians are disenfranchised.
Florida has the most disenfranchised citizens in the United States.
Florida has the highest disenfranchisement rate in the United States.
23.3% of black voters in Florida can’t vote because of felony disenfranchisement.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 2:28 am

That’s right, BlazingStar.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 2:53 am

blazingstar wrote:
According to ProCon.org:

10.43% of the Florida population is disenfranchised[13]
1,686,318 total Floridians are disenfranchised.
Florida has the most disenfranchised citizens in the United States.
Florida has the highest disenfranchisement rate in the United States.
23.3% of black voters in Florida can’t vote because of felony disenfranchisement.

What is the percentage for white voters in Florida who cannot vote because 6 felony disenfranchisement?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 8:09 am

Probably much less than the rate for African-Americans.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 8:17 am

I have found sometimes that the gap is not as wide as one might think.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 8:18 am

As of 2018, the voting franchise was given to people who have served out their felony sentences in Florida.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 8:20 am

You must register to vote, we are not born being registered. You must reach 18, it takes 18 years to achieve that. People who are not registered must provide proof to the Driver's License people of birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree so they can track the process of how you came to have the identity you now possess. Then, register to vote. Or that is at least the process I had to go through the last time I re-upped my FDL. It was very tedious and I ended up having to have my first marriage license retrieved and shipped to me. When I got it, I had some explaining to do. I was 16 and had lied about my date of birth to be able to marry.

I guess my point is that it's not easy for the person without a felony conviction. And whether it's a right or a privilege seems to be linked to how difficult they make the process. I think I might have been inclined to give up.

If they change the process, that would be great. But, I have yet to meet an easy process in Florida. Or, an inexpensive one. They may restore things that are in fact, documented rights. But, they will make it as difficult and expensive as possible with the same idea as driver's licenses. Most sentences come with a fine, I have all ideas that just like the time served, they will make you pay that fine before you get to drive or vote again. For all they say that you have the right to be represented by an attorney on the front end, they will recoup the time it took to arrest you, fees while incarcerated and basic legal fees. They will charge you to be locked up. Is it right? Not to me, if you are going to loose everything it ought to be free. But, it's not.

* I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it's not free to lose all your rights, what keeps them from making citizens pay to restore them? And then what is a right, becomes a privilege. People who do not have families, or something to help them when they get out are set back on a track to fail. It's wrong, we went down this path with my step-daughter. Only she had help and still killed herself... It did/does me no good to rail against it because the justice system needs revenue to operate too. What could we say?

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 9:02 am

I agree that people who have actually committed a felony do not deserve to vote.

I also agree that people who have done their time should have their civil rights restored.

I also believe that the recent Florida law restoring people who have served their sentences to the vote could very well turn the tide in the Democrats’ favor in Florida.