Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:31 am

The evaluator should go back and read the DSM-5:

Quote:
Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction, ranging, for example, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures; to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication.
I heard about that "too good eye contact" nonsense from a psychiatrist in 2006 doing an informal evaluation of a girl. She later got a formal diagnosis using ADOS-2. I think if you want a diagnosis you will have to seek a clinic that does competent evaluations. The one that gave the evaluation only evaluates kids though.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 1:22 pm

CarlM wrote:
The evaluator should go back and read the DSM-5:
Quote:
Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction, ranging, for example, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures; to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication.
I heard about that "too good eye contact" nonsense from a psychiatrist in 2006 doing an informal evaluation of a girl. She later got a formal diagnosis using ADOS-2. I think if you want a diagnosis you will have to seek a clinic that does competent evaluations. The one that gave the evaluation only evaluates kids though.

This user last posted in 2020. I hope things worked out for her.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman