Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 10:31 am

I meant.....if he's the candidate nominated by the Democrats AFTER their National Convention :roll:

He's spent a few hundred million dollars on ads----how would I NOT know that he is seeking the Democratic nomination?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 10:53 am

How would one interpret "If he were THE Democratic candidate?" I believe most people would interpret that as the state where one is nominated by his party after their Convention.

If I stated "If he were A Democratic candidate, then that would be open to a different interpretation.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 1:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
... Bernie didn't in this circumstance change policy but saying he did nothing would be a mistake. His resolution resulted in the first time the congress had condemned this genocidal war and the vote made press attention and helped shed light on a much maligned issue. This is different from saying it was a stunt however.
It was a stunt because it only resulted in "condemnation", "press attention", and the "shedding of light". It did NOT cause the U.S. to pull out of any war or even reduce its involvement over there. Thus, the resoultion accomplished nothing of value.
No the US did reduce its involvement shortly afterwards. And refused to refuel Saudi bombers. There is a clear trend of the US doing this around this time. Again I don't believe this happened as a result of the senate vote but it is misguided to say this led to nothing happening. Shedding light and generating condemnation is also something of value for the value it does in exposing the administration's practices. And exposing allows for a greater push to end such horrors.
US to deploy 3,500 additional troops to the Middle East after Iranian general killed
Published Fri, Jan 3 2020 at 12:25 PM EST / Updated Fri, Jan 3 20201:41 PM EST

Link to MSNBC News Article

The point I was making was not so much that the US did not withdraw from Yemen. But the fact they decided to deescalate when this senate vote was taking place. Admittedly the US has by no means ever dismantled its imperialistic foreign policy in this part of the globe. And I am aware this decision was undertaken after the Houthis launched their strike at oil refineries in Saudi Arabia.

Also I wouldn't vote for Bloomberg unless he were the nominee. Which he won't be.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 2:29 pm

Nice backpedal. Now try a handstand.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2020, 10:19 pm

I liked Bernie when he was running against Hillary he attacked her in the debates on her anti guns views but now he is too anti 2nd amendment

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny