Page 401 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404 ... 535  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 6:51 am

jimmy m wrote:
MORE INNOVATION IN FACE MASK DESIGN

Chandan Sen is the director of the Indiana Center for Regenerative Medicine and Engineering at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis. He and a team of IU researchers discovered earlier this year that the novel coronavirus relies on electrostatic forces for its ability to infect. In a study published May 15 in ChemRxiv, a site that houses chemistry research prior to publication, Sen and his team told the world: They’d done it. They’d discovered that an electroceutical fabric made of polyester fabric printed with alternating circular metal dots of elemental silver and zinc metals sent the virus’s electrokinetic properties into a tizzy, stripping it of its ability to infect within one minute.

Sen and his team had been investigating potential uses for the fabric, which is currently used as an antimicrobial wound dressing due to its bacteria-killing prowess, for the past six years. It was the logical next step to determine if it was also effective against coronaviruses.

The fabric works like a signal jammer: It wirelessly generates a weak electric field using embedded microcell batteries when exposed to moisture that disrupts the electrostatic forces viruses require to spread infection. It’s not harmful to humans, but it’s deadly for the infectious capabilities of bacteria and viruses.

The electricity-generating technology used in the fabric, called V.Dox Technology, is patented by Arizona-based Vomaris Innovations Inc., a regenerative medicine company focused on wound care via bioelectric technology, and is FDA cleared. Vomaris Innovations board chairman Paul Foster says the company hopes to have the first products in the hands of clinicians soon.

Source: Indiana University (I.U.) Researchers Identify Fabric That Kills Coronaviruses

Clever hoomans. :thumright:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 7:16 am

Quote:
Plasma breakthrough in COVID-19 fight

Coronavirus patients given ‘convalescent plasma’ are showing promising signs in their recovery in a breakthrough in the treatment of COVID-19 and the ...

Quote:
New test to measure expected severity of COVID-19

Researchers say a blood test could show how the immune system is expected to respond to COVID-19, helping doctors to prioritise treatment and providin...

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 10:06 am

A long and detailed interview with a top epidemiologist. Well worth reading.

‘We could open up again and forget the whole thing’
Epidemiologist Knut Wittkowski on the deadly consequences of lockdown.

Governments around the world say they are following ‘The Science’ with their draconian measures to stem the spread of the virus. But the science around Covid-19 is bitterly contested. Many experts have serious doubts about the effectiveness of the measures, and argue that our outsized fears of Covid-19 are not justified. Knut Wittkowski is one such expert who has long argued for a change of course. For 20 years, Wittkowski was the head of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design at The Rockefeller University’s Center for Clinical and Translational Science. spiked spoke to him to find out more about the pandemic.

spiked: Is Covid-19 dangerous?

Knut Wittkowski: No, unless you have age-related severe comorbidities. So if you are in a nursing home because you cannot live by yourself anymore, then getting infected is dangerous.

We had the other extreme in Switzerland, which was hit pretty hard. There was one child that died. People believed that this child was born in 2011. In fact, it was born in 1911, and that was the only child that died. It was a mere coding error. Somebody with the age 108 was coded as aged eight.

spiked: How far along is the epidemic?

Wittkowski: It is over in China. It is over in South Korea. It is substantially down in most of Europe and down a bit everywhere, even in the UK. The UK and Belarus are latecomers, so you do not see exactly what you are seeing in continental Europe. But everywhere in Europe, the number of cases is substantially declining.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/05/1 ... ole-thing/

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 10:35 am

Wuhan lab admits to having three live strains of bat coronavirus on site

Quote:
The Chinese lab eyed as a potential source of COVID-19 has admitted having three live strains of bat coronavirus on-site — but insisted none are the source of the global pandemic.

The Wuhan Institute of Virology has since 2004 “isolated and obtained some coronaviruses from bats,” its director Wang Yanyi said in an interview that aired Saturday, according to Agence France-Presse (AFP).

“Now we have three strains of live viruses… But their highest similarity to SARS-CoV-2 only reaches 79.8 percent,” Yanyi said, referring to the coronavirus strain that causes COVID-19.

“It’s an obvious difference,” she said, according to AFP.

Yanyi trashed the conspiracy that the pandemic started in her lab — one pushed by President Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo — as “pure fabrication.”

Her scientists had never “encountered, researched or kept the virus” until it received samples on December 30, when it had already unknowingly taken hold on Wuhan, the contagion’s epicenter, she said.

“In fact, like everyone else, we didn’t even know the virus existed,” she said of the new virus that as of Sunday had infected more than 5.3 million and killed more than 340,000 worldwide.

“How could it have leaked from our lab when we never had it?”

High school swim party contributes to ‘second peak’ in Arkansas coronavirus cases
Quote:
A high school swim party is responsible for a cluster of new COVID-19 cases in Arkansas, officials there said.

“A high school swim party that I’m sure everybody thought was harmless,” Gov. Asa Hutchinson told reporters of the gathering.

“They’re young, they’re swimming, they’re just having activity and positive cases resulted from that,” Hutchinson said, without elaborating on the number who were infected.

Maskless crowds pack the Ozarks for Memorial Day Weekend parties
Quote:
Maskless partygoers in Missouri packed into a yacht club to toast Memorial Day Weekend — despite signs warning people to stay six feet apart, a report says.

Photos of the Redhead Lakeside Grill and Yacht Club in Lake of the Ozarks showed half-naked revelers Saturday crowding the bar and pool, news station KSDK reported.

More shocking footage on Twitter showed that the yacht club wasn’t the only party spot overtaken by crowds in the popular vacation destination.

In one clip, dozens of partiers, also without masks, were seen drinking in an unidentified poolside bar in the area.

“No covid concerns at the lake of the ozarks,” wrote KTVK anchor Scott Pasmore on Twitter.

Another Twitter user shared a video of hundreds at another local bar’s pool, noting it was taken “as the U.S. death toll from #COVID19 nears 100,000.”

Camden County Sheriff’s Department said there are social distancing guidelines, but their hands are tied because there are no penalties for disregarding the rules, KSDK reported

Redhead Lakeside Grill and Yacht Club didn’t respond to request for comment, the outlet reported.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 10:54 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
High school swim party contributes to ‘second peak’ in Arkansas coronavirus cases
Quote:
A high school swim party is responsible for a cluster of new COVID-19 cases in Arkansas, officials there said.

“A high school swim party that I’m sure everybody thought was harmless,” Gov. Asa Hutchinson told reporters of the gathering.

“They’re young, they’re swimming, they’re just having activity and positive cases resulted from that,” Hutchinson said, without elaborating on the number who were infected.

This is a classic example of the unbelievably abysmal reporting that we've seen throughout this epidemic. A party occurred somewhere in Arkansas. Where? No idea. When did it occur? The report doesn't even say! How many people where there? No idea. "[P]ositive cases resulted." How many? No idea. What does "cases" mean? People who got sick? People who tested positive? No idea.

A high school student at this supposed party which happened at an unknown place on an unknown date and which resulted in some unknown number of "cases" could write a better news story than that.

There Are Four Lights!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 10:59 am

We had much better reporting when we had an infrastructure on newspapers with paid staff throughout the country.
And paid stringers to check up on stuff.

Now, Sports Illustrated has cut way back on paid staff. Can they still put out a quality product?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2020, 11:10 am

Darmok wrote:

Governments around the world say they are following ‘The Science’ with their draconian measures to stem the spread of the virus. But the science around Covid-19 is bitterly contested. Many experts have serious doubts about the effectiveness of the measures, and argue that our outsized fears of Covid-19 are not justified. Knut Wittkowski is one such expert who has long argued for a change of course. For 20 years, Wittkowski was the head of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, and Research Design at The Rockefeller University’s Center for Clinical and Translational Science. spiked spoke to him to find out more about the pandemic.

Knut Wittkowski: No, unless you have age-related severe comorbidities. So if you are in a nursing home because you cannot live by yourself anymore, then getting infected is dangerous.

We had the other extreme in Switzerland, which was hit pretty hard. There was one child that died. People believed that this child was born in 2011. In fact, it was born in 1911, and that was the only child that died. It was a mere coding error. Somebody with the age 108 was coded as aged eight.

Wittkowski: It is over in China. It is over in South Korea. It is substantially down in most of Europe and down a bit everywhere, even in the UK. The UK and Belarus are latecomers, so you do not see exactly what you are seeing in continental Europe. But everywhere in Europe, the number of cases is substantially declining.

I don't entirely get his message. Is it "Let's just let the old people die and get over it, the sooner the better"?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 11:12 am

Darmok wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
A high school swim party is responsible for a clustert of new COVID-19 cases in Arkansas, officials there said.

This is a classic example of the unbelievably abysmal reporting that we've seen throughout this epidemic. A party occurred somewhere in Arkansas. Where? No idea. When did it occur? The report doesn't even say! How many people where there? No idea. "[P]ositive cases resulted." How many? No idea. What does "cases" mean? People who got sick? People who tested positive? No idea.

A high school student at this supposed party which happened at an unknown place on an unknown date and which resulted in some unknown number of "cases" could write a better news story than that.

The governor is to blame if anybody. They are just repeating what the gov said. Most news organizations have reported what the top elected officials say on major news stories although there is a push in some progressive circles to ignore Trump.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 12:27 pm

UK COVID-19 vaccine trial may fail due to low transmission in population
There is a 50% chance the trial may give 'no result.'

Hopes that a vaccine for the coronavirus could be ready by September are hanging in the balance, as the scientists developing it are concerned that a slowdown in the rate of infection in the general population could invalidate the human trials currently taking place.

Prof. Adrian Hill, Director of the Oxford University’s Jenner Institute, has told The Telegraph that there is only a 50-50 chance that the vaccine his team has been developing can be successfully tested.

The team has recruited 10,000 people to test the vaccine, some of whom will be given the vaccine and others a placebo. But as it is unethical to purposely infect people in the trial with COVID-19, participants will be asked to go about their normal routine in the expectation that some will be exposed to it naturally. However, that is unlikely to happen if the virus is not spreading, meaning that no conclusions can be drawn one way or the other about the vaccine's efficacy.

Hill expects that fewer than 50 people in the test population will catch the virus, but if less than 20 test positive the results may be useless.

“It is a race, yes. But it's not a race against the other guys," he said. "It's a race against the virus disappearing – and against time. We said earlier in the year that there was an 80% chance of developing an effective vaccine by September. But at the moment, there’s a 50% chance that we get no result at all.

https://www.jpost.com/international/uk- ... ion-629082

There Are Four Lights!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 5:05 pm

Well I went on an exploratory mission to observe how the post-Covid world is responding.

They opened up Churches this week. So I took my wife and we went. There was extensive social distancing. Everyone wore mask and no contact like handshakes or even social conversations were prohibited. You could only sit in designated spots marked on the pews.

Someone should write a song titled "Me and my N95". I will have to replace my N95 soon. I have gotten 3 months use out of it so far but I fear its life is almost at an end. My wife tried a new design of face mask. Since the ultra fine filter material does not like to be washed. Several people have begun to constructing face mask like a large pocket. They can insert the filter material inside and remove it when the mask is washed to prevent its destruction. She is using the anti tarnish silver material as the filter. So today she had a chance to try it out. She liked the new design.

Then we went to town and spent the whole day shopping. Many stores are opening up and more people are starting to come out of the woodwork. Many are not so focused on wearing mask. I would estimate about 1 month and anyone wearing a mask will be rare and life as much as it can will return back to normal.

They had cherries in the grocery store and I like cherries especially at the start of the season because they are so sweet.

I took my wife to a Mexican Restaurant. They had outdoor seating. Eating outdoors with the breezes and the sun is a fairly safe way to dine in the post-pandemic world.

Macy's Department Store opened up so we went shopping there.

Then I went and got a haircut. I didn't have one for over 2 months, so it was about time. They were able to cut my hair without removing my N95. Every time they cut someones hair, they spent about 10 minutes cleaning up their workstation before they took the next customer. They disinfected the chair, swept the floor, changed the cover cloth etc.

Gasoline prices have been rising and now gasoline is almost $2 per gallon.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 5:44 pm

Darmok wrote:
Did Japan Just Beat the Virus Without Lockdowns or Mass Testing?

Japan’s state of emergency is nearing its end with new cases of the coronavirus dwindling to mere dozens. It got there despite largely ignoring the default playbook.

No restrictions were placed on residents’ movements, and businesses from restaurants to hairdressers stayed open. No high-tech apps that tracked people’s movements were deployed. The country doesn’t have a center for disease control. And even as nations were exhorted to “test, test, test,” Japan has tested just 0.2% of its population -- one of the lowest rates among developed countries.

Yet the curve has been flattened, with deaths well below 1,000, by far the fewest among the Group of Seven developed nations. In Tokyo, its dense center, cases have dropped to single digits on most days. While the possibility of a more severe second wave of infection is ever-present, Japan has entered and is set to leave its emergency in just weeks, with the status already lifted for most of the country and likely to exit completely as early as Monday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ss-testing

Japan also banned everyone from sick nations from entering the country.
https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 5:48 pm

Large gathering of idiots flood the pools.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/katv.com/a ... distancing

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 11:23 pm

Darmok wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Stop being a critical thinker, ffs. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 11:25 pm

magz wrote:
Darmok wrote:

I don't entirely get his message. Is it "Let's just let the old people die and get over it, the sooner the better"?

I haven't read this in detail, but surely the message is for those at risk to stay under the bed. :wink:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2020, 3:41 am

Misslizard wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Did Japan Just Beat the Virus Without Lockdowns or Mass Testing?

Japan’s state of emergency is nearing its end with new cases of the coronavirus dwindling to mere dozens. It got there despite largely ignoring the default playbook.

No restrictions were placed on residents’ movements, and businesses from restaurants to hairdressers stayed open. No high-tech apps that tracked people’s movements were deployed. The country doesn’t have a center for disease control. And even as nations were exhorted to “test, test, test,” Japan has tested just 0.2% of its population -- one of the lowest rates among developed countries.

Yet the curve has been flattened, with deaths well below 1,000, by far the fewest among the Group of Seven developed nations. In Tokyo, its dense center, cases have dropped to single digits on most days. While the possibility of a more severe second wave of infection is ever-present, Japan has entered and is set to leave its emergency in just weeks, with the status already lifted for most of the country and likely to exit completely as early as Monday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ss-testing

Japan also banned everyone from sick nations from entering the country.
https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

They started denying entry anyone from infected areas on January. They ordered school closures in the beginning of March. They proclaimed state of emergency on April 7th. They ordered "six kind of businesses" closures on April 10th.
Now they're reopening, but not light-heartedly at all.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 8:02 am

NORTH KOREAN CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC

North Korea has been very tightlipped about the extent of the current pandemic. Even more so than China.

I suspect the country has been hit hard. It is interesting that China has imposed a major lockdown in the Chinese province Jilin that borders North Korea. This may give a feel for the severity in North Korea of the current pandemic.

-------------------------------

The latest outbreak is concentrated in Jilin, a northeastern province of 27 million people that sits near China’s borders with Russia and North Korea. Jilin has reported a small outbreak of about 130 cases and two deaths, but experts there have warned of the threat of a “big explosion.”

The authorities have also imposed a lockdown on parts of Jilin City, a manufacturing base, bringing factories to a standstill and quieting streets. In some areas, residents are allowed to leave their homes only once every two days, and for a maximum of two hours, to shop for groceries. The strictest measures are probably affecting more than 200,000 people in the city [Shulan].

[The reports also hint at a mutation in the virus.] Patients are taking longer than the typical one to two weeks to show symptoms of the illness after being infected, an expert with the National Health Commission, Qiu Haibo, told the state-run broadcaster this week, and they are carrying the virus for a longer period of time.

Source: After New Coronavirus Outbreaks, China Imposes Wuhan-Style Lockdown