Page 4 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 535  Next

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 2:02 am

That does indeed look worse. But presumably similar measures where taken in countries affected by ebola outbreaks. But those did not turn into major pandemics, alto that is little comfort for those living in the areas where it did spread too.

Now if you are worried that such tings might start to happen in your country. Then I would advise start checking, and if needed too improve, your supply situation. As it is now, you can still do it an orderly fashion and spread out the costs. So that it will not look like you are stockpiling. Secondly would be investing in off-line close by communities, build some social capital. Because if comes down to it, do really want to be fully depended on strained government programs/services?

Last edited by Sigbold on 26 Jan 2020, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 2:07 am

when are we gonna get modelovirus and dosequisvirus?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 8:18 am

The third case of coronavirus in the U.S. was confirmed in Southern California on Saturday, according to the Orange County Health Care Agency's Communicable Disease Control Division.

The patient had recently returned from Wuhan, China – epicenter of the outbreak that is believed to have killed at least 56 people -- and was in a hospital in good condition by Saturday evening, the agency said in a statement.

Canada, Australia and Malaysia also reported their first cases Saturday.

---------------------------------

A couple of side comments:

First - when something out of the ordinary, such as a school shooting occurs, it hits the 24 hour news cycle and the coverage is over-reported. All the news leads with the story and the coverage is around the clock for days or weeks. So the coverage of this coronavirus is disproportional to the actual threat. So in a sense it is overhyped.

Second - In the early days of the emergence of this coronavirus, it was underreported. So currently the number of affected individuals and the number of deaths are seeing a rapid rise because they are doing a catch up on actual figures.

So be cautious to the threat and take common sense precautions but don't fall into a panic mode.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 9:27 am

There seems to be four reported cases in France. None so far in the Netherlands. But we do seem to have a heavy commercial presence in Wuhan. It seems that Dutch companies have given their employees in the region the advise to work from home and watch their health.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 10:12 am

jimmy m wrote:
So be cautious to the threat and take common sense precautions but don't fall into a panic mode.

I'll go check my stock of N95 face masks I bought for the bird-flu scare. Not time to increase my stock yet though, I suppose :roll:.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 12:05 pm

CarlM wrote:
I'll go check my stock of N95 face masks I bought for the bird-flu scare. Not time to increase my stock yet though, I suppose :roll:.

I remember the last time there was a viral influenza and I came across some interesting research. The research was about impregnating face mask with metal salts to make them more effective at killing viruses rather than just trying to filter them out using an N95 face mask.

Here is a link to a similar article. A Novel Anti-Influenza Copper Oxide Containing Respiratory Face Mask

So I searched the internet for someone selling this improvement in face mask technology specifically designed for the viral threat and came across this:
HOW RK RESPOKARE ANTI-VIRAL MASK WORKS

It inactivates greater than 99.99% of influenza viruses within 5 minutes.

It is the only face mask that has demonstrated its anti-viral properties via extensive laboratory testing on airborne viruses. Accepted formally by the FDA, they created a brand new medical device classification (“OUK”) to accommodate ResoKare’s innovations in infection control and respiratory protection. RespoKare Anti-Viral Mask is the first and only anti-viral mask to receive 510(k) clearance for sale in USA (May 26, 2011).

It was also tested against coronavirus (SARS and MERS) and kills (inactivates) greater than 99.99% of those viruses within 1 minute.

So I thought I would beat the rush and order some for myself. Too late, the face mask available through the companies website is already sold out.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 12:20 pm

jimmy m wrote:
So I thought I would beat the rush and order some for myself. Too late, the face mask available through the companies website is already sold out.

Ha ha. I don't want to add to the panic. But several news sources are starting to tell people the virus may also infect through the eyes. So, there you go, some people start to wear swimming goggles! 8O

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/coronavirus-irish-man-in-wuhan-says-city-almost-like-a-ghost-town-1.4148983
... He said that when he does venture out he will wear a surgical mask over his mouth and nose and swimming goggles over his eyes.

I think some people in the news are over-panicking. For instance, China has announced that the virus can propagate before symptoms are manifested. There was also an announcement that the virus already has several variants. Things like that. However, there were absolutely no details in those announcements. For a rational person, if the virus is propagating asymptomatically, the world would have been entirely infected by now, and the number of cases wouldn't be so low outside China. So, many of the news comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 12:42 am

Latest news suggest the virus is getting out of control in Wuhan, China

80 dead and 3000 infected - number growing
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ve-updates

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2020, 1:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
Latest news suggest the virus is getting out of control in Wuhan, China

80 dead and 3000 infected - number growing
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ve-updates

Unoffical numbers suggests it is a lot higher then is being reported seen a video of a healthcare worker from Wuhan in bio gear saying 90,000 infected in Wuhan.

Who really knows though
https://nypost.com/2020/01/26/coronavirus-whistleblower-nurse-says-china-has-90000-sick/

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 2:11 am

Unofficially the real number may be closer to 90,000 which is getting scary
https://nypost.com/2020/01/26/coronavir ... 0000-sick/

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2020, 2:28 am

Wuhan also has a Bioweapon research lab located in the town which was build in 2017

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2020, 3:56 am

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 1:04 pm

How about we just shut down international travel for now?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 1:08 pm

How about we just blame some past U.S. president and be done with it?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 1:09 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
when are we gonna get modelovirus and dosequisvirus?
The cervezavirus gave us all immunity.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2020, 2:06 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
How about we just shut down international travel for now?

Trump could but soneone would claim he is being racist and shop for a Obama judge to stop it.