Page 5 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 535  Next

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2020, 2:06 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
How about we just shut down international travel for now?

Trump could but soneone would claim he is being racist and shop for a Obama judge to stop it.

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

Brehus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2020, 7:12 pm

Democracy is freedom, Communism is tyranny

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 7:32 pm

So some anonymous gray-haired white guy is telling me it's time to panic ... big, fat, hairy deal.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 8:05 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I remember the last time there was a viral influenza and I came across some interesting research. The research was about impregnating face mask with metal salts to make them more effective at killing viruses rather than just trying to filter them out using an N95 face mask.

I checked my local Home Depot store today. All the large boxes of N95 masks were gone. They still had smaller packages though. I also checked the Home Depot website and realized I probably wasn't going to find the big boxes of masks in other nearby stores.

The N95 masks are not 100% effective but far better than nothing and better than a surgical mask.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 11:55 pm

Late Monday, the Chinese government said that at least 106 deaths had been attributed to the coronavirus, with more than 4,500 cases confirmed in the country. Dr. Marc Siegel blamed Chinese authorities for just now beginning to impose quarantines and travel restrictions in and around Wuhan a full year after the virus was first reported, calling their inaction "reckless and really, really scary." "The numbers are suddenly skyrocketing. For months there was word coming out of China that people were getting sick from a strange illness and people were dying," Siegel said. "Are they really on all of the death certificates [from] this virus? Do we know people that had this? Or do they think they had the flu? I am positive that there are thousands and thousands of cases that never came to light here."

Source: Dr. Marc Siegel sounds alarm over China's 'reckless' and 'really scary' response to coronavirus

Mongolia, Malaysia and North Korea has closed its borders to China. Chinese authorities have scrambled to contain the disease, which began in Wuhan. Last week, the government suspended plane, train and bus travel to the city, which has a population of roughly 11 million people. The city also banned most vehicle use, including private cars, in downtown areas. A subsequent expansion of the lockdown spread to 17 cities, impacting more than 50 million people.

I expect there will be many travel bans imposed from several countries and China in the near future.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 12:01 am

Some pharmacies across the United States have reportedly sold out of surgical-style masks in the midst of the coronavirus that has crippled China and has since spread to several other countries.

The BBC reported that the masks began selling out in Seattle, where the first reported case of coronavirus was reported in the U.S. The outlet said other cities like New York, Washington D.C. and Los Angeles have had similar reports.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 12:13 am

jimmy m wrote:
Late Monday, the Chinese government said that at least 106 deaths had been attributed to the coronavirus, with more than 4,500 cases confirmed in the country. .

What is the liklihood of survival? who is getting killed? based on earlier viruses it tends to be the very old, very young and very sick

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 12:15 am

Melbourne city looked like this today

facemasks everywhere!!

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 12:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Late Monday, the Chinese government said that at least 106 deaths had been attributed to the coronavirus, with more than 4,500 cases confirmed in the country. .

What is the liklihood of survival? who is getting killed? based on earlier viruses it tends to be the very old, very young and very sick
Others have said it's over 2000 dead. I have a feeling the death toll is higher than what we are being told.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 1:53 am

Little about the biology of this virus is being released? lets hope it's not like Ebola otherwise the death toll will be in the millions

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 2:06 am

i hope seattle is safe. i'm moving near there next week....would be very bad timing.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 3:03 am

Israeli Mossad Lieutenant-Colonel claims the source of the virus is from a Bio-weapons lab in Wuhan

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 91cc8d9c42

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:01 am

The way I look at these epidemics as far as dying from one goes, is that in the US there were 37,461 deaths caused by traffic accidents in 2019. If I am going to be afraid of this virus I should be considerably more afraid to get into a car.

Last edited by EzraS on 28 Jan 2020, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:03 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i hope seattle is safe. i'm moving near there next week....would be very bad timing.

You should be a lot more concerned over having to drive in the rain a lot. And seagulls crapping on you. And all the vampires.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 5:17 am

You are totally correct, Ezra... you're more at risk every time you get in a car.

I don't know why, but someone out there has a vested interest in scaring the sh*t out of us and the media are complicit.

... and those face masks don't work. After a few minutes breathing through it they get warm and wet... bugs just love warm and wet. You'd probably be better off wearing gloves... you're more likely to pick stuff up from handrails and door handles.

PS... And I agree about the vampires.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 10:12 am

Concerns over the virus' fast-spreading nature have prompted the CDC to increase staffing at 20 U.S. airports that have quarantine facilities, The Washington Post reported.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it increased its travel warning to Level 3 on Monday, recommending travelers to "avoid all nonessential travel to China."

On Sunday, China's health minister Ma Xiaowei said the virus could be transmitted by an infected person before symptoms appear. That can pose a problem for containment of the virus. If people can contaminate others even before they begin to show symptoms, then containment will be very hard to implement. It may increase the pressure on airline travel bans.

On the good side, this new coronavirus doesn't seem to spread as easily among people as SARS or influenza. Most of the cases that spread between people were of family members and health workers who had contact with patients. That suggests the new virus isn't well adapted to infect people.

The outlet reported Germany's first declared case of the deadly virus late on Monday in Starnberg, a town 19 miles southwest of Munich. The patient is reportedly in "good condition" and is isolated under medical observation. Infections have now been confirmed in the China (including Hong Kong, Macao), the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal and Sri Lanka. Several other nations have suspected cases that have not been confirmed.

Hong Kong's leader has announced that all rail links to mainland China will be cut starting Friday as fears grow about the spread of a new virus. Chief Executive Carrie Lam said Tuesday that both the high-speed rail station and the regular train station would be closed.