Page 524 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 521, 522, 523, 524, 525, 526, 527 ... 535  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 7:13 am

beady wrote:
My son tested positive for covid last week.
Western Texas
This is the second time he had it and while it wasn’t as dreadful as the first time, he was still quite sick; exhausted, cold symptoms, throat sore, aching, a week later has a mild laryngitis.
Covid isn’t finished with us yet and it doesn’t seem as seasonal as the flu.

Yes COVID is still out there. Each new variant seems to be more contagious but at the same time less deadly. In the beginning in 2019/2020 it was a real killer, especially for the elderly and those with medical conditions.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2023, 8:14 am

There are two approaches to dealing with this pandemic (and the next one). One approach relies on medicine and medical personal. The other approach relies on physics/engineering and construction. We have developed the tools to keep us fairly safe from this scourge BUT WE DIDN'T FOR THE MOST PART USE THEM.

In general, this pandemic is spread indoors not outdoors. There are some exceptions such as buses and trains and planes. But for the most part, the virus is spread in homes and businesses.

In order to protect people in their homes, one method is to use a type of light to purify the air indoors. The light is called UV-C or Ultra Violet light type C. It kills the virus dead in its tracks. This is the method I have used to protect myself and my family for the past 3 years. It purifies the air that I breath. It is a low maintenance device and only needs to be cleaned about once per month.

There is another approach that can be used and that is called filtration. A proper filtration unit, one called a HEPA filter will purify the very, very, very small particles that transmit the virus.

But during the pandemic, almost all the devices that could be used to protect people were, in my humble opinion, wasted. For example during the beginning of the pandemic, you couldn't purchase an N95 mask if your life depended on it (and it this case, IT DID).

Now that this pandemic is winding down, many of the items that can provide protection from COVID or the next pandemic are beginning to show up in the stores. I came across one of these devices and bought it in order to try it out.

This device combines UV-C light and HEPA filtration in the same device. You might say it was the best of both worlds. This particular device was a Comfort Zone Model Number CZAP602SWT. I came across it by accident when I was in Menards and it set me back around $150. It purifies around 500 sq feet of air (several small rooms but not the entire house. It makes a bit of noise when it first comes online, but once the air purification level is attained, it becomes fairly quiet. I think it is a winner.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2023, 4:16 pm

WHO declares end to COVID global health emergency

Quote:
The World Health Organization ended the global emergency status for COVID-19 on Friday more than three years after its original declaration, and said countries should now manage the virus that killed more than 6.9 million people along with other infectious diseases.

The global health agency's Emergency Committee met on Thursday and recommended the UN organization declare an end to the coronavirus crisis as a "public health emergency of international concern" - its highest level of alert - which has been in place since Jan. 30, 2020.

"It is therefore with great hope that I declare COVID-19 over as a global health emergency," said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, adding that the end of the emergency did not mean COVID was over as a global health threat.

During a lengthy conference call to brief the press on the decision, some WHO members became emotional as they urged countries to reflect on lessons learned during the pandemic.

"We can't forget those fire pyres. We can't forget the graves that were dug. None of us up here will forget them," said WHO's technical lead on COVID-19 Maria Van Kerkhove.

The COVID death rate has slowed from a peak of more than 100,000 people per week in January 2021 to just over 3,500 in the week to April 24, 2023, according to WHO data, reflecting widespread vaccination, availability of better treatments and a level of population immunity from prior infections.

Ending the emergency could mean that international collaboration or funding efforts are also brought to an end or shift in focus, although many have already adapted as the pandemic receded in different regions.

"The battle is not over. We still have weaknesses and those weaknesses that we still have in our system will be exposed by this virus or another virus. And it needs to be fixed," said the WHO's emergencies director Michael Ryan.

Last year, U.S. President Joe Biden said the pandemic was over. Like a number of other countries, the world's biggest economy has begun dismantling its domestic state of emergency for COVID, which officially ends May 11, meaning it will stop paying for vaccines and testing for many people and shift responsibility to the commercial market.

The European Union also said in April last year that the emergency phase of the pandemic was over, and other regions have taken similar steps.

The decision also suggests that WHO advisers believe a new more dangerous coronavirus variant is unlikely to emerge in the coming months, although the virus remains unpredictable.

"I will not hesitate to convene another emergency committee should COVID-19 once again put our world in peril", WHO chief Tedros said.

In many parts of the world, testing has dwindled dramatically, and people have largely stopped wearing masks. In some countries, mask-wearing mandates have resumed during COVID outbreaks. The WHO published a plan this week advising countries on how to live with COVID long-term.

COVID will continue to challenge health systems worldwide long term, including long COVID, infectious disease experts say. "No one should take (this) to mean COVID-19 is no longer a problem," said Mark Woolhouse, an epidemiologist at the University of Edinburgh.

"It is still a significant public health problem and looks likely to remain one for the foreseeable future."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 8:54 am

So where are we at in the COVID wars? In a way it is a little hard to tell because we (the U.S.) has decided to stop counting. The best I can determine is the following variants in the U.S. are as follows:
According to the report published 2 May 2023:

XBB.1.5 ----- 68.8 %
XBB.1.16 ----- 11.7 %
XBB.1.9.1 --- 9.0 %
XBB.1.9.2 --- 3.7 %
XBB ---------- 2.4 %
XBB.1.5.1 --- 2.2 %
FD.2 --------- 1.3 %
BQ.1.1 -------- 0.4 %
CH.1.1 ------- 0.3 %
BQ.1 --------- 0.1 %

There are currently more than 12,601 cases reported in the United States per day, with test positivity of 5.1%. When test positivity is above 5%, transmission is considered uncontrolled. There are more than 150 deaths per day, a decrease of 20% over the past two weeks, and hospitalizations have declined by 15% over the last two weeks.

Since many are using home tests that are not reported through public health or are not testing at all, the official case counts underestimate the actual prevalence of COVID-19.

Source: What COVID-19 variants are going around in May 2023

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 4:50 pm

jimmy m wrote:
...hospitalizations have declined by 15% over the last two weeks.

Well they're about to shoot back up, a lot of hospitals are dropping their mask mandates right now =|

I think one or more of our hospitals might be on that list, so I'm not looking forward to our next visit.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 10:56 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
...hospitalizations have declined by 15% over the last two weeks.

Well they're about to shoot back up, a lot of hospitals are dropping their mask mandates right now =|

I think one or more of our hospitals might be on that list, so I'm not looking forward to our next visit.

All of our hospitals have dropped theirs months ago and our rates remain very low for now
Covid-19 experts say they warned White House about chance of an Omicron-level event within the next two years
Quote:
In March, the White House reached out to about a dozen Covid-19 experts who are closely following the evolution of the coronavirus to ask a simple question: What did they think were the chances of the world seeing a highly mutated variant, akin to Omicron, within the next two years?

The experts came up with a surprisingly narrow range of probabilities, between 5% and 30%, according to Dr. Eric Topol, founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. He said the data was shared with him on the phone after he gave his own estimate of 15% to 20%

Most believed that the odds would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% to 20%.

Dr. Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, told CNN that he was one of those experts.

He was approached by Dr. Ashish Jha, the Covid-19 response coordinator for the White House, for “just a informal phone conversation about my thoughts about immunity and variants and the chance of new variants emerging. It was not an official consultation meeting, as far as I could tell. It really was more of just a informal discussion amongst colleagues, I think,” Barouch said.

I said that there is a chance that there will be a new variant that is a fundamental shift, kind of like Delta to Omicron was. I thought that that was–it was not an infinitesimal chance, but it also is not an 80% chance,” he said. Jha pressed him to give a number, and Barouch told him, “my gut feeling is that it’ll be in the 20% range.”

Barouch said he was pleasantly surprised to find out that most of the other experts have put the chances around there, too.

One, Dr. Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, did some very simple modeling based on the fact that there’s been one Omicron-level shift in the virus in about 3½ years of transmission. That happened in November 2021, when the Omicron variant was first detected in the US.

Carrying that forward in time, he estimated that the risk of another such event within the next two years was higher, about 40% between now and May 4, 2025, he told CNN.

“40% feels intuitively high. The main reason that 40% number could be off is if in today’s world Omicron-like events are now much less likely than in the world of 2020-2021. However, I don’t see an obvious reason for this to be the case,” Bedford wrote in an email, noting that scientists are tracking highly mutated cryptic lineages in people who have been infected for long periods of time.

The calls to experts came as the Biden administration prepared for the end of the public health emergency for Covid-19, which is set for Thursday.

The end of the US emergency will come with a host of changes to how the government tracks the pandemic, with data collection becoming less frequent in most cases and less granular. Labs will no longer have to submit testing data to the government. Reporting of cases by states will also become discretionary.

Topol said he thinks the dismantling of data systems is a mistake, given the consensus that another highly disruptive variant could be on the way within a few years.

“I wish there wouldn’t be as much letdown, because this is on the horizon, is a real risk,” he said.

Topol said he’s also concerned by recent congressional efforts to reclaim funds that have been dedicated to coronavirus response, which some estimate could be as much as $50 billion.

About $5 billion of that unspent money has been allocated to developing the next generation of Covid-19 vaccines, which Topol says are needed now more than ever to defend against an Omicron-level event.

“This is why it’s so essential we get these next-generation vaccines, the nasal vaccines, the pan-coronavirus universal vaccines, the monoclonal antibodies that work against all versions of this virus,” Topol said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 7:58 am

The U.S. is closing the books on COVID. In their official announcement they wrote:

Although COVID-19 no longer poses the societal emergency that it did when it first emerged in late 2019, COVID-19 remains an ongoing public health challenge. By April 26, 2023, more than 104 million U.S. COVID-19 cases, 6 million related hospitalizations, and 1.1 million COVID-19–associated deaths were reported to CDC and summarized on CDC’s COVID Data Tracker.

Is this a good approach? At the moment I think it might be. We implemented a defective policy for handling COVID from the get-go. The threat of COVID transmission was 50 feet, not 6 feet. [The CDC recommends that you keep at least six feet between you and others.} Our health leaders generally recommended wearing substandard mask that DID NOT PROVIDE PROTECTIONS FROM GETTING COVID. We ignored the tools that could keep us safe during the pandemic (such as UV-C air filtration and Hepa filters, N95 masks and maintaining indoor humidity levels between 40 and 60 percent.) Also they failed to understand that as the virus became more contagious, it also became less deadly.

The main problem is that unless you learn from your mistakes, the process will repeat itself.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 9:35 am

jimmy m wrote:
The U.S. is closing the books on COVID.

Since we are in this new phase do you think we should lock this thread and create new one or several about post pandemic COVID, Long COVID, after effects on society? Others should chime in also.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 3:57 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Although COVID-19 no longer poses the societal emergency that it did when it first emerged in late 2019, COVID-19 remains an ongoing public health challenge. By April 26, 2023, more than 104 million U.S. COVID-19 cases, 6 million related hospitalizations, and 1.1 million COVID-19–associated deaths were reported to CDC and summarized on CDC’s COVID Data Tracker.

Interesting that they forgot to mention Long Covid...

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 7:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Since we are in this new phase do you think we should lock this thread and create new one or several about post pandemic COVID, Long COVID, after effects on society? Others should chime in also.

Interesting question. If we close this and begin a new thread focusing solely on Long COVID, I suspect that the threat will after a few days disappear from reality. Most people have moved on. They no longer consider COVID a dominant threat. People are still dying from it but it seems that in general NO ONE CARES ANYMORE. Society has moved on.

I think I might continue to keep it open for awhile just to make sure that another variant does not magically appear, one that is extremely deadly.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2023, 11:56 am

jimmy m wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Interesting question. If we close this and begin a new thread focusing solely on Long COVID, I suspect that the threat will after a few days disappear from reality. Most people have moved on. They no longer consider COVID a dominant threat. People are still dying from it but it seems that in general NO ONE CARES ANYMORE. Society has moved on.

I think I might continue to keep it open for awhile just to make sure that another variant does not magically appear, one that is extremely deadly.

If another bad variant does occur we are not going to know about it until it is too late, specifically when hospitalizations and then deaths spike. At that point cases would have been spiking for week or two and the variant would been in circulation a month or two because we have for all intents and purposes given up on collection of case data.

Also it will be up to insurance companies if they will still cover testing and vaccination. Who knows how that will work out. I would assume the price to buy those home testing kits will go up after Thursday unless the demand is really low which is very possible.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 7:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If another bad variant does occur we are not going to know about it until it is too late, specifically when hospitalizations and then deaths spike.

In a sense I think this is already underway.

The latest variants of COVID are the maze of XBB variants. They have an unusual property. Normally the virus is spread in northern U.S. states during the Winter months when indoor humidity levels are at their lowest. But the XBB variants are a little different.

They are spread when the indoor humidity levels are high (above 60%). That is why India is taking a beating at the moment.

Now we possess the tools to protect ourselves. One of these tools in the modern air conditioners. It can bring indoor air humidity temperatures below 60 percent in the very humid hot days. But we also have other tools that can help. These are air filters that use UV-C light or HEPA filters to kill the viral spread. These units are back on the market and available. And they are not that expensive either.

The XBB variant is a very different beast.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 9:17 am

I just saw this article from 2018.

...oops...

Could the deadly 1918 flu pandemic happen again?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 9:59 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I just saw this article from 2018.

...oops...

Could the deadly 1918 flu pandemic happen again?

It seems like I discussed this topic several years ago and cited the following article.

Experts: Pneumonia Was Real Killer in 1918 Flu Pandemic

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 8:47 pm

jimmy m wrote:
It seems like I discussed this topic several years ago and cited the following article.

That's not what the article I linked is about, though. It was them predicting that we'd probably have another huge pandemic soon, and whether or not we'd be prepared for it (spoilers: they were right, we were not prepared).

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2023, 8:50 am

I came across an interesting article.

As of today, the COVID-19 pandemic is not yet out of the woods due to the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 variants (the recent outbreak of CH.1.1, BQ.1, XBB, XBB. 1.9.1, XBB.1.16, XBF, BA.2.75, and XBB.1.5 Omicron subvariants) with increased transmission capacity and immune escape potential. At the time of writing, 633 million cases of SARS-CoV-2 infections have been reported worldwide, with 6.84 million deaths. The U.S.A, India, France and Germany have reported among the highest number of cases compared to other countries. Notably, the rapid emergence and growth of notorious variants of SARS-CoV-2 in highly vaccinated populations have put the effectiveness of the vaccine in doubt. Hence, researchers worldwide are working at record speed to find the best ways to keep up with the ever-increasing transmission rate of SARS-CoV-2.

Preliminary evidence shows that the virus spreads in smaller particles from exhaled air, known as aerosols. These aerosols are tiny and easily remain aloft in the air, leading to airborne transmission and posing a risk of exposure. Due to its highly contagious nature, preventive measures such as increased ventilation rate, improved natural ventilation, avoiding staying in another person's direct air flow and minimizing the number of people sharing the same environment should be adopted to reduce the risk of infection. In 2020, 239 scientists from different disciplines, such as environmental science, respiratory science, and architecture, appealed to the medical community and relevant authorities (local or international) to acknowledge the potential for airborne spread of SARS-CoV-2, citing increasing evidence that patients were infected by viruses in microscopic respiratory droplets (microdroplets) at short to medium distances (up to several meters or room-scale).

The WHO defines droplets with particle diameters of ≥ 5–10 μm and aerosols as < 5 μm. Airborne transmission refers to the presence of viruses in aerosols < 5 μm that are present in the environment (these aerosols can remain suspended in the air for a prolonged period and travel over 1 m). These tiny aerosols could originate from the evaporation of larger droplets or attach/condense on dust particles. Nevertheless, both forms of transmissions can be generated as a continuum of particle sizes during respiratory activities and do not demonstrate distinct behavior. Such small droplets travel freely in the air, carrying viral content up to tens of meters from the source. This spreading route often goes unnoticed as asymptomatic individuals emit aerosols <10 μm in size and produce few droplets. Therefore, understanding the exact transport mechanism is key for preventing outbreaks and designing new social behaviors to minimize the transmission.

Source: An overview of SARS-CoV-2 transmission and engineering strategies to mitigate risk

This is an interesting article. COVID was spread more than 5 or 6 feet, rather more like 50 feet from the source. It was spread by microscopic particles. Our approach was wrong from the get-go.

So what is the bottom line. Is COVID ended? I do not know. We have stopped taking count. The latest variants have produced a dramatic change. They are spread in high humidity indoor environments (if I am not mistaken). They are summertime spreaders.