Page 501 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504 ... 535  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:31 pm

Uh oh.

People who caught Covid in first wave get ‘no immune boost’ from Omicron
Study of triple vaccinated people also says Omicron infection does little to reduce chance of catching variant again

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 11:18 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Uh oh.

People who caught Covid in first wave get ‘no immune boost’ from Omicron
Study of triple vaccinated people also says Omicron infection does little to reduce chance of catching variant again

That probably explains why unlike other waves this one has lasted months around here. While the case rate is down it is down slightly and falling at a snail's pace.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 11:20 pm

How strong is your Covid immunity? A blood test could offer some insight

Quote:
A newly developed blood test that measures a specific immune response in the body could help doctors gauge how much protection a person has against Covid-19, according to a new study.

The test, which focuses on the part of the immune system that confers long-term protection by prompting the body to "remember" the virus, could help make sense of the complex tangle of Covid immunity that now exists from person to person.

The test can, for instance, measure immunity regardless of whether someone has developed a level of protection from one or more natural infections or from vaccinations and booster shots. Others, who may have much lower levels of protection because they are immunocompromised, could also use the test to assess their vulnerability and see how they responded to the vaccines, said Ernesto Guccione, an associate professor of oncological sciences and pharmacological sciences at the Tisch Cancer Institute at Mount Sinai.

"Ideally, it will give you a full picture of where you stand and a comprehensive picture of your immune protection," said Guccione, one of the authors of the study published Monday in the journal Nature Biotechnology.

The researchers said they are focused next on clinical trials in order to gain approval from both the Food and Drug Administration and the European Medicines Agency.

The test involves taking a small blood sample at a clinic and mixing it with snippets of proteins from the virus. Researchers then look to see if the so-called T cells are activated in the sample.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 11:35 pm

Does anyone with Long Covid know:

Can a person have Covid without knowing it, and then go on to develop life-threatening illness from Long Covid?
I'm wondering if my mother should be given an antibody test.
She never tested positive but she had a few rounds of bad respiratory problems in the past year.
Now she's critically ill.
They've tested pretty much every other illness known to man, and can't figure it out.

Even if she's positive for antibodies, I doubt it would help to cure her.

I don't know how this works.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 12:03 am

Apparently I no longer have immunity because it's been maybe six whole months since I got my two shots and a booster. Forget it, covid is not going away, it's more common than the common cold now, the latter which I'm not even sure exists anymore. It's never a cold now, it's covid, and if it's not covid it's an even more deadly strain of flu. They're not turning me into a human pin cushion and they're not making forcing me through yet another sleepless night feeling like I was dying of malaria and being half-dead for the next two or three days when if I really did get covid all I'd probably get is a runny nose and a cough. Just last Monday I woke up sneezing and sniffling a lot and I knew it was probably just form just or a mild allergy but I'm thinking no no I have to hurry and write up my will, as if I had anything decent to leave to anybody. Stupid world.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 2:30 am

lostonearth35,

You'll have immune memory from the injections, so your immune system will mobilize quicker than it normally would, leading to a better outcome. It won't stop infection. Yes, SARS-CoV-2 isn't going anywhere, and we're lucky some nice mice in Africa made Omicron for us, which isn't much more severe than seasonal influenza, it's just airborne. Protection from infection doesn't last long, much like any respiratory coronavirus. The other endemic human coronaviruses are out there, but eh, they're nothing. An Omicron specific vaccine will be useful for the vulnerable (or anyone that wants it), as even if it's quite a bit less severe than the previous mutants, they have a higher chance of a more severe outcome all the same. Giving people the old Wuhan spike antigen vaccine is mostly futile in the end when it comes to the majority of the population and Omicron. It's not going to reduce the severity all that much with Omicron, but it'll be worth it for those who're very vulnerable, as the reduction in severity is far more useful in their case (this is just the opinion of a Professional Autistic, though). Feels like I'm one of the few that haven't got it yet in my state. :| I guess being that asocial loner comes in handy sometimes, especially with a real deal.

No need to write your will for SARS-CoV-2.

IsabellaLinton,

Unlikely Long Covid with what most think of when that's mentioned. However, moderate-severe COVID-19 can cause organ and/or blood vessel damage that could lead to organ dysfunction and subsequent life-threatening illness or death later on, but such would be evident. I'll hazard a guess and say probably unrelated to SARS-CoV-2.

Sorry for you and your mother.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 7:29 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does anyone with Long Covid know:

Can a person have Covid without knowing it, and then go on to develop life-threatening illness from Long Covid?

There has been anecdotal evidence, yes. Nothing confirmed, of course, but you'll often see stories in the support groups about "I'm starting to wonder if I did have Covid."

Or people who are having LC relapses and wondering if they caught it again without knowing.

Dillogic wrote:
Unlikely Long Covid with what most think of when that's mentioned. However, moderate-severe COVID-19 can cause organ and/or blood vessel damage that could lead to organ dysfunction and subsequent life-threatening illness or death later on, but such would be evident.

That sounds exactly like Long Covid to me?
There are many different flavors of LC, many different co-morbids and side-effects. That's part of the reason doctors are having so much trouble figuring out how to attack this thing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 7:51 am

One thing is evident: this spike consisting of Omicron variants (not the original Omicron) didn't cause a spike in hospitalizations in New York State that even the original Omicron produced.

There are still quite a few positives in New York State----in the neighborhood of 7-8%----but hospitalizations have actually gone down, and deaths have gone way down.

Dillogic seems to have an "inside track" on this. I would at least heed what he writes.

The present-day Omicron variants seem really similar to "seasonal flu"-----though, alas, it's not "seasonal," but year-round.

Long COVID, I find, represents the "vast unknown." It just seems totally random. A person with severe illness might not get it; whereas a person with very mild symptoms initially might get Long COVID severely.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 3:08 pm

IsabellaLinton,

Off Topic
I'm sorry I can offer nothing helpful but I do sincerely hope for the best with your mother.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 7:00 am

The important thing to remember is that the Omicron variant is much more contagious but much less deadly.

Where I live, things are returning back to near normal. People are no longer wearing masks and many are going back to work. The main targets are old people (such as myself at age 73) and younger people with preexisting medical conditions such as overweight, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.

And if you are still fearful, then implement the three steps I used to protect me and my family from COVID.
1. Wear N95 masks when you are outside your home.
2. Install a UVC filtration system in your home.
3. Keep your indoor room humidity levels between 40 and 60 percent.

It really looks like things are winding down in the U.S. Almost everyone has either been vaccinated or have some build in immunity because they have had COVID a few times and lived to tell the tale.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 10:47 pm

Omicron less likely to cause long COVID than delta: study

Quote:
The omicron variant of the coronavirus is substantially less likely than the earlier delta variant to cause symptoms of long COVID-19, according to a new study.

The study from researchers in the United Kingdom published in The Lancet finds that 4.5 percent of omicron cases resulted in long COVID, compared to 10.8 percent of delta cases.

While on one hand it is good news that the currently circulating omicron variant is less likely to cause long COVID than the earlier delta variant, the study also shows there still is a significant chance of getting long COVID, even with omicron.

“The Omicron variant appears substantially less likely to cause Long-COVID than previous variants but still 1 in 23 people who catch COVID-19 go on to have symptoms for more than four weeks,” Claire Steves, the study’s lead author and a researcher at King’s College London, said in a statement. “Given the numbers of people affected it’s important that we continue to support them at work, at home and within the [health system].”

In addition, because the omicron variant spreads more easily and infects more people, the total number of long COVID cases was actually higher during the omicron period, the study found. For each individual, though, the odds of getting long COVID are lower.

I am far from ready to completely exhale, but I can exhale a tinsy bit. It is one study and a study that apparently did not measure the severity of post-Omicron Long Covid. But it is the first good Long Covid rate news of any kind.

Why are so many with COVID booster shots testing positive?
Behind a paywall
Quote:
OVID-19 boosters are designed to pump up the immune system as protection from the initial shots wanes, but federal data released Friday shows a surprising trend: For months, people with booster shots have been more likely than non-boosted vaccinated people to get infected with the coronavirus.

Medical experts said boosters can only do so much to battle omicron subvariants that are more contagious than previous virus strains, especially as immunity from the boosters declines over months and boosted people venture into increasingly riskier settings. Experts also said many boosted people may have been more cautious in the past, so they may have avoided getting the virus and don’t have the added immunity from previous infection.

“Part of it is just behavior and risk,” said Dr. Steven Carsons, director of the Vaccine Center at NYU Langone Hospital-Long Island in Mineola. “People who are boosted feel that they’re really protected based on the older data.”

“I struggle with myself,” Carsons said, regarding how much risk to take. He spoke by phone from home, where he was recovering from COVID-19 after getting infected for what he believed was the first time.

Carsons received his second booster on April 2, and in part because of that, “I was doing things the last couple of weeks I wouldn’t have done” previously, including dining indoors at restaurants.

Dr. Bruce Farber, chief of public health and epidemiology for Northwell Health, cautioned that the shift in infections shouldn’t discourage people from getting boosters.

“There is no suggestion or data that the booster increases your risk of getting COVID,” he said.

Boosted people still are least likely to end up in the hospital or die of COVID-19, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data show. Plus, unvaccinated Americans remain at far greater risk of dying or getting severely ill from the disease than vaccinated people, and they are at higher risk of getting infected, research shows.

The CDC, in an email response to Newsday about boosters, wrote: "In well-controlled vaccine effectiveness studies, booster doses have been shown to offer higher protection against infection, hospitalization, and death, than a primary series alone, including during the omicron period."

Dr. Wafaa El-Sadr, a professor of epidemiology and medicine at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University, said people choosing to get boosted "are in all likelihood quite different from the people who are not." That includes, for example, health care workers and people who are regularly in crowded environments, she said.

“It’s possible the people seeking boosters are at higher risk of COVID, and are more likely to be in situations where you could get the virus, and that’s the reason they want to be boosted,” she said.

Boosted people also may be more likely to seek tests in hospitals, health centers and other sites outside the home, and that could push up their infection numbers in official statistics, El-Sadr said.

Boosters were first authorized in September, and for months, people with boosters were less likely to get infected than non-boosted vaccinated people, and far less likely to get infected than unvaccinated people, CDC data shows.

n the week starting Feb. 13, the infection rate for boosted people surpassed that of people with only initial shots.

In CDC data released Friday, from the week beginning May 15, the rate for boosted people was 247 per 100,000, compared with 121 per 100,000 for non-boosted vaccinated people and 422 per 100,000 for unvaccinated people.

The CDC on Friday also released data on people 50 and older with two boosters. They had a rate for the week starting May 15 of 162 per 100,000, versus 201 per 100,000 for those with one booster, 128 per 100,000 for vaccinated people with no booster, and 615 per 100,000 for the unvaccinated.

Data reported by New York City, which goes through the week ending June 4, shows that people there with boosters are more likely to test positive than vaccinated people without them.

Dr. David Hirschwerk, an infectious disease expert and medical director of North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, noted some people received their first booster nine months ago, and many eligible for a second booster haven’t gotten one.

“There certainly is some degree of waning immunity,” he said.

During the major winter omicron surge, many non-boosted people contracted the virus, “and the infection they experienced may have provided some subsequent protection from reinfection,” he said.

Hirschwerk said decisions about what risks to take are "personal."

Hirschwerk said that's where the focus should be: on how boosters decrease the chances of severe illness or death.

Yet even the gap between those rates had narrowed during the omicron surge, although actual numbers declined after the massive winter omicron spike.

The hospitalization gap also narrowed. In mid-November, for example, boosted people were more than six times less likely to be hospitalized than non-boosted vaccinated people, and 56 times less likely to be hospitalized than unvaccinated people.

By the week ending March 19, boosted people were about 45% less likely to be hospitalized than non-boosted vaccinated people, and about five times less likely than unvaccinated people.

Carsons said one reason for the narrowing gaps could be that many severely immunocompromised people — such as those on chemotherapy, transplant recipients and people with autoimmune diseases — are boosted, but because of their conditions, many don’t produce antibodies, even after one or two boosters. That puts them at higher risk for hospitalization and death. Some are unaware of that and may believe they are more protected than they really are, he said.

Another reason is the large number of boosted people in recent months counted as COVID-19 hospitalizations who entered the hospital for another reason — like a broken leg or a heart condition — and later tested positive, Carsons said.

Basically, this article is educated guesses. They are still guesses.

I agree with a lot of the guesses. Especially the part where most people in most circumstances have ditched the mitigation measures.

I am hoping that since the upcoming Noravax vaccine was created using traditional technology that it will have a traditional amount of time before its effectiveness wanes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 11:02 pm

Double Retired wrote:
IsabellaLinton,

Off Topic
I'm sorry I can offer nothing helpful but I do sincerely hope for the best with your mother.

Thank you all.

She's had many diagnoses from many different doctors / departments.
The verdict changes daily. Sometimes twice a day.

Currently, they think this started in response to a virus of some sort.
It attacked her heart, liver, and kidneys.
She has ascites and markers for extreme inflammation.
She's still in very poor shape, having trouble breathing.
Prednisone helps but sends her back to A-Fib.

I just wish they knew which virus it was.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 11:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
She's had many diagnoses from many different doctors / departments.
The verdict changes daily. Sometimes twice a day.

Currently, they think this started in response to a virus of some sort.

I just wish they knew which virus it was.

This has to be so frustrating for all involved. Sorry

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 11:15 pm

Thanks ^

Personally, I think it could have been EBV.

They test her for Covid every day but haven't done an antibody test yet.
It's frustrating when a new doctor comes in with a new idea, and we like / trust them.
Then they do the tests and vanish, meaning their idea was wrong.
Then the next doctor, and the next and the next, always striking out.

I think she's on her eleventh doctor now in 18 days.
He's with Cardio-Pulmonary.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:24 am

Migosh! I know that’s frustrating!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 11:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Personally, I think it could have been EBV.

COVID causes EBV to reactivate, so who knows. Even people who never knew they ever had EBV have said that markers showed up when they were tested.