Page 504 of 535 [ 8550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507 ... 535  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 10:01 pm

jimmy m wrote:
THE COMING SURGE

If you observed the trends that COVID has produced in the past 2.5 years, it is possible to predict the near future. The latest variant of COVID called the Omicron variant will produce havoc during the winter around the northern states of the U.S. spiking around the December time frame.

HUMIDITY, HUMIDITY, HUMIDITY

If you look at the past few years, you will notice that there are two main surges in the U.S. each year. One in the winter and one in the summer. Now if you look a little closer, you might see that the winter surge is focused on the Norther states and the summer surge is focused more South. This is because of humidity levels. During the winter, people live and work in the northern states in highly efficient SEALED homes and offices. The fact that these are sealed very tight and heated very efficiently drives down the humidity levels towards ZERO.

Why is this important? COVID spreads when humidity levels are low (below 40 percent) and when humidity levels are high (above 60 percent). So it is possible to make a FUTURE prediction.

BUT THERE ARE TWO VARIABLES in play.

#1 Indoor humidity levels are controllable. All one needs is an indoor air humidifier to maintain the humidity levels. The lower the humidity, the rate of infection grows very substantially.

#2 Being vaccinated for COVID will not protect you. That is because the vaccines are designed to protect you from the INITIAL variant of the plague. NOT THE CURRENT VERSION CALLED OMICRON. Several people who were diligent about getting their shots have come down with COVID recently. The latest version Omicron is highly contagious. So what does that mean?
If you had the COVID vaccines YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE.
If you had one of the early versions of COVID, YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE.
The solution is to get the latest version of the COVID shots that protect against the OMICRON variant when it come available.

A SURGE IS COMING. WILL YOU BE PREPARED?

Besides humidity people congregate indoors when it is unbearable outside. That is in the north of the USA during the winter and in the south during the summer.

What concerns me here is that Long Island is very much the north and it is very much summer and yet the rate of spread is still high. The positivity rates during the first two summers of the pandemic here were minuscule between 0.5 and 1.0 percent. Now we have been running around 11 percent for like 6 weeks.

SANS OTHER ISSUES THE VACCINATIONS WILL PROTECT YOU FROM SEVERE COVID. "Mild" Covid is somewhat of a misnomer. It only means no need to go to the hospital, not that you won't be miserable.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 11:20 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"Mild" Covid is somewhat of a misnomer. It only means no need to go to the hospital, not that you won't be miserable.

I wasn't miserable from my latest SARS-CoV-2 infection (obviously Omicron). Not young at 40ish. Sure, I still can't smell, but that's nothing. :| Definitely "mild" for me, and I had chest tightness too, which pointed to lung infiltration. Marked fatigue for a couple of days. Didn't feel as bad as seasonal Influenza A for me, which gives me that very high temperature and I can't do much of anything but lie in bed. I'd take SARS-CoV-2 over seasonal A, even with the loss of smell (I had poor smell to begin with). Maybe my second go with SARS-CoV-2 will make me feel worse since immune memory will be there so enter an early and hard antigen specific immune response. :? I didn't get the subacute cough that now seems common, though.

To be fair, people seem to find it bothersome, as I get secondhand accounts.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 11:40 am

Double Retired wrote:
I agree. And am glad your outlook is good.

Thanks. I am slowly getting better each day. At least I am not up all night with a hacking cough now.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 11:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sorry that happened to you, Quantum.

I hope you get back to your regular life really soon.

Thanks. I thought I would have caught it first via teaching, but it got me when I was on vacation instead. What are the odds?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 3:38 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
I tested positive for COVID last Friday using a home test. I started having symptoms like a cold a day before. It was pretty taxing on my system, as I had very low energy. Going up and down a flight of stairs took more than an hour to recover from. Five days in, it is almost done (except for the occasional phlegm from a cough) but I am still contagious to other. At least three or four more days of self isolation before I can retest and possibly to return back to my regular life again. I am glad I had the two shots and the booster of Pfizer before I caught it. It was likely picked up at an event that I went to that had too many people too close together. Sometimes you can be too lax in safety and pay the price for doing so.
Oh...possibly bad news based upon my own recent trip through COVID:

1. The home test we used apparently did not detect our COVID for a few days. That is, we both tested negative and a day or two later tested positive...and we both strongly believe we were already infected when we got that initial negative test result.

2. After the quarantine/isolation period and after the symptoms were gone we both sometimes still got faint positive results on the home test. Our medical insurer's help line says the test was likely not reacting to COVID virus in our systems but rather COVID antigens...and the tests should get correct results after no more than 90 days.

And I have no idea how we are supposed to organize our lives if at first you get a negative result even though you are infected, and if after the infection you can't trust the test results for 90 days. :(

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 5:46 pm

I know this might sound strange but the fact that the current version of COVID is much much much more contagious that previous strains has one great benefit. IT IS LESS DEADLY THAN PREVIOUS VERSIONS.

So in a way almost everyone will get COVID but almost everyone will survive because it is less deadly than previous versions.

So in a way it is how people will attain immunity and yet survive the experience.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 6:43 pm

My daughter and just got Covid. She is definitely as sick as a very bad flu. She was vaccinated and boosted prior to becoming infected and is young. She is also in excellent physical shape and has a diet that is strongly healthy as well.

When I have gotten the flu depsite having gotten the flu vaccine, in prior years, its didn't seem even close to as sick as she is now. Can't imagine what it would have been like if she had not been vaccinated and boosted.

I wear a mask pretty stringently whenever I am in public. I was hoping people would adapt to mask wearing more often but ....doesnt seem to be that way. Keep protecting yourselves :heart:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:55 pm

Covid hospitalizations have doubled since May as omicron BA.5 sweeps U.S., but deaths remain low

Quote:
People hospitalized with Covid-19 have doubled since early May as the even more transmissible omicron BA.5 subvariant has caused another wave of infection across the country, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

But deaths from Covid still remain relatively low given the number of infections right now, the officials said. Dr. Ashish Jha, who coordinates the Biden administration’s Covid response, said deaths from the virus are not increasing at the same rate they once did due to the availability of vaccines and the antiviral treatment Paxlovid.

“Even in the face of BA.5, the tools we have continue to work. We are at a point in the pandemic where most Covid-19 deaths are preventable,” Jha told reporters during a pandemic update Tuesday. But he said the number of deaths still remains unacceptably high given the fact that the U.S. has vaccines and treatments to prevent the worst outcomes.

More than 16,600 total patients were hospitalized with Covid across the U.S. as of Saturday, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Currently, an average of more than 5,000 people have been admitted to the hospital with Covid every day compared with an average of more than 2,000 daily admissions for the week ended May 1, according to the CDC.

The U.S. is currently reporting an average of nearly 104,000 Covid infections per day as of Sunday which is almost double the number of reported cases at the start of May, according to the data. White House chief medical advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said the reported infections are clearly an undercount because many people are using at-home tests that aren’t reflected in the data. Fauci said the real number of cases might be anywhere between 300,000 and 500,000 new infections a day.

Deaths from the virus have remained relatively low at about 280 fatalities a day on average as of Sunday, according to CDC data. At the height of the winter omicron wave, an average of nearly 2,700 people were dying from Covid a day.

Fauci said BA.5 doesn’t appear to carry a great risk of severe disease compared with other omicron subvariants. But as cases increase due to its greater transmissibility, some people will end up in the hospital or ICU, he said.

People who caught the previous omicron variants, BA.1 and BA.2, are likely still at risk of infection from BA.4 and BA.5, according Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC. Walensky said the current omicron wave will likely play out differently around the country depending on how much immunity communities have from vaccination, boosting and prior infection.

The Biden administration is also discussing whether the broader population should be eligible for a second booster shot, though that decision ultimately rests with the Food and Drug Administration and the CDC, Jha said. The FDA told the vaccine makers last month to change the formula in their shots to target the BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants, as well as the original virus strain that first emerged in Wuhan, China, ahead of a possible fall booster campaign.

U.S. health officials are worried the country faces another major surge in infection this fall as immunity from the vaccines wanes and people spend more time indoors to escape the colder weather. Jha said the U.S. has placed one order with Pfizer for 105 million doses of the updated vaccine. The U.S. is also in discussions with other companies for additional shots, he said.

“Obviously, that will not be enough for all Americans,” said Jha, who has repeatedly warned that the U.S. might have to ration vaccines to those who face the highest risk from the virus this fall if Congress does not approve more funding for the pandemic response.

Negotiations over a Covid funding package have been stalled for months over Republican opposition to the White House’s original $22.5 billion price tag. The Senate struck a bipartisan deal for $10 billion to buy vaccines and treatments, but that package has stalled as GOP lawmakers and some Democrats demand the Biden administration reimplement a pandemic-era public health law that deported asylum seekers and other migrants attempting to cross the U.S.-Mexico border.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 7:22 am

beady wrote:
I wear a mask pretty stringently whenever I am in public. I was hoping people would adapt to mask wearing more often but ....doesnt seem to be that way. Keep protecting yourselves :heart:

Wearing a mask can help prevent an infection. But it has to be a good mask such as an N95. But most people do not wear this type. They wear a mask that in many cases is worthless. COVID virus is extremely small and can pass through most types of mask. The mask they give you when you visit hospitals is good but it is still one level lower than an N95. There are several different types of N95s. In my humble opinion the best mask out there is one made by Moldex called the 4200 series N95. The reason why I like this mask is because it is designed to allow a greater amount of air to pass through it. It is like not wearing a mask at all. This mask was off the market during most of the pandemic but is now back and can be bought.

The other problem with mask wearing is that you actually have to wear the mask when you are exposed. The threat is generally an indoor threat (not an outdoor threat). There are some exceptions to the rule (such as public transportation). Now here is the big problem with mask wearing. COVID is an INDOOR THREAT. That means one of the places people get COVID is IN THEIR OWN HOMES. Unless you have the ability to kill the virus if it enters your home or you kill any viruses that enter your home, you will still stand a good chance of getting it. Your friend or family member pays a visit and carries it into your home. The current version of COVID, the Omicron variant is highly, highly contagious.

But the good news is that it is less deadly than previous versions of COVID. So what to do? Well soon they will have a special shot available that will be designed to stop the OMICRON variant. So when it becomes available, GET THE NEW AND IMPROVED VACCINE.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 8:20 am

jimmy m wrote:
The other problem with mask wearing is that you actually have to wear the mask when you are exposed. The threat is generally an indoor threat (not an outdoor threat). There are some exceptions to the rule (such as public transportation). Now here is the big problem with mask wearing. COVID is an INDOOR THREAT..

Considering both how contagious and how widespread it is now in the summertime I am thinking unlike in the past, where people are crowded together OUTSIDE are now superspreader events.

I am surprised at the renewed interest in this topic. I had assumed people had gotten bored with discussing COVID and under the assumption the COVID was here to stay had moved on.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 8:59 am

Yeah, a N95-equivalent mask will work well enough, along with eyewear.

Omicron, with BA.4 and BA.5, have sadly started utilizing TMPRSS2 again for spike processing (cleavage of the fusion protein S2 relies on TMPRSS2). That one mutation in the receptor-binding domain seems to have done it. Which probably exposes the S2 cleavage site upon ingress longer or something. It'll go back to the older organ tropism of replicating in the lungs well and not just the bronchi. They don't appear close to Delta in severity, but they might be more severe than the older Omicron mutants, along with an increase in the chance of Long COVID. Hamster pathogenicity models are contradictory here.

I dunno if the current subacute cough many are experiencing in the latest wave is due to this, but it might be.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 10:50 am

Double Retired wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
I tested positive for COVID last Friday using a home test. I started having symptoms like a cold a day before. It was pretty taxing on my system, as I had very low energy. Going up and down a flight of stairs took more than an hour to recover from. Five days in, it is almost done (except for the occasional phlegm from a cough) but I am still contagious to other. At least three or four more days of self isolation before I can retest and possibly to return back to my regular life again. I am glad I had the two shots and the booster of Pfizer before I caught it. It was likely picked up at an event that I went to that had too many people too close together. Sometimes you can be too lax in safety and pay the price for doing so.
Oh...possibly bad news based upon my own recent trip through COVID:

1. The home test we used apparently did not detect our COVID for a few days. That is, we both tested negative and a day or two later tested positive...and we both strongly believe we were already infected when we got that initial negative test result.

2. After the quarantine/isolation period and after the symptoms were gone we both sometimes still got faint positive results on the home test. Our medical insurer's help line says the test was likely not reacting to COVID virus in our systems but rather COVID antigens...and the tests should get correct results after no more than 90 days.

And I have no idea how we are supposed to organize our lives if at first you get a negative result even though you are infected, and if after the infection you can't trust the test results for 90 days. :(

My home test picked up that I was positive for the antigen within three minutes of testing. It says to give fifteen minutes for the second band (t) to show up, but it was clearly present even before the regular band. I figured I will wait until tomorrow before retesting, as that would be six days since the last test. I finally slept well last night for the first time in a week. I hate coughing while sleeping. Other than being a little tired with a pugged sinus/nose, I feel fine now. I will not got outside to do things until I get a negative result on the test.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 5:05 pm

"Emergence of a Deadly Coronavirus"

It's True, This is What Happens When A Species

Encroaches too Much on Mother Nature's Overall Balancing Force Real Now!

Specifically, TaKinG Wild Life Refuge Away From Other Species ThiS Way;

Domesticating Wild
Life For Servitude; Yep,

Next Thing Ya KNoW;
God Yes, Pig and Bird Flu,

And Sure, Verily Add In Some
Mad Cow Disease For 'Good Measure'

of Just Kicking the Can of Mother Nature
Balancing Down the Road Some More Not Realizing
That God Damned Can Includes Us As Mother Nature True too...

MAGA Make America Great; Hell No! It's More like Don't Wear
A Mask, Kick Your Can Down the Road Some More, Even Get More
Ignorant And Refuse to Vaccinate; Does Mother Nature Shed Tears

For Her Children's

Ignorance; Nope, Balance

is The Rule; Pay More Attention

Than What Science Shows is the Average

Attention Span of a Gold Fish; Yep, Less Than Three

Seconds 'You Ignorant Humans' Or Indeed 'You' Will
Kick Your Can Yes All the Way into A Premature Grave

By Shooting Yourself in the Foot Again on '5th Avenue'

Yet This Instance, Again, it Might Be in A Group of Kid's in a Texas Classroom

As an Whole Army of Cops, Etc., Tepid Away From Fear of An Assault Weapon THere;

Listen Houston, We've Got Problems And A Pandemic Is Still Trying to Get Our Gold Fish

Attention Span, Like A Small Child of Mother Nature Still Just Tugging @Our Pant's Leg

Reminding Us Ignorantly

That We Are Foolish; NO!

We aRe No Real Emperor

Orange; We aRe Just Naked
Nature Like The Rest of the Bunch...

Yes, Yes, i Had the Second Go Around With
COVID-19, 2 Weeks Ago And the Educated me
And My Wife, me2; We Are No Minion Crew, Fully 4X
Vaccinated 52 for Her and 62 for me Both Conquering

This Latest Version of Covid-19 in Ease As True We Didn't
Have to Go to Work Sick and Spread it Some More Like So Many
Folks Do to Make Ends Meet With No Sick Leave These Days As By God
My Wife's Sister-In-Law Who Works in the Frigging Health Care Field Was

Required to
Do Before She
Almost Fell Down
On Her Face There;

In America, We've Become Immune
to Unwarranted Wars That Kill 100's of
Thousands of Innocent Folks Who Didn't
Have to Die if There Was Just No Big Lies;

In America, We Use 40 Percent of the World's Human
Resources With 4 Percent of the Human Population of the Globe;

Is There Any Surprise That Greed And Hoarding Is Associated With
Close to 40 Percent of the World's Pandemic Deaths at Well Over A Million
Dead Now; Where We've Become Immune to Concern, So Many, Over Still Close
to 300 Dead A Day Now And Potentially Not Just 100,000 A Day Infected With
This Newest Strain Yet Potentially 7 Times More or So AS Hardly Anyone Is Keeping

(And Close to 40 Percent of the Globe's Mass Shooting Death'S in Ignorance of Killing Tools)

Track of What's
Even Going Up
And Down These
Days As What Room
Is THere for That and This
With Gold Fish Attention Now...

Yep, Kicking Our Cans Down the Road
Hand-In-Hand Now Unmasked Even in
Church With No Social Distancing As Directed

By High Bishops For Catholic Mass in the Deadliest
Part of the Whole Pandemic in 'Delta Dawn' Variant Days...

Listen, Can AND WiLL You Hear the Sound; The Echo of Huge Sequoia Trees Burning Down;

Yes, God Damn It, 'Rome' Is Burning 'You Fools' Wake Up NoW And Smell Mother Nature's

Breath Before

She Really Gets
Pissed Like A Buck
With a Full Rack on A
Super Full Moon Night

And Huffs And Puffs and Blows
Our Ignorant Butts Down With A
Potential Cat-6 Hurricane of Something
Or Another Big Surprise Still To Come Next;

YES!

Wake
Up!

Smell
Her Breath;
She's on Fire!
A Fire Ball She Is too!

'Godzilla' is Returning
Soon to A Theater Sooner THAT Soon..!

Do Note, 'Godzilla' Shape Shifts As Smaller/Larger Than Pandemics too!

Oh By The Way, Have You Seen the Price of Gas! And The Such! Indeed
The Message is Clear!

'The Time' is
Shorter, Sadly

3 Seconds and Less...
Tick, Tock,Tic, Boom!
YeS HeART Beats, We're Still
Breathing, Enjoy This Life While
We Still Can And WiLL And Sure
Perhaps Even Give An 'S' too Now

for
Hope
at Least
to Heal What
Ails Us Most; God Yes, US.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:19 am

Funnily, I didn't even get a positive on a rapid antigen test, and I took a few (the chemist throws them at me for "free"). Not even a faint positive. I only knew I had COVID-19 as the household contact got a couple of positives a few days after symptom onset. Thought I was maybe immune and just had allergies with a mild migraine of sorts until I noticed my smell was gone. Developed some more severe symptoms, but they weren't bad.

I can kinda see why it might be bad for those with an impaired immune system, as you can tell it's systemic. It's the weirdest virus I've had. :| Unvaccinated, so I would have had the full type-I interferon suppression and a lack of an early antigen specific immune response from no immune memory.

I'll probably feel "sicker" the next go, even if it'll theoretically be milder.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:15 am

Dillogic wrote:
Yeah, a N95-equivalent mask will work well enough, along with eyewear.

Omicron, with BA.4 and BA.5, have sadly started utilizing TMPRSS2 again for spike processing (cleavage of the fusion protein S2 relies on TMPRSS2). That one mutation in the receptor-binding domain seems to have done it. Which probably exposes the S2 cleavage site upon ingress longer or something. It'll go back to the older organ tropism of replicating in the lungs well and not just the bronchi. They don't appear close to Delta in severity, but they might be more severe than the older Omicron mutants, along with an increase in the chance of Long COVID. Hamster pathogenicity models are contradictory here.

I dunno if the current subacute cough many are experiencing in the latest wave is due to this, but it might be.

N95 masks were off the market for at least a year after the pandemic began. So unless you had one stored away, you were out of luck at the beginning. I had one but it was stored in my car garage and was totally mildewed. It took me a couple weeks to re-purify it and make it usable again. But it was worth the attempt. About a year after the pandemic, they entered the market again but many were knockoffs from China that could not pass the N95 test requirements. Many Asian countries used N94 mask and I suspect they are almost as good. But the problem is whether they were designed properly and will pass the test. These are unique pieces of equipment. But after the vaccines became available, I didn't see a reason for wearing them because after getting vaccinated, I was basically immune.

But this new version does throw a monkey wrench into the process.

So I will either get a reduced form of COVID or I will get the new and improved COVID shot when it becomes available.

As you said I dunno if the current subacute cough many are experiencing in the latest wave is due to this, but it might be. is a trait of the latest variant. My friend who is trying to recover from the latest version of COVID mentioned the cough.

I came down with CIVID. 2% of the COVID cases get COVID pneumonia.
Lucky me I was in the 2%! I am trying to recover but it is taking much
longer than I expect. I have trouble talking because of the coughing.

A week later he wrote: I am getting better now--I can have a conversation without coughing up a storm.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 8:36 am

There is a reason for the coughing with this variant.
The rise of a new ‘Deltacron’? BA.5 combines the worst traits of Omicron with the potential for severity reminiscent of Delta, experts say

Quote:
Relatively new COVID-19 subvariant BA.5 takes some of Omicron’s worst traits—transmissibility and immune evasion—to a new level.

But it also combines them with a penchant for affecting the lungs reminiscent of the Delta variant that hit the U.S last summer and fall, according to two recent studies.

In the case of Delta, COVID tended to accumulate in and affect the lungs, potentially resulting in more severe disease. Until recently, a silver lining of Omicron has been its tendency to instead accumulate in the upper respiratory tract, causing symptoms more similar to a cold or the flu.

BA.5 is different, according to a study published June 10 on medRxiv, a Yale– and British Medical Journal–affiliated website that publishes studies not yet certified by peer review. Recent reports show BA.5 shifting back to the lower respiratory tract—at least in animal models—“with a potential increase in disease severity and infection within lung tissue,” researchers from Australia’s Kirby Institute wrote. They referenced another May preprint study that found BA.5 and close relative BA.4 replicate more efficiently in the alveoli of human lungs than so-called stealth Omicron, BA.2.

The scenario calls to mind the term Deltacron, which referred to a Delta-Omicron hybrid identified in the U.S. this spring that never took off. Back then, the term was used “prematurely,” Dr. Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at Scripps Research and founder and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, wrote in a Sunday blog post on the studies.

Now, for BA.5, the term might be more appropriate, even though the subvariant isn’t a true hybrid.

“The ability to infect cells for BA.5 is more akin to Delta than the previous Omicron family of variants,” Topol wrote.

The Omicron subvariant BA.5 is the worst version of the virus that we’ve seen,” Topol recently wrote. “It takes immune escape, already extensive, to the next level, and, as a function of that, enhanced transmissibility,” well beyond what has been seen before.

The jury is still out on whether current vaccines hold up against BA.5. But given that vaccines were 15% less effective against Omicron than they were against the Delta variant, even with a booster, “it would not be at all surprising to me to see further decline of protection against hospitalizations and deaths,” Topol wrote.