Page 485 of 535 [ 8549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 482, 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488 ... 535  Next

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 9:11 pm

Pepe wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
A friend of a few acquaintances of mine died of covid today. Whether or not she was vaxxed; a 21 year old died of covid. What the hell?

Did they have co-morbidities?
have no idea

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 7:27 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Pepe wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
A friend of a few acquaintances of mine died of covid today. Whether or not she was vaxxed; a 21 year old died of covid. What the hell?

have no idea

With a user name like that I'm guessing you are from Chicago. 8)

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2021, 10:17 am

Axeman wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
Pepe wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:

have no idea

With a user name like that I'm guessing you are from Chicago. 8)
haha, no. Iowa born and raised, still living there now and and maybe forever but I am a fan of those 3 teams.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 6:51 pm

'Vigilante treatments': Anti-vaccine groups push people to leave ICUs
As the anti-vaccine movement escalates its rhetoric, doctors warn that they're dealing with the fallout: "They’re starting to target people, the messengers — nurses and doctors."

Ugh...I mean, I guess I'm not surprised.
There's a lot going on in this one, so I'd recommend actually reading/skimming it rather than just looking at the headline.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 8:54 pm

There’s going to be plenty of people dying from covid-ignorance and wormy horses.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 8:56 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
As the anti-vaccine movement escalates its rhetoric, doctors warn that they're dealing with the fallout: "They’re starting to target people, the messengers — nurses and doctors."

There's a lot going on in this one, so I'd recommend actually reading/skimming it rather than just looking at the headline.
I have mixed feelings on this.

Obviously, the antivaxxers should not be targeting the medical profession...whom they've already created horrendous work conditions for by flooding the medical system with so many unnecessary COVID patients.

On the other hand, if the antivaxxers stay out of the hospitals and stay away from doctors that should free up scarce medical care resources for other folk.

And on the...um...other hand: <link>.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 7:09 pm

Double Retired wrote:
On the other hand, if the antivaxxers stay out of the hospitals and stay away from doctors that should free up scarce medical care resources for other folk.

Yeah, it kind of feels bad to think that way, but... :?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 1:08 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Groan.

Yes. They might free up medical care resources:

----Insider: "A video shows a man of 75, struggling to breathe due to COVID-19, was coaxed to leave hospital by an anti-vaxxer. He died days later, say reports"

But I forgot about the resources after hospitalization that they might overflow:

----WMFE: "Hospitals Rely on Portable Morgue Units to Relieve Local Crematoriums As Central Florida COVID Deaths Surge"

----ABC News: "COVID-19 deaths straining some Florida hospital morgues"

----The Sun: "Covid killing one person every EIGHT MINUTES in LA as 2,700 bodies are stacked up in morgues"

beady
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 7:49 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

Unfortunately, my daughter has experienced this multiple times in Oregon from doctors and nurses who shame people seeking testing and intentionally perform tests improperly. And that has been happening for over a year in her experience.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 8:04 am

Should hospitals refuse to treat any adult suffering from covid who refused to be vaccinated?

(excluding those who cannot be vaccinated)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 9:00 am

Multiple scans reveal organ damage from long Covid-19

Quote:
UK researchers have been examining MRI scans to identify how the virus does long term damage to our internal organs, not just the lungs as suspected, but the heart and other organs as well.

The study, called Coverscan, has been carried out by Perspectum a medical innovations company based in Oxford who examined 550 patients with no pre existing conditions before their Covid-19 infection.

Compared to a group of 100 healthy individuals, research found 70 percent of the patients had an impairment to at least one organ.

A third had damage to at least two organs, and heart damage was found in seventeen percent of the group.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 8:37 pm

beady wrote:
Unfortunately, my daughter has experienced this multiple times in Oregon from doctors and nurses who shame people seeking testing and intentionally perform tests improperly. And that has been happening for over a year in her experience.

I've noticed a lot of people who work in different fields have been doing a pretty terrible job at their...jobs...since this pandemic started. Even people in high-paying positions.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
Compared to a group of 100 healthy individuals, research found 70 percent of the patients had an impairment to at least one organ.

Yeah, that's pretty close to the numbers that the initial studies in Italy came up with (75% IIRC).
I've read in a recent article, that the oft-quoted studies that were reporting tiny numbers like "30%" were only looking at a small handful of symptoms.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 8:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Multiple scans reveal organ damage from long Covid-19
Quote:
UK researchers have been examining MRI scans to identify how the virus does long term damage to our internal organs, not just the lungs as suspected, but the heart and other organs as well.

The study, called Coverscan, has been carried out by Perspectum a medical innovations company based in Oxford who examined 550 patients with no pre existing conditions before their Covid-19 infection.

A third had damage to at least two organs, and heart damage was found in seventeen percent of the group.

Long Covid is a bigger problem than we thought
Quote:
A large study has revealed that one in three Covid-19 survivors have suffered symptoms three to six months after getting infected, with breathing problems, abdominal symptoms such as abdominal pain, change of bowel habit and diarrhoea, fatigue, pain, anxiety and depression among the most common issues reported.
Researchers at the University of Oxford, the National Institute for Health Research and the Oxford Health Biomedical Research Centre studied symptoms in more than 270,000 people recovering from Covid-19 and found that the nine features of long Covid were detected by clinicians more frequently in those who had been hospitalized, and slightly more often in women

The study did not explain what causes long Covid symptoms, how severe they are or how long they will last, but it did show that people recovering from Covid were more likely to suffer long-term symptoms than those who had the flu.

Dr. Amitava Banerjee, a professor of clinical data science at University College London who was not involved in the study, said this finding is "yet another arrow in the quiver against bogus 'this is just like flu' claims."

Older people and men were more likely to have breathing difficulties and cognitive problems, whereas young people and women reported more headaches, abdominal symptoms, anxiety and depression.
The authors stressed that although the number of such incidents was higher among the elderly and those with more severe initial illness, people who had suffered a mild disease, children and young adults also experienced long Covid.
The accompanying data showed that as many as 46% of children and young adults between the ages of 10 and 22 had experienced at least one symptom in the six months after recovering.

bolding=mine
IMO this is why mitigation needs to be stricter then the case, hospitalization, and death numbers would seem to warrant. We call it long covid but we have no idea if the effects are permanent. We are talking about something that long term or permanently is significantly impairing a lot of peoples lives.

Speculation:
The prevalence of Long Covid is circumstantial evidence that a “gain of function” version of the coronavirus is the cause of the pandemic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 8:46 am

New York hospitals fire, suspend staff who refuse COVID vaccine

Quote:
New York hospitals on Monday began firing or suspending healthcare workers for defying a state order to get the COVID-19 vaccine, and resulting staff shortages prompted some hospitals to postpone elective surgeries or curtail services.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio told a news conference the city's hospitals were not yet seeing a major impact from the mandate, adding he worried about other areas of the state where vaccination rates are lower.

Catholic Health said it was forced to postpone "a small number" of elective surgeries.

Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo suspended elective inpatient surgeries and had stopped accepting intensive-care patients from other hospitals as it prepares to fire hundreds of unvaccinated employees, a spokesman Peter Cutler said.

Of the 43,000 employees at the New York City's 11 public hospitals, about 5,000 were not vaccinated, Dr. Mitchell Katz, head of NYC Health + Hospitals, said at the news conference with de Blasio.

Katz said 95% of nurses were vaccinated and all the group's facilities were "open and fully functional" on Monday.

On Saturday, New York Governor Kathy Hochul said she was considering employing the National Guard and out-of-state medical workers to fill staffing shortages, with 16% of the state's 450,000 hospital staff not fully vaccinated.

Healthcare workers who are fired for refusing to get vaccinated will not be eligible for unemployment insurance unless they are able to provide a valid doctor-approved request for medical accommodation,

Bolding=mine

U.S. appeals court rules New York City can order teachers, staff to get COVID vaccine

North Carolina hospitals group has sacked employees who refused vaccines
Quote:
A North Carolina hospital system has terminated about 175 employees in the latest in a slew of healthcare terminations due to Covid vaccine mandates, reports the Washington Post.

The mass firing is one in a series of vaccine mandate terminations in the healthcare field. Previously, more than 150 healthcare workers employed at Houston Methodist Hospital were either fired or resigned after a hospital-wide vaccine mandate, one of the first vaccination requirements in a healthcare setting.

Originally, approximately 375 unvaccinated employees from Novant Health, spanning 15 hospitals and 800 clinics, were suspended for not getting vaccinated and given five days to comply.

About 200 of the suspended employees received the first dose of the coronavirus vaccine by Friday, tweeted Novant Health spokesperson Megan Rivers, meaning 99% of Novant Health’s approximately 35,000 employees followed the vaccine mandate. The rest of the workers were dismissed, though an exact number has not been confirmed.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 10:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I hate articles like this because they're just recycling news from over a year ago.
News which contains data that has since become largely outdated.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Speculation:
The prevalence of Long Covid is circumstantial evidence that a “gain of function” version of the coronavirus is the cause of the pandemic.

How so?
There are plenty of other viruses that cause similar long-lasting damage: EBV, HIV, ebola, Sars, etc.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 3:15 am

Long Covid is a bigger problem than we thought

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I hate articles like this because they're just recycling news from over a year ago.
News which contains data that has since become largely outdated.

The study referenced in the CNN article is two days old.

Speculation:

SabbraCadabra wrote:
How so?
There are plenty of other viruses that cause similar long-lasting damage: EBV, HIV, ebola, Sars, etc.

So does the flu. Most of the others are not Coronaviruses and the damage is not as prevalent nor as body-wide as with COVID.