Page 436 of 447 [ 7137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 433, 434, 435, 436, 437, 438, 439 ... 447  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 6:11 pm

Dr. Fauci on COVID surge, Trump's recovery, and a "very different" Thanksgiving

Quote:
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading infectious disease expert, told "CBS Evening News" anchor and managing editor Norah O'Donnell that the United States needs to redouble its efforts to contain the coronavirus as we enter the fall and winter months.

"What we really have to do is double down" on preventive measures like social distancing and wearing masks, Fauci said in the interview Wednesday. He noted that coronavirus cases are surging in 37 states, a concerning rise affecting over three-quarters of the country.

"That is not a good sign as you're entering into the cooler weather," Fauci warned.

The surge could be made worse as families across the country travel and gather for the holiday season. Fauci said some beloved traditions, like big Thanksgiving gatherings, may need to be avoided this year to keep people safe.

Asked what his advice would be to Americans making plans for the November holiday, Fauci said they should evaluate the status of cases across the country.

"Given the fluid and dynamic nature of what's going on right now in the spread and the uptick of infections, I think people should be very careful and prudent about social gatherings, particularly when members of the family might be at a risk because of their age or their underlying condition," he said, adding, "You may have to bite the bullet and sacrifice that social gathering, unless you're pretty certain that the people that you're dealing with are not infected."

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 6:29 pm

Coronavirus Research Being Buried

Some of the research on the coronavirus is being censured by the media because it doesn't agree with their narrative.

Scientific researchers conclude that wearing face masks does little or nothing to prevent the spread of coronavirus are being marginalized by their colleagues and the mainstream media. "So, what happened is they looked at 160 people who had gotten the virus and compared them to essentially a control group of 160 people who hadn't gotten the virus," he said. "Essentially, the mask-wearing was exactly the same in both [groups]. That suggests that masks provided no benefit."
In a case-controlled study, 85% percent of respondents who tested positive for coronavirus reported having "always" or "often" wore a cloth face covering or mask, 14 days before the onset of the illness.

Source: Community and Close Contact Exposures Associated with COVID-19 Among Symptomatic Adults ≥18 Years in 11 Outpatient Health Care Facilities — United States, July 2020

I guess I don't understand why this is so controversial. Wearing cloth mask were never intended to protect the wearer from getting the infection. It was always about protecting the "other guy". Cloth face mask cannot filter out the microscopic viral particles passing through the air. Only N95 mask or better can do that.

Former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson claimed another hot topic area is herd immunity. A female scientist in the United Kingdom who was unable to publish her study in an academic journal after it showed herd immunity to the virus could be reached with a much lower infection rate than many have claimed. "I don't understand what has happened to scientific debate, not just in this country, but around the world, where if you have an opinion -- a well-backed, well-researched opinion that's outside the consensus -- you can't get it published in a major journal,"

Source: Media doesn't want to 'cover anything that says masks may not be God's gift to all of us'

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 10:12 pm

Ok, so I read the article linked, and well

"To help slow the spread of SARS-CoV-2, precautions should be implemented to stay home once exposed to someone with COVID-19,** in addition to adhering to recommendations to wash hands often, wear masks, and social distance." Quote from paper.
In particular the conclusion of the paper was that

" Implementing safe practices to reduce exposures to SARS-CoV-2 during on-site eating and drinking should be considered to protect customers, employees, and communities." Quote from paper.

So, it is clear that masks alone are not enough, especially when people are eating since, oh, you can't eat with a mask on. I am very confused as to who is saying that mask-wearing is pointless, because that is not the conclusion of the paper, nor does it seem to be the focus of the paper.

He seems to be nitpicking a very very small detail of the paper and saying "Hey, 160 people who tested positive, said that they did or did not wear a mask as often as 160 people who did not test positive." The sample size is nowhere near large enough for that point to be made. Also a much more rigorous study would need to done to measure the effectiveness of mask-wearing using much larger data sets.

That's not debate, that's nitpicking a detail and trying to say it's significant, when no the detail wasn't significant enough to be even noted in the discussion section of the paper. In fact, the study concludes that those that tested positive were twice as likely to go dining out, where MASKS cannot be WORN WHILE EATING, so conclusion is that MORE SAFETY MEASURES NEED TO BE PUT IN PLACE SINCE MASKS CAN'T BE WORN WHILE EATING.

So the conclusion of the paper cited is the exact opposite of whatever the hell the guy is saying about the effectiveness of masks. So I'd say he's not being suppressed, he's just full of s**t.

You can't debate BS

Edit: I will say this about cloth masks, they have limited effectiveness, and if you are a vulnerable population you should wear an N95 mask if possible. But even limited effectiveness is much better than zero effectiveness, which is what you get with no mask.

Although the cloth mask is not very effective at filtering out particles, it does reduce the effective transmission range if you are sick and coughing and sneezing. Now, this isn't true if you, like many people I've seen, take off the mask to cough and sneeze, which completely defeats the purpose of the mask, congrats you're a mask wearer, but hey you really aren't using it effectively.

Now I know the argument, I feel completely healthy, I don't need to wear a mask, I won't infect other people. Well that argument went to crap when we found out asymptomatic people can transfer the virus, so guess what everyone gets a mask.

The promotion of the cloth mask is so that people who don't know that they have Covid, limit the number of people that they infect because they have a cloth mask on. And since, we aren't able to give everybody a test, every day, it's much safer to have everyone wear a mask.

Essentially, the argument I hear is that I don't want to wear a cloth mask, after all, it doesn't protect me, it only protects other people, and I don't give two shits about other people.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 11:03 pm

Outbreak of Severe COVID-19 in New York Hasidic Jewish Community

Quote:
In a notice published by the organization U’Chai Bahem, which was established especially to provide real-time updates on the pandemic to the residents of Kiryas Joel, the data paints a grim picture.

A total of 46 residents have been hospitalized since the beginning of the second wave, 16 of whom have recovered and returned home. There are 29 residents hospitalized as of Tuesday, 9 of whom are critically ill. There are 41 residents receiving hospital care at home with portable oxygen machines. Two residents were taken to the hospital in the past 24 hours.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Confused_Sloth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm

Kudos to both ASPartOfMe and jimmy m. I get more relevant news about the Coronavirus from this thread then I do from my newsfeeds on Bing and my nightly news shows.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 11:23 pm

jimmy m wrote:
In a case-controlled study, 85% percent of respondents who tested positive for coronavirus reported having "always" or "often" wore a cloth face covering or mask, 14 days before the onset of the illness.

They also said they visited restaurants and bars. Did you actually read this study? Please don't cherry pick other people's work to support your agenda.

And lets just say Fox "News" is not a reliable source.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 9:13 am

Jiheisho wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
They also said they visited restaurants and bars. Did you actually read this study? Please don't cherry pick other people's work to support your agenda.

And what specifically is my agenda?

As I wrote: "I guess I don't understand why this is so controversial. Wearing cloth mask were never intended to protect the wearer from getting the infection. It was always about protecting the "other guy". Cloth face mask cannot filter out the microscopic viral particles passing through the air. Only N95 mask or better can do that."

As I see it several members in society are flatly refusing to wear face mask. The face mask in general do not protect them from getting the infection. This study supports that viewpoint. But what they fail to understand is that wearing cloth face mask will prevent them from passing on the virus in large droplets should they be infected and cough. And it will also minimize their ability to spread the virus to themselves should their hands become contaminated with the virus. Because a mask, any mask, even a Holloween mask, will put a barrier between your face and your hands.

So if I have an agenda it is to make sure that everyone knows that N95 face mask or better can provide a very good degree of protection against the coronavirus, especially in aerosol form. I eat out at restaurant quite often. I do not wear a mask when I eat. I have not gotten the virus. But I take precautions. First I never eat inside the restaurant. The threat is primarily an indoor threat. I only go to restaurants with outdoor seating and I eat outside where the wind can diffuse the viral particles and the sunlight can kill them. And whenever I am inside the restaurant, such as to use the restroom, I wear an N95. I have been to movie theaters since they opened up. I have seen 8 movies so far. But I always wear an N95. Both during the lockdown and afterwards, I have been to over four hundred stores (grocery stores, building supply stores, clothing stores, electronics stores, etc.). I like shopping. But I always wear an N95. I began wearing my N95 a month before it became mandatory to wear face mask. In those days people would stare at you if you wore a mask. And I will continue to wear an N95 until I feel the threat is minimal. So when the government says you do not have to wear masks any longer, I will probably be the odd man out.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2020, 8:36 am

The Great Barrington Declaration

Lockdowns are having negative unintended consequences, such as delaying cancer detection and treatments and increasing the number of people with depression or other mental illness. Divorce has increased. Some have argued that, in terms of saving lives, the costs of the lockdown outweighed the benefits. A group of successful and respected infectious disease experts says yes, and they have written a statement that they have called the Great Barrington Declaration.

The authors refer to their approach as "Focused Protection," the gist of which is "to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk." Not that this really matters (because public health policy shouldn't be a popularity contest), but more than 10,000 scientists and medical practitioners have signed it.

Back in May, we reported on a Swedish epidemiologist who believed that lockdowns did nothing other than delay the inevitable; i.e., they simply push new infections down the timeline. Therefore, while lockdowns can be useful to avoid overwhelming hospital bed capacity, they may not lower the overall number of cases. In other words, we're destroying the economy while essentially accomplishing nothing.

Source: Is Great Barrington Declaration A Solution To Endless COVID Lockdowns?

-------------------------

So rather than lockdown the entire society, it is more productive to protect the vulnerable (the elderly and those with serious comorbidities).

So how do you protect the vulnerable?

* Well, first acknowledge that the coronavirus threat is primarily airborne and a major component of the airborne threat is aerosol transmission.

* Provide extra protection to the vulnerable by allowing them to live and work in a healthy indoor environment. This has 3 components:
1. Scrub the air with UVC light to kill the indoor viruses. Units such as the REME-HALO can be installed in the HVAC ductwork that will purify the air within a whole house. Commercial units can purify business/offices. Or a stand-alone unit such as the OION Technologies B-1000 Air Purifier can cleans a room.
2. Maintain the indoor humidity during the winter months to above 40% RH.
3. Ensure adequate ventilation of the house/business during the winter.

* Provide the vulnerable with access to N95 face mask. These mask will protect them when they are up and about.

* Encourage the vulnerable to take extra Vitamin D supplements and Zinc during the winter months.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2020, 6:45 pm

Right now the seeming constant media messaging is forget any in person holiday season celebrations that do not involve anybody not living in your residence.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2020, 7:03 pm

White House Opposes Expanded Virus Testing, Complicating Stimulus Talks

Quote:
In late September, a Nobel Prize-winning economist emailed Dr. Scott W. Atlas, a White House coronavirus adviser, in what he saw as a last-ditch effort to persuade the Trump administration to embrace a sharp increase in testing and isolating infected patients. The plan, meant to appeal to a president who has complained that positive tests make his administration look bad, would not “generate any new confirmed cases.”

Dr. Atlas, a radiologist, told the economist, Paul Romer of New York University, that there was no need to do the sort of testing he was proposing.

“That’s not appropriate health care policy,” Dr. Atlas wrote.

Dr. Atlas went on to mention a theory that the virus can be arrested once a small percentage of the United States population contracts it. He said there was a “likelihood that only 25 or 20 percent of people need the infection,” an apparent reference to a threshold for so-called herd immunity that epidemiologists have widely disputed.

The call for more widespread testing and isolation, Dr. Atlas wrote, “is grossly misguided.”

In an interview on Thursday, Dr. Atlas, who is not involved in the stimulus talks, said that the United States had a “massive” testing program over all, but that it should be used strategically to protect vulnerable populations, like nursing home residents — not young, healthy individuals who he said were at low risk of contracting the disease. He said that large-scale government test and isolate programs infringed on civil liberties, and that new research had persuaded him that herd immunity might be achieved once 20 or 40 percent of Americans are infected.

“The overwhelming majority of people who get this infection are not at high risk,” Dr. Atlas said in the interview. “And when you start seeking out and testing asymptomatic people, you are destroying the workforce.”

Belgium imposes Covid curfew, closes bars and restaurants
Quote:

Faced with a resurgence of coronavirus cases, the Belgian government on Friday announced new restrictions to try to hold the disease in check, including a night-time curfew and the closure of cafes, bars and restaurants for a month.

The measures are set to enter force from Monday. The curfew will be enforced from midnight until 5:00 a.m. Alcohol sales will be banned after 8:00 p.m. The number of people that Belgians should see socially outside family members will be reduced from three to a maximum of just one — all month.

People have been ordered to work from home wherever possible.

Belgium, which has a population of around 11.5 million, is one of the European countries hardest hit by the disease. Almost 6,000 new cases were recorded each day on average over the last week. In all, about 192,000 people have contracted the disease and 10,327 have died.

“The number of confirmed cases is rising, every day, and not just by a few percentage points,” Prime Minister Alexander De Croo told reporters in Brussels as he unveiled the new restrictions. “We can see that our hospitals and medical services are under tremendous pressure.”

The impact of the closures will be reviewed in two weeks.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 8:42 am

Iran announced Saturday that its death toll from the coronavirus has passed the milestone of 30,000 killed, in what has been the Mideast region's worst outbreak. On Wednesday, Iranian officials announced a travel ban to and from five major cities, including the capital of Tehran and the holy city of Mashhad, that they said aimed to contain the virus' spread. The coronavirus has also spread to some of the highest levels of Iran's government, which includes many older men. Among those recently infected is the head of the country's atomic energy organization, while Iran's vice president in charge of budget and planning tested positive on Sunday.

Meanwhile on Saturday, the United Arab Emirates has announced its highest single-day total of new cases of the coronavirus amid a spike in the Gulf nation that is home to Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The UAE is engaged in an aggressive testing campaign, with over 11 million tests conducted in a country home to over 9 million people.

Source: Iran announces its virus death toll passes 30,000 killed

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 1:00 pm

What has the horrible Chinese government done to this world and society? :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Rhetorical question)

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

Andoras
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2020, 2:47 pm

I heared earlier how fast the virus can spreading in insitudes like social home but it's a very different thing to experiencing it in the reality.

Right now I feel as relived as someone who luckily and healthily escaped from a sinking ship :D as the social home for menthally and phisically people where I work became a virus hotspot. :cry:

I got two negative PCR test results and now I'm on a leave from my workplace util the 26th october.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 1:49 am

Scientists worry as more Americans say they’ll refuse COVID-19 vaccine

Quote:
A Pew Research poll from late September showed that about half of US adults (51 percent) wouldn’t get a COVID-19 vaccine if it was available today — a big drop from the 72 percent who said they’d get one back in May.

Complicating things even more: This past week, two major drug manufacturers halted their vaccine trials because of safety concerns.

Even the rich and powerful are expressing doubt. Elon Musk said in a podcast interview in late September that he won’t be getting a vaccine because he’s “not at risk for COVID, nor are my kids.”

Scott Ratzan, a physician and medical misinformation expert at the City University of New York and Columbia University, says anti-COVID vaccine sentiment is the result of “a massive assault on trust in government, in science and in public-health authorities.”

The misinformation has mostly been spread online, thanks to social media and the controversial documentary “Plandemic,” in which discredited virologist Judy Mikovits claims a hypothetical COVID vaccine would “kill millions.”

“Throw in QAnon and people’s increasing impatience with the effect of the disease on their lives and livelihoods, and you have fertile ground to sow anti-science propaganda,” says Ratzan. “It’s been like manna from heaven for hardcore anti-vaxxers.”

The usual anti-vax tropes — religious objections, concerns that vaccines cause autism — aren’t behind most COVID-19 vaccine concerns. According to an August survey from STAT and the Harris Poll, 78 percent of Americans are worried that a COVID-19 vaccine is being influenced more by politics than science.

It’s a largely bipartisan opinion: 72 percent of Republicans and 82 percent of Democrats don’t trust a vaccine pushed by politicians, regardless of their party affiliation.

Politicians giving public-health advice during the COVID-19 crisis has “led to public confusion both about what is truth and what is fiction,” says Nancy Kass, a professor of Bioethics and Public Health at Johns Hopkins. “It’s turned COVID into a political disease rather than a public-health problem.”

The Trump administration’s “Operation Warp Speed,” a $10 billion initiative that the president has compared to the Manhattan Project, calls for a streamlined process to develop a coronavirus vaccine, with the end goal of distributing 300 million doses by January 2021.

It’s an ambitious project that has alarmed instead of reassured many Americans.

“COVID is God’s gift to the vaccine-choice movement,” she says. “It’s woken up so many people and put us in a national spotlight. People are finally questioning and having doubt about vaccines.”

But it wasn’t until the COVID-19 pandemic, and rising questions about when a vaccine would become available —and if it would be compulsory — that Palma started to hear from people not typically drawn to the anti-vax movement.

Fears over a fast-tracked inoculation aren’t entirely without historical precedent. In 1976, a new strain of H1N1 virus suspected of being genetically similar to the “Spanish flu” of 1918 sickened hundreds of soldiers at Fort Dix, NJ. Then-President Gerald Ford, looking for good press in an election year, launched an ambitious campaign to, in his words, vaccinate “every man, woman, and child in the United States.”

Though the vaccine was still in early clinical trials, Congress passed a bill authorizing the rushed early rollout, which came with the slogan “Roll Up Your Sleeve, America.” But when 35 elderly people died after getting vaccinated, and hundreds developed a rare neurological disorder, vaccination numbers plummeted and the effort was dubbed a “fiasco” by some journalists.

declining number of people willing to get a COVID vaccine is a real concern. According to Johns Hopkins University, between 70 percent and 90 percent of Americans would need to have coronavirus antibodies to reach herd immunity. A vaccine won’t do much good “unless we have a significant number of the population immunized,” says Ratzan.

The urgency has led some researchers to make recommendations that only add fuel to the anti-vax fire. On Oct. 1, the New England Journal of Medicine published a paper suggesting that those in the public unwilling to take a COVID vaccine voluntarily “should incur a penalty” — and a “relatively substantial” one, including “employment suspension or stay-at-home orders.”

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 1:03 pm

More Ways to KILL the Coronavirus

A Research Paper was published in the Journal of Medical Virology on 17 September that provided additional strategies for stopping the coronavirus. Lowering the transmission and spread of human coronavirus It is well worth the read.

Researchers tested various oral and nasopharyngeal rinses — which included a 1% solution of baby shampoo, a neti pot, peroxide sore-mouth cleansers, and mouthwashes — to determine how well they inactivated human coronaviruses.

The baby shampoo solution, “which is often used by head and neck doctors to rinse the sinuses,” the researchers noted in a news release regarding the findings, was particularly effective; the solution inactivated “greater than 99.9% of human coronavirus after a two-minute contact time,” they said. The mouthwash and oral rinses were also efficacious, they found: "Many inactivated greater than 99.9% of virus after only 30 seconds of contact time and some inactivated 99.99% of the virus after 30 seconds.”

Lead study author Craig Meyers, a distinguished professor of microbiology and immunology and obstetrics and gynecology, said the results show that the amount of virus (viral load) in an infected person’s mouth could be reduced by using these common over-the-counter products, ultimately helping to reduce the spread of the novel virus.

Source: Human coronaviruses ‘inactivated’ by mouthwash, oral rinses

In this long thread, we discussed many strategies that could be used to fight the coronavirus. Some suggested using a neti pot. Now you have research that backs up this strategy.

This is a list of ingredients that the researcher used in the neti pot that were tested:
The nasal rinses tested in the study were Neti Pot (CVS Health) and Johnson's Baby Shampoo (Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc). The Neti Pot solution was made according to the manufacturer's instructions. Johnson's Baby Shampoo was diluted to 1% in PBS (116 mMol NaCl, 12 mMol Na2HPO4, 1.5 mMol KH2PO4 [pH 7.4]) for testing.

This is a list of the mouthwash solutions that were tested:
The mouthwash gargling products tested in the study were Peroxide Sore Mouth Cleanser (CVS Health), H2O2 solution diluted to 1.5% in PBS (Cumberland‐Swan, Inc), Orajel Antiseptic Rinse (Church & Dwight Co, Inc), Betadine 5% (Alcon Laboratories, Inc), Crest Pro‐Health (Proctor & Gamble), Listerine Antiseptic (Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc), Listerine Ultra (Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc), Equate (Wal‐Mart), and Antiseptic Mouthwash (CVS Health).

-----------------------------------
Some of the strategies I discussed earlier in this thread was the use of a product called OCuSOFT Lid Scrub to clean the lids of the eyes to remove coronavirus from the eyes. The lid scrub is essentially a thin tissue immersed in baby shampoo. So this research supports that strategy.

Another strategy is to drink a hot toddy after viral exposure to reduce the viral load in the throat and lungs. During the Spanish Flu epidemic, many people used whiskey to successfully fight off the pandemic. More recently hot toddy's came into vogue. As part of my strategy, when I am up and about in the wintertime, I take a type of hot toddy to ward off the disease when I return home. It doesn't take much, just and ounce or two of a honey liqueur (such as Drambuie, Irish Mists, or Krupnik). I pour a small amount in a cup, add a spoon of honey and then microwave for a couple seconds to heat it up. Then slowly drink it.

One of the prime ingredients in many mouthwashes is alcohol. The Listerine mouthwash used in this study was 21.6% alcohol. So now there is some research that supports this strategy.

Drambuie is a Scotch honey whisky (40% by volume - 80 proof). Krupnik is a Polish honey liqueur. Irish Mist is an Irish honey liqueur.

[Or you can gargle with hydrogen peroxide or Listerine mouth wash. I have used both of these methods in the past to ward off the flu. I just find hot toddy's to be a little more enjoyable and efficient.]

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:15 pm

Daily coronavirus case numbers in the US are at levels not seen since the summer, and 14 states recently have set hospitalization records

Quote:
The country's seven-day average of new daily cases was above 58,300 as of Monday -- a level not seen since the first week of August, and climbing closer to the summer's peak of 67,200 on July 22.
Average daily new cases have soared 70% since September 12, when the country was at a two-month low of about 34,300.

"(With) the fact that we're only going to see more transmission occur with indoor air, people inside, this is going to be a rough fall," Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told CNN on Tuesday.

Case rates and hospitalizations are rising especially in the Midwest, Great Plains and parts of the West.

The virus's prevalence is bad enough that the director for the National Institutes of Health says his family won't gather for Thanksgiving this year.

The United States has seen nearly 300,000 excess deaths so far since late January -- about two-thirds of which were attributed to Covid-19, according to a report published Tuesday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The groups with the biggest jump in excess deaths, percentage-wise, have been adults ages 25 to 44, and Hispanic people, the report says.

As the pandemic gets worse, Americans need to look out for their mental health, Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, said.

He advised people to think about whom they are going to social distance with during the coming surge and having mental health resources ready.

Americans are experiencing "an epidemic of pathological grief, which is a downstream consequence of the pandemic," said Dr. Charles Marmar, chair of the department of psychiatry at the New York University Grossman School of Medicine.

For every death, there are nine people who are profoundly impacted, in terms of grief and risk for psychiatric complications. That's about 3 to 4 million Americans, given recent death rates, Marmar told JAMA editor-in-chief Dr. Howard Bauchner.

Marmar said that roughly one in 10 of those people will experience something called pathological grief, which is characterized by "persistent, unremitting painful experiences."

Roughly 30-40% of the population is burdened with stress, anxiety and depression, he said.