Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm

Hi. I'm a newbie.

So here's how I realized I have autism -- at age 54.

My wife loves to have conversations during meals. I find it maddening. She views eating as a way to socialize. I view it like going to the bathroom -- you sit down, do what you need to do, and leave. This and other disconnects have her thinking about divorce.

So when we talked to a therapist about it, the possibility was brought up that I have autism. And she's probably right.

I was the "odd" kid in elementary school, middle school, high school and college who always ate by himself -- and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it. Of course today, if a kid eats by himself/herself, the school psychologist gets involved. And in the '70s and '80s, the attitude was "He's shy, he'll grow out of it."

So am I the only one who really, REALLY prefers eating alone? How do people deal with times when they must eat and socialize?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 6:19 pm

i prefer eating alone.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 6:59 pm

I also prefer eating alone and don't view eating as a social thing. I actually get really self-conscious when I have to eat in front of anyone other than my immediate family, feeling like people are judging everything about how I eat, what I eat, how much I eat, what speed I eat, etc. I would always eat by myself in school too, and preferred it. In college, when I was eating in the dining hall, I'd bring a book to read so I'd look busy and no one would think I looked lonely (which I wasn't) and come sit with me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 9:06 pm

Once in a while I would prefer to eat with someone

But not just anyone

Precious lil "people" keep telling me that my foot is "healthy" (exotic bean salad) or "not healthy" (Butterfinger). Or "next time, spoon". (How I am eating).

What I eat is specific. Plenty of lil dipshits find it wierd what I eat

Some b***h had the nerve to squawk "eew" when I wiped my mouth with my sleeve

:roll:

:evil: b***h please worry about your mouth, not mine :twisted:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 9:14 pm

Minuteman wrote:
Hi. I'm a newbie.

So here's how I realized I have autism -- at age 54.

My wife loves to have conversations during meals. I find it maddening. She views eating as a way to socialize. I view it like going to the bathroom -- you sit down, do what you need to do, and leave. This and other disconnects have her thinking about divorce.

So when we talked to a therapist about it, the possibility was brought up that I have autism. And she's probably right.

I was the "odd" kid in elementary school, middle school, high school and college who always ate by himself -- and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it. Of course today, if a kid eats by himself/herself, the school psychologist gets involved. And in the '70s and '80s, the attitude was "He's shy, he'll grow out of it."

So am I the only one who really, REALLY prefers eating alone? How do people deal with times when they must eat and socialize?

Welcome. I eat my breakfast alone before anyone else is awake and I enjoy it very much.

You don't know if you have autism. It's better if you'd say you think you might have autism or you're a self-diagnosed autistic. It's perfectly valid for you to think or suspect that you have autism, but just refrain from saying you do unless you've been diagnosed as such.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 2:48 am

I remember this coming up as a topic on another autism forum once, and it’s quite a common issue. Many on the spectrum like to eat and run, and it can be a learned art almost, to take your time, share a conversation with your partner, and connect. It can be an opportunity to chat about plans together, maybe the next movie you’d like to see together, or trips/plans for adventures together etc. It can really make a huge difference in a relationship, being able to “connect over dinner” and if that’s missing, it can feel like something’s just not right. You’re definitely not alone, though. I think that if you value and love one another, it’s worth the effort to “try” to give each other what you need to feel fulfilled in the relationship. Think back to the early days of your relationship. How did you form that initial bond? Was it over dating with meals together, picnics etc? Maybe it wasn’t ... but you had to have interacted somehow over common interests maybe?

Think of it as a chance to ask each other about your day, a chance to show each other that you enjoy being together ... Alot of couples on the spectrum actually spend very little time together overall in the day, but you need to connect on some level, to keep the connection healthy and to show that you care. Time together should be precious.

I grew up in a large family that was very spectrum-friendly, and meal times were a lovely time to share what was going on in our lives, have some laughs, and make some future plans. There was almost always music in the background too, as we were a very musical family.

If it’s honestly excrutiatingly painful for you to eat together and share your lives in that way, then you need to be connecting in other ways, doing other things together to compensate for that. Sometimes, you’ve got to put the effort in, to reap the rewards in a relationship. Even if it doesn’t feel natural, at first. It’s never too late to try. If I were you, I’d be making it clear to your wife that you value your time with her, and that she means the world. Hope she, in turn does the same for you.

EstelleTenebrica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2020, 3:22 am

I didn't used to think about it at all. I'd go on a date or a business lunch and sometimes end up wearing about 5% of my food without noticing till after. Once I got married and had kids, I internalized a critical voice that told me how to behave proper and set a good example. It was then that I began to prefer eating alone.

"I am 39 years old, and I still wake up every morning really excited I don't have to go to school." - Sarah Silverman
"There are still a few animals left out in the yard, but it's getting harder..." Jim Morrison

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jan 2020, 8:51 am

I used to prefer eating by myself when I lived with my parents cuz they were very critical & nitpicky about the way I ate. I found eating when I was alone in the kitchen easier than dealing with getting into an argument with my parents that would lead to me having a meltdown & then me & my mom being very angry with each other for the rest of the day & me getting punished as a kid because of my behavior when I had the meltdown. I never really had a problem eating around anyone else thou & the issue with me eating around my parents got better in my 20s. I didn't have the issue eating in front of my parents when we were out because they didn't nitpick & weren't very critical of me due to them not wanting to cause a scene.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 8:59 am

I love eating, and prefer to do it on my own so I enjoy the food 10x more.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 6:37 pm

I hate eating with anyone who isn't immediate family. I always go to great lengths to avoid it and will at least sit as turned away from everyone else as I can, and preferably in a spot that is as secluded as possible, for several reasons.

I actually like eating with immediate family, but it should be said that for the most time we eat seated at 2 or 3 different places in the living room, depending on how many of us are eating together. When we eat dinner we usually watch a movie or a couple of episodes of a series while we eat, which is really enjoyable. It's social while not being social or in each other's faces. I didn't have any qualms with eating around a table with my family, but I prefer the way we usually do it.
Eating in itself is boring and before we started watching something together, I often read while I ate. Breakfast is often eaten while I listen to something on YouTube.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765