C.S. Lewis on Sexual Morality and Christian Marriage

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 8:49 pm

Time for some fire and brimstone you degenerates. I kid, but I have just stumbled upon these lovely "doodle" videos of C.S. Lewis' radio presentation (later a book) Mere Christianity, a must read for anyone seriously interested in Christianity.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 9:44 pm

The doodle drawings are hilarious! Why have I never seen these kind of presentations before--and of Lewis, too. What a writer...

I think C.S. Lewis had a rare gift for making sense out of the parallel vocabulary in which Christianity seems to operate. Thanks for posting these fun videos.

(But if you want fire & brimstone, turn on the shortwave radio and wait. Or just don't.)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 10:28 pm

My favorite bit of fire and brimstone is from the Puritan minister Jonathan Edwards' sermon "Sinners in the Hand of an Angry God."

Here's a portion of it:

Quote:
The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you were suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given, why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God’s hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell, since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 10:35 pm

Yesterday I was thinking of CS Lewis and I decided he was likely an uptight prude. :P

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 11:12 pm

Get your Screwtape on!

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2020, 12:48 am

:idea:

Twilightprincess wrote:
My favorite bit of fire and brimstone is from the Puritan minister Jonathan Edwards' sermon "Sinners in the Hand of an Angry God."

Here's a portion of it:

Quote:
The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you were suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given, why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God’s hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell, since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell.

Personally, I prefer Our Lady of Fatima, it was Her style of fire & brimstone preaching that me to revert to the Catholic Faith.

Thank you dear Blessed Mother!

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 12:49 am

Borromeo wrote:

(But if you want fire & brimstone, turn on the shortwave radio and wait. Or just don't.)

I thought WINB went off the air years ago, after their studio burnt down. I live, until Feb 1, 2020, approximately 2 miles from their old studios (which used to be a cinder block building next to the Gospel Barn (which, I think, also burnt down) on S Penn St Extended in Windsor Township, PA. Haven’t been down that way in years (and I grew up in Windsor Borough. WINB, and it’s sister stations, at the time, WGCB-AM-FM, was notorious for splattering their signal all over the lower part of the FM band. My next door neighbor was one of the chief engineers of those stations, and could never keep that transmitter under control, because the station owner and management were too f!cking cheap to spend money to maintain the stations equipment.

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2020, 12:55 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yesterday I was thinking of CS Lewis and I decided he was likely an uptight prude. :P

I’m not sure if you would consider me a a “prude,” but there is one thing I know (and dare I say, even love) about my Catholic Faith, it’s the Church’s teachings on sexual morality, I’ve never felt so free before. I’m planning on doing a Socratic dialogue-style debate on here on the Church’s sexual morality teachings, once I’ve finished my university work.

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 12:59 am

Greatshield17 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I’m not sure if you would consider me a a “prude,” but there is one thing I know (and dare I say, even love) about my Catholic Faith, it’s the Church’s teachings on sexual morality, I’ve never felt so free before. I’m planning on doing a Socratic dialogue-style debate on here on the Church’s sexual morality teachings, once I’ve finished my university work.

That would be great! I love a good dialogue!

Good luck with your work!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 8:12 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

Here's a portion of it:

Quote:

Yikes!

This is why I'm Lutheran.

I think I remember hearing this in English class in high school.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 8:30 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Here's a portion of it:

Quote:

Yikes!

This is why I'm Lutheran.

I think I remember hearing this in English class in high school.

It makes me laugh, but it wouldn't be a pleasant thing to actually believe.

Whenever I hear the phrase "fire and brimstone," this sermon comes to my mind. I initially read it in college.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 11:49 am

^ That passage reminds me of Lockwood's dream about Jabez Branderham in Wuthering Heights:

"... we were journeying to hear the famous Jabez Branderham preach, from the text - 'Seventy Times Seven;' and either Joseph, the preacher, or I had committed the 'First of the Seventy-First,' and were to be publicly exposed and excommunicated ... In my dream, Jabez had a full and attentive congregation; and he preached - good God! what a sermon; divided into FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY parts, each fully equal to an ordinary address from the pulpit, and each discussing a separate sin! Where he searched for them, I cannot tell. He had his private manner of interpreting the phrase, and it seemed necessary the brother should sin different sins on every occasion. They were of the most curious character: odd transgressions that I never imagined previously. Oh, how weary I grow. How I writhed, and yawned, and nodded, and revived! How I pinched and pricked myself, and rubbed my eyes, and stood up, and sat down again, and nudged Joseph to inform me if he would EVER have done. I was condemned to hear all out: finally, he reached the 'FIRST OF THE SEVENTY-FIRST.' At that crisis, a sudden inspiration descended on me; I was moved to rise and denounce Jabez Branderham as the sinner of the sin that no Christian need pardon.

'Sir,' I exclaimed, 'sitting here within these four walls, at one stretch, I have endured and forgiven the four hundred and ninety heads of your discourse. Seventy times seven times have I plucked up my hat and been about to depart - Seventy times seven times have you preposterously forced me to resume my seat. The four hundred and ninety-first is too much. Fellow-martyrs, have at him! Drag him down, and crush him to atoms, that the place which knows him may know him no more!'

'THOU ART THE MAN!' cried Jabez, after a solemn pause, leaning over his cushion. 'Seventy times seven times didst thou gapingly contort thy visage - seventy times seven did I take counsel with my soul - Lo, this is human weakness: this also may be absolved! The First of the Seventy-First is come. Brethren, execute upon him the judgment written. Such honour have all His saints!'

With that concluding word, the whole assembly, exalting their pilgrim's staves, rushed round me in a body; and I, having no weapon to raise in self-defence, commenced grappling with Joseph, my nearest and most ferocious assailant, for his. In the confluence of the multitude, several clubs crossed; blows, aimed at me, fell on other sconces. Presently the whole chapel resounded with rappings and counter rappings: every man's hand was against his neighbour; and Branderham, unwilling to remain idle, poured forth his zeal in a shower of loud taps on the boards of the pulpit, which responded so smartly that, at last, to my unspeakable relief, they woke me."

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 1:33 pm

Clive Staples was a great writer and important theologian of his time.There is a rumor in the rumor mill that Lewis was secretly into S&M in particular being whiped on the butt,but that is just a rumor.

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2020, 2:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

That would be great! I love a good dialogue!

Good luck with your work!

Thanks, I probably won’t be ready until the summer months though.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jan 2020, 6:26 am

Borromeo wrote:
The doodle drawings are hilarious! Why have I never seen these kind of presentations before--and of Lewis, too. What a writer...

I think C.S. Lewis had a rare gift for making sense out of the parallel vocabulary in which Christianity seems to operate. Thanks for posting these fun videos.

I’d be very surprised if you’ve never heard of CS Lewis before. He’s best known for writing the Chronicles of Narnia, a very famous children’s book series which has been adapted for film at least twice. There’s some pretty good theology in there in places - Tash, for instance - but some other bits are pretty yikes, like condemning a woman to hell for wearing lipstick. All in all, he’s certainly noteworthy but his ideology was vile.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2020, 9:13 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Borromeo wrote:

I’d be very surprised if you’ve never heard of CS Lewis before. He’s best known for writing the Chronicles of Narnia, a very famous children’s book series which has been adapted for film at least twice. There’s some pretty good theology in there in places - Tash, for instance - but some other bits are pretty yikes, like condemning a woman to hell for wearing lipstick. All in all, he’s certainly noteworthy but his ideology was vile.

No, I haven't heard of these videos before. I'm actually a major C.S. Lewis fan. _Narnia_ kind of sucks, I admit, but not for your reasons. I just don't care for allegory and when I was a very small boy I didn't like fantasy much at all. I am not aware of the lipstick crisis. However, once you get away from that:

_The Four Loves_ is about the best explanation on love throughout human history.
_The Problem of Pain_ makes a lot more sense than logging onto Wrong Planet & b!+<#ing,
_Mere Christianity_ is pretty neat. (I do not believe in Protestantism, as I am Catholic)
His Autobiography is fun. I have read it a bunch but forgot the title.
_The Screwtape Letters_ is a great demonic fantasy.
_The Great Divorce_ is hilarious--a comic tour of the afterlife

C.S. Lewis is pretty cool. I was saying I'd never seen presentations like this of Lewis' work...usually Lewis is only seen on paper.

My favorite is still G.K. Chesterton & his wife Frances but they are seen as a little too old-fashioned.