Hi, I'm new kid (spills books and pencils all over the floor

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

EstelleTenebrica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2020, 10:54 pm

9 years ago, when I was diagnosed with ADHD, I vaguely remember looking up Aspergers, or asking my doc about it, or something. Anyway, somehow I got the idea that people with Aspergers would walk into a room where someone was watching tv, and stand between that person and the tv and start flipping channels. And that's not me. So instead I learned what I could about ADHD.
Now, I'm a bit surprised that it didn't occur to me that my incorrect notions about Aspergers might be as incorrect as my notions of ADHD had been. Last week I stumbled upon an article about masking, and following that thread, I found I was recognizing myself in the ASD descriptions quite a bit. I tried a couple of the online quizzes, and found I'm scoring in the range for Aspergers. I'm good at masking, but it makes me sick with fatigue and anxiety, and I'm burned out.
Learning about ADHD was helpful to me and my family, and I'm hoping to get the same results here. I will attempt to be a good and helpful community member in the process. I've been telling folks that I feel like I was born on the wrong planet since middle school (I'm 51 now) so finding a forum by that name is pretty exciting. Thanks for being here.

"I am 39 years old, and I still wake up every morning really excited I don't have to go to school." - Sarah Silverman
"There are still a few animals left out in the yard, but it's getting harder..." Jim Morrison

EstelleTenebrica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2020, 11:02 pm

I forgot to mention. I have found that traditional ideas about gender only add to the world's tendency to misunderstand me. I was surprised to find that the registration process required a person to choose a gender from such a short list. I did not find myself there.

"I am 39 years old, and I still wake up every morning really excited I don't have to go to school." - Sarah Silverman
"There are still a few animals left out in the yard, but it's getting harder..." Jim Morrison

enz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 11:58 pm

welcome to wrong planet :)

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 4:14 am

Hi and a very warm welcome to you, ET :)! Good to have you with us.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 11:00 am

Welcome to WP :). You will find links to ASD self assessment here: Set Of Scientific Tests Related To Autism Spectrum Disorders.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 11:53 am

Welcome. I am nearing 50 myself and recently diagnosed (for my own information). I recommend the book "A Very Late Diagnosis..." ASD. It's a quick read and relevant even for those without formal diagnosis.

I knocked over my tea cup during my assessment. Perfect.

There wasn't a gender "Other" option at least? Perhaps a note for the suggestion box. I happen to be cisgender (more or less) but notice these things too. My husband's native culture had five words for gender. Life's a Spectrum after all.

TTYL

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 12:20 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2020, 6:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)