Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Bollox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2020, 10:57 pm

Looks good

Set 40 years in the future, Avenue 5 follows the captain and crew of a luxury space cruise ship as they navigate disgruntled passengers and unexpected events after experiencing technical difficulties onboard.

Ryan Clark
PLAYED BY HUGH LAURIE

Guy Incognito
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2020, 11:14 am

They played my favorite Harry Nillson song in the trailer. I am also looking forward to it.

Bollox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2020, 1:54 am

Guy Incognito wrote:
They played my favorite Harry Nillson song in the trailer. I am also looking forward to it.

I think HUGH LAURIE is going to be brilliant. He was fantastic in House.
I like the idea of a fat squat Richard Branson character type (Virgin Galactic), played by Josh Gad.

CLEVELAND, Ohio — “House” star Hugh Laurie, whose British comedy series include “Blackadder” and “A Bit of Fry & Laurie,” is the clueless captain on the HBO sci-fi spoof “Avenue 5,” one of the top viewing choices for the week:

“Avenue 5” (10 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 19, HBO): “Veep” creator Armando Iannucci is behind this edgy, galactically goofy science-fiction satire set aboard a luxury tourist space vessel in the mid-21st century. The futuristic cruise ship’s maiden voyage around Saturn hits a snag, stranding crew and passengers in space for, well, maybe years. Laurie, who received an Emmy nomination for his work as Sen. Tom James on “Veep,” is the ship’s magnificently inept captain, Ryan Clark, who has no idea how to navigate a course taking them somewhere between “Gilligan’s Island” and “Lost in Space.” Co-stars include Josh Gad, Zach Woods, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Kyle Bornheimer and Ethan Phillips (“Star Trek: Voyager”).

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 7:09 am

I've enjoyed the first two episodes.
Looking forward to the third episode.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 7:36 am

Bollox wrote:
Guy Incognito wrote:

I like the idea of a fat squat Richard Branson character type (Virgin Galactic), played by Josh Gad.

CLEVELAND, Ohio — “House” star Hugh Laurie, whose British comedy series include “Blackadder” and “A Bit of Fry & Laurie,” is the clueless captain on the HBO sci-fi spoof “Avenue 5,” one of the top viewing choices for the week:

“Avenue 5” (10 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 19, HBO): “Veep” creator Armando Iannucci is behind this edgy, galactically goofy science-fiction satire set aboard a luxury tourist space vessel in the mid-21st century. The futuristic cruise ship’s maiden voyage around Saturn hits a snag, stranding crew and passengers in space for, well, maybe years. Laurie, who received an Emmy nomination for his work as Sen. Tom James on “Veep,” is the ship’s magnificently inept captain, Ryan Clark, who has no idea how to navigate a course taking them somewhere between “Gilligan’s Island” and “Lost in Space.” Co-stars include Josh Gad, Zach Woods, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Kyle Bornheimer and Ethan Phillips (“Star Trek: Voyager”).

Excellent description!

One of my favorite gags is that not so bright ship owner Herman Judd, played by Josh Gad, orders engineering to decrease the lag time it takes for transmissions between the ship and Earth. He sees it as something that needs to be fixed. So physics plays a humorous role in more than one way.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2020, 12:52 am

My wife and I have been watching it. Great Sci/fi comedy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 8:45 am

Bollox wrote:
Guy Incognito wrote:

I was just gonna say that: it sounds like a cross between "Lost in Space", and the "Love Boat", but yeah... some DNA from "Gilligan's Island" too. :lol:

Exciting and newww…..

summat
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2020, 9:40 pm

I just started watching this last night, thought i'd give it a go as i enjoy most things by armando iannucci.

It's got a very odd vibe and my wife thought i was mad for liking it and left after 10 minutes. But now after 4 episodes i'm really liking it. It's kinda dark and messy and nobody fits a typical mold, everyone is kind of a dick.

Glad i stuck with it. Hope it keeps getting darker with more social norms/class system getting tested as everyone goes feral - like a futuristic lord of the flies.

Hugh Laurie's gradual breakdown from heroic mr. nice to an angry drunk is looking especially good.