Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 1:27 pm

I've always had "special interests" as in I obsess over topics, especially birds, to the point it seriously takes over my life. I've had this trait since I was a child.

But as I said before, my current diagnosis from my doctor is schizoaffective bipolar type, general anxiety, and borderline personality disorder. I keep obsessing over if in fact my diagnosis includes ASD! Every single time someone says I might have an ASD I go psycho, I read about it (I own The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome and Kids in the Syndrome mix) etc... ASD is one of my interests too!! !

Anyway, back to the point.... my simple question is are special interests very indicative of ASD, or can other disorders cause the same behavior? I really haven't read anything about this trait appearing much in other disorders... Except maybe in high IQ children/adults. I need more reading...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jan 2020, 11:56 pm

OCD & possibly Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder can have special interests

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 8:51 am

Hi Anginx, I'm ASP/HFA. Somewhere between a 10 year old in some ways and in other ways like a research scientist. To me, I don't think of anyone lesser nor greater than anyone else but I have a higher IQ as you asked about. My interests when I was around 3-4 began to really become consuming. I wanted to be an architect and would draw 3-d model houses on large paper for many years (likely due to synesthaesia -one of them are thoughts morphed with shapes). My interests now are different and stacking. Some interests have continue for a long time, others are like a handful that I go to from time to time. Whenever I recover from extreme burnout I'll pickup on some of the other things I used to like to do. Another poster mentioned OCD types. I've seen that too pertaining to obsessions. Some forms of personal obsession If I remember correctly can stem from borderline PD. To give a one-dimensional answer would not cover the entirety of the question however. I hope you are well.