Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 11:09 am

Quote:
The world around us is populated by a vast variety of things – ranging from genes and animals to atoms, particles and fields. While these can all be described by the natural sciences, it seems some can only be understood in terms of biology while others can only be explored using chemistry or physics. And when it comes to human behaviour, disciplines like sociology or psychology are the most useful.

This richness has intrigued philosophers, leading them to think about how the sciences are connected (or disconnected), but also about how things in the world relate to one another. Our new project, called the Metaphysical Unity of Science and funded by the European Research Council, is trying to answer these questions.

https://theconversation.com/from-quarks ... ied-130145

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 11:24 am

"All science is either physics or stamp-collecting" -- attributed to Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 11:32 am

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2020, 11:34 am

That was funny .

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 7:31 am

Fnord wrote:

That is until the psychology students use the pendulum to hypnotize the physics students and make them believe they are Albert Einsteins cat

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 12:22 am

Stafford Beer mentioned this in his presentation on Cybernetics. Worth a look IMO.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 6:22 pm

I don't think it would be possible to unite all sciences. I can't even get a physician to give me a medical opinion in a field outside of their specialty. How can I expect an astronaut to give me an educated opinion about my bladder control issues if I can't even get a psychiatrist to discuss the problem?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 7:06 pm

When you consider science as the study of the universe, then the sciences are already "unified" in an hierarchy, which has its roots in maths and logic. To illustrate:

In a humanistic context, we have the following:
• Sociology, which depends on...
• Psychology, which depends on...
• Biology, which depends on...
• Chemistry, which depends on...
• Physics (Classical & Quantum), which depends on...
• Maths, which depends on...
• Logic.

In an astronomical context, we have:
• Astronomy & Cosmology, which depend on...
• Physics (Classical & Quantum), which depends on...
• Maths, which depends on...
• Logic.

Science is already unified, even though each field of study within science focuses on its own specialty.