Harvard professor arrested for espionage

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 8:05 am

Three cases involving a Harvard University professor and two Chinese nationals who allegedly hid there ties to the country while conducting research,prosecutors said.

Dr.Charles Lieber,chairman of the chemistry department,was arrested tuesday for allegedly taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from a Chinese university and concealing his work for the goverment run program that aim's to lure scientists to share there research with China.

Yangqing Ye, a lieutenant of the Chinese people's liberation army,was indicted on visa fraud,making false statements and acting as an agent of a foreign goverment.

Zaosong Zheng,another Chinese national was arrested at Boston's Logan airport for attempting to smuggle 21 vials of biological research to China.He stole the vials from a laboratory at Beth Israel deaconess medical center.

As demonstrated by these cases,the Chinese government uses exchanges with US schools and research institutions to access cutting edge research equipment.

masslive.com

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 8:26 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Three cases involving a Harvard University professor and two Chinese nationals who allegedly hid there ties to the country while conducting research,prosecutors said.

Dr.Charles Lieber,chairman of the chemistry department,was arrested tuesday for allegedly taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from a Chinese university and concealing his work for the goverment run program that aim's to lure scientists to share there research with China.

Yangqing Ye, a lieutenant of the Chinese people's liberation army,was indicted on visa fraud,making false statements and acting as an agent of a foreign goverment.

Zaosong Zheng,another Chinese national was arrested at Boston's Logan airport for attempting to smuggle 21 vials of biological research to China.He stole the vials from a laboratory at Beth Israel deaconess medical center.

As demonstrated by these cases,the Chinese government uses exchanges with US schools and research institutions to access cutting edge research equipment.

masslive.com

There was also a doctoral student somewhere in the NE that stole cancer research materials from his colleague, hid it in his sock, and was arrested at the airport. Similar scenario to the above mentioned; it may be the same one from Boston.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 8:36 am

pyrrhicwren wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

masslive.com

There was also a doctoral student somewhere in the NE that stole cancer research materials from his colleague, hid it in his sock, and was arrested at the airport. Similar scenario to the above mentioned; it may be the same one from Boston.
It could be,very possible

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 8:42 am

I am starting to wonder if I have figured out how the coronavirus surfaced after reading this thread.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 8:51 am

This is not a new problem, as it has been happening for a long, long time. When I was I in grad school, there was a Chinese national who was being kicked out of the program. During the transfer process, said person downloaded over 10,000 spectral files from an online database. The student got caught when the IT department noticed a huge spike in information being transferred late at night into our group office computer bank. Normally, it was only used during the day. The FBI got involved and that is the last I heard about the incident. For those who now access the online database, there is a limit of fifty searches a day before access is blocked. It can only be unblocked by contacting the service and explaining why you needed the material.

Not all foreign students are guilty of such offenses, but it becomes hard to sort out the bad ones from the good sometimes. I do not have an easy solution to fix this issue. It will continue as long as we have information that other countries want for their own.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 8:58 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
This is not a new problem, as it has been happening for a long, long time. When I was I in grad school, there was a Chinese national who was being kicked out of the program. During the transfer process, said person downloaded over 10,000 spectral files from an online database. The student got caught when the IT department noticed a huge spike in information being transferred late at night into our group office computer bank. Normally, it was only used during the day. The FBI got involved and that is the last I heard about the incident. For those who now access the online database, there is a limit of fifty searches a day before access is blocked. It can only be unblocked by contacting the service and explaining why you needed the material.

Not all foreign students are guilty of such offenses, but it becomes hard to sort out the bad ones from the good sometimes. I do not have an easy solution to fix this issue. It will continue as long as we have information that other countries want for their own.

In the last few years I kept coming across similar articles. In an interview I watched, a retired general said that in the last 10-15 yrs the forementioned country has stolen so many different forms of technology from the US that it has given them a potential soon-coming major advantage. I heard soon that they are planning on getting away from the US GPS system and creating their own; this may be in concert with their quantum satellite communication. This is real.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 9:03 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
I am starting to wonder if I have figured out how the coronavirus surfaced after reading this thread.

That crossed my mind too.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 9:23 am

Are people saying the coronavirus originated in the US and was stolen and taken to China?I thought it was established that the coronavirus came from snakes at a fish market in Wuhan China.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 9:26 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Are people saying the coronavirus originated in the US and was stolen and taken to China?I thought it was established that the coronavirus came from snakes at a fish market in Wuhan China.

I was actually joking. But apparently Ezra kind of thought about the same thing.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 9:29 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I was actually joking. But apparently Ezra kind of thought about the same thing.
Ok,I know you joke a lot,sorry I missed it.It's been a bad morning in general,sorry

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 9:30 am

Well, yes ... Harvard ... never at Yale.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 9:32 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

It crossed my mind the same way. As in not a serious thought.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 11:20 am

Some of the Chinese nationals are no doubt involved in espionage, but I suspect many of the US university researchers and administrators are motivated by good old fashioned greed.

There Are Four Lights!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 11:27 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
This is not a new problem, as it has been happening for a long, long time. When I was I in grad school, there was a Chinese national who was being kicked out of the program. During the transfer process, said person downloaded over 10,000 spectral files from an online database. The student got caught when the IT department noticed a huge spike in information being transferred late at night into our group office computer bank.

Kudos to the IT department! Always reassuring when somebody does their job!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2020, 11:29 am

Darmok wrote:
Some of the Chinese nationals are no doubt involved in espionage, but I suspect many of the US university researchers and administrators are motivated by good old fashioned greed.

Old fashioned greed is fertile ground for spies. The first season of Jack Ryan gets this right although this series went down the toilet in season 2.