Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 2:07 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but it is computer related.

I live in a small rural community which is part of a large city, so we get many city services. I want to complain about something but I don’t want to give my personal information because I am concerned about retaliation. (Not too paranoid, I know of some instances). I could complain through the City website/app but it won’t accept complaints without name, address and phone number. I’ve tried to fake it, but that didn’t work.

I’d like to send an anonymous email to my councillor or the mayor.

I have a variety of email accounts under different versions of my name, but I want a truly anonymous one for this instance. The councillor once was so offended by a constituent’s Facebook post, in her maiden name, he back tracked through the info, found her husband’s name and complained to the husband’s employer (City police) about her! Councillor got disciplined thankfully.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

As an aside, the problem I want to complain about applies to everyone on the main street of my community so I don’t think I should be centred out!

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 9:06 am

I'd say you should set up an anonymous email account - something like "[email protected]", first name Citizen, last Concerned, gmail allows you to skip the phone number part. There's also a service called AnnonEmail where you can send an email without displaying your address - I've never used it so I can't recommend it but you could take a look. Also, send it from a public wifi like a library/cafe/mall etc as they can check from what IP address and email was sent.

Stay brief and to the point with the content and don't expect much, there's a high enough probability they'll ignore it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2020, 9:21 am

Set up and access your anonymous account only through TOR, which is used to access the "Dark Web".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 8:36 pm

Thank you very much to you both! I’ve played around using some TOR apps on my tablet, so shall go back and set up an email account.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2020, 10:51 pm

My primary e-mail is with protonmail.com. It is a paid account so I can have multiple addresses all going to the same place. One of mine is set up to be used for anonymous uses. It provides a name in the signature, but that name is not my own.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 12:17 pm

Thank you!