Dylann Roof's lawyers appeal death sentence citing autism

Page 10 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 9:38 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
.Autism is not insanty.

Likely, the underlying cause of autism is unknown.

So, do you really know that?

What if a type of autism is caused by a brain condition that causes both autistic behavior and psychotic behavior, OR autism is caused by a progressively worsening thyroid dysfunction that also causes worsening psychotic behavior?

I was given Risperdal (anti-psychotic) to treat autism.

This is common treatment for autistic people.

Risperdal as a Treatment for Autism
https://www.verywellhealth.com/risperda ... sm-2633208

Be the hero of your life.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 10:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

That gets back to the crux the issue. Autism is not insanty.[/quote]

Yes, autism is not insanity,but some people are so severly autistic that they wouldn't be fit to stand trial,there was a case of a autistic teen who stabbed his mother,I don't have a link.Some severly autistic people are violent and don't have the mental capacity to know it's wrong.

Some autistic people have been so mistreated by the world that there autistic related experiences are legit mitigation at sentencing,particularly in a death penalty case,a person with mental disease or defect cannot be put to death.

Not all mental disease or defect defenses have to meet traditional definitions of insanity,if there to severly autistic to know right from wrong,they might not be insane but they wouldn't have to stand trial.And any mental disease or defect is good mitigation in the sentence phase.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2020, 11:58 pm

I now this won't be a pleasant issue to bring up here, but at some point we have to: lots of autistic people, because of the isolation and reclusiveness, spent entire too much time on Youtube, and go swan diving into Youtube rabbit holes. And, well, there really are people out there trying to weaponize autism by whispering into the ears of despondent autistics and persuade them to do bad things. No idea if Roof really is autistic, but there are people in St. Petersburg who were literally doing their hourly wage job persuading him and others like him to do stuff like this.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 12:11 am

^^Truth.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:00 am

^^While I accept the above is true, it underlines the need for proper parenting. The parents of Dylan Roof were certainly not doing anything constructive to divert his unhealthy interest in right wing propoganda.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:19 am

Y'know, I seem to remember Roof declaring in court that he'd rather die than be described as having autism or mental illness.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Y'know, I seem to remember Roof declaring in court that he'd rather die than be described as having autism or mental illness.

Which (ironically) will be carted out as proof he has autism to the judge (by denying he has it)

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 2:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Which (ironically) will be carted out as proof he has autism to the judge (by denying he has it)

It's a "Catch-22" :)

Anyone who wants to get out of a death penalty conviction isn't really crazy.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 4:55 am

Apuleius wrote:
I now this won't be a pleasant issue to bring up here, but at some point we have to: lots of autistic people, because of the isolation and reclusiveness, spent entire too much time on Youtube, and go swan diving into Youtube rabbit holes. And, well, there really are people out there trying to weaponize autism by whispering into the ears of despondent autistics and persuade them to do bad things. No idea if Roof really is autistic, but there are people in St. Petersburg who were literally doing their hourly wage job persuading him and others like him to do stuff like this.
So your saying there are people on YouTube who specifically target autistics to commit crimes.
Or are you just talking in general about all the hate propaganda on YouTube anyway.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 5:19 am

Not many people commit mass murder. One out of a zillion autistics, one out of a zillion sociopaths, one out of a zillion whatever.

In my opinion there is a single unique factor that all mass muderers share. I think someone who has this is likely to kill no matter what their history is and what other mental illness or disorder they have or don't have.

They are homicidal. They are "natural born killers".

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 9:20 am

EzraS wrote:
Not many people commit mass murder. One out of a zillion autistics, one out of a zillion sociopaths, one out of a zillion whatever.

In my opinion there is a single unique factor that all mass muderers share. I think someone who has this is likely to kill no matter what their history is and what other mental illness or disorder they have or don't have.

I don't believe that autism is any type of leading cause of violence or that there is a corolation between autism and violence.But I do believe in a defense attorney's right to use any defense they seem fit or best.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2020, 11:30 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Apuleius wrote:
So your saying there are people on YouTube who specifically target autistics to commit crimes.
Or are you just talking in general about all the hate propaganda on YouTube anyway.

There are trolls out there who are looking for reclusive people and trying to use them. So not just autistics. And not just Youtube.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 12:25 pm

What autistic symptoms , in a person of average intelligence or above, would lead to diminished ability to know right from wrong?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:08 pm

firemonkey wrote:
What autistic symptoms , in a person of average intelligence or above, would lead to diminished ability to know right from wrong?

This site is called "WRONG PLANET", because autistic people are perceived to behave WRONG.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:17 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I don't believe that autism is any type of leading cause of violence or that there is a corolation between autism and violence.But I do believe in a defense attorney's right to use any defense they seem fit or best.

I agree with that. And like I said I think it is a "give the poor guy a break because he is 'mentally disabled'" plea rather than a "his autism made him do it" insanity type plea.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 2:09 pm

EzraS wrote:
... I think it is a "give the poor guy a break because he is 'mentally disabled'" plea rather than a "his autism made him do it" insanity type plea.
I could agree to that, provided it involves only the commutation of the death penalty, and not a full pardon.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.