Autistic teen arrested while having epileptic seizure

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 5:08 am

Fresno Police handcuffed, arrested 16-year-old boy with autism after he had seizure, mom says

Quote:
A Central Valley mother is outraged after she says her son, who is autistic, was placed in handcuffs instead of being taken to the hospital.

A video she sent Action News shows a portion of the incident unfolding.

The sounds of fear can be heard in that video, as police attempted to arrest the 16-year-old Delano boy inside a central Fresno 'El Pollo Loco' on Thursday night.

"He has autism, he has epilepsy, stop it!" she can be heard screaming.

Lourdes Ponce says her son had just left the doctor after suffering from epileptic seizures.

Those seizures she says returned while he was in the restroom at the fast-food restaurant.

"I stood outside the door, I heard him hit the floor, I tried to open the door but it was locked, that's when I asked for help," she says.

Ponce says when employees unlocked the door, her son was on the ground.

She then told her daughter to call 911.

"We called paramedics for help, we did not call police. He was not hurting anybody, he was having a seizure," she says.

However, police arrived first and tried handcuffing the teen.

Video even shows them trying to place him into the back of a patrol car.

During that time, Ponce says her son began to panic and started to vomit.

"He saw that my son was throwing up and instead of helping him so that he wouldn't choke on his vomit, they had him on the ground in handcuffs," she says.

Ponce says she then ran to her car and got paperwork showing her son has a history of epilepsy.

"After I showed the paperwork, EMS was able to treat him and take him to the hospital," she says.

She says her son is still recovering from his epileptic attacks at Valley Children's Hospital, and that he is so traumatized by what happened to him that he is having a hard time receiving treatment from hospital staff.

Ponce tells Action News police stopped by the hospital Friday with this "certificate of release" form - paperwork that states the teen will not be arrested.

It's something this mother of three says her family tried telling officers when they first arrived.

In a statement to Action News, Fresno Police said:
"This case is currently under Administrative Review. The review will include the examination of all the information pertaining to the officer's contact including Body Worn Cameras."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 7:27 am

That one from somewhere in east Arizona where the drug expert cop slammed that autistic boy at the park was another one that is hard to watch. The boy said he was stimming and the cop was like I am a drug expert and you are on drugs...

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 8:35 am

pyrrhicwren wrote:
That one from somewhere in east Arizona where the drug expert cop slammed that autistic boy at the park was another one that is hard to watch. The boy said he was stimming and the cop was like I am a drug expert and you are on drugs...

What made him a drug expert? Did he have a medical degree and moonlight as a cop?

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:04 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:

What made him a drug expert? Did he have a medical degree and moonlight as a cop?

In the midwest it is a bigger thing they began to do more and more. They take a course in less than a week on signs of being on drugs, which have been wrong a times. Even if you never been on drugs they can say according to their expertise they say you are and haul you off and take your vehicle.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:19 am

pyrrhicwren wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:

In the midwest it is a bigger thing they began to do more and more. They take a course in less than a week on signs of being on drugs, which have been wrong a times. Even if you never been on drugs they can say according to their expertise they say you are and haul you off and take your vehicle.

I am not sure about the entire Midwest, but Illinois has a thing you can fill out with the DMV if you have a disability. Doesn't the so-called "drug expert" course cover this possibly?

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:47 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:

I am not sure about the entire Midwest, but Illinois has a thing you can fill out with the DMV if you have a disability. Doesn't the so-called "drug expert" course cover this possibly?

Yeah not the entire midwest but states around Indiana; this course seems really shallow. I have heard recently from a doctor that po-po in certain states are taking courses now on autism.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 9:52 am

pyrrhicwren wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:

Yeah not the entire midwest but states around Indiana; this course seems really shallow. I have heard recently from a doctor that po-po in certain states are taking courses now on autism.

I m surprised that this is not briefly covered in the existing drug course. I have heard of it being a common issue to confuse under the influence with autistic.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 12:13 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
pyrrhicwren wrote:

I m surprised that this is not briefly covered in the existing drug course. I have heard of it being a common issue to confuse under the influence with autistic.

For reference to the forementioned:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 5:37 pm

Has this cop been sent for re-education?

Do people with epilepsy also have to wonder if they will be arrested if they dare have a seizure in public?