Do I have PTSD from social isolation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 12:52 pm

When I was aged 12-16 I suffered terribly from social rejection from my peers at school, and I believe it still has an affect on me today.

Dealing with social isolation from peers at school can be almost as damaging to a child as being neglected/abused by parents. Luckily for me I had a loving, secure family, but my experience I had at school was mentally damaging for me. I was picked on, made fun of, humiliated, ostracized and rejected by my peers, and was also picked on by kids I didn't know.
It made me believe that I wasn't good enough, unworthy of friendships, denied happiness, and it was very isolating.

As an adult I am hypersensitive to any mocking or judging I might get from strangers, because of how kids I didn't know at school targeted me just to get cheap laughs out of me. So if I think anyone is doing the same to me in the adult world I feel extremely anxious and angry, because it reminds me of my sh***y teenage years.
Also to this day I fear social rejection very badly. At school I really wanted friends, but whenever I tried to join in, I got rejected and it hurt. So now as an adult if there are two females who I know talking to each other, I have a little dilemma; if I stand here and don't go over and join in they will think I'm not that friendly and I'll never make friends that way, but if I do go over and join in they might get annoyed and think I'm intruding.
It's always me that has to make the first move, and there are some things body language DOESN'T give away.

Anyway, all this social anxiety I have, do you think it might be a form of PTSD from how I was treated as a teenager?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 2:00 pm

you probably don't have literal PTSD, but all of the rejection did emotionally scar you.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 2:07 pm

Recently I've read a psychology today post that suggested social anxiety may in some ways be more closely related to PTSD than other anxiety disorders.

Quote:
Social anxiety disorder is different from a number of other anxiety disorders because it doesn’t seem to be associated with “flash-forwards”—the person experiences vivid imagery of a future imagined bad outcome—but rather “flashbacks”—memories of socially embarrassing situations. Flashbacks are more commonly associated with PTSD than they are with generalized anxiety.

So that psychologist would at least to some extent agree with you and it would also be a general characteristic of social anxiety disorder and not something specific to your case.

The psychology today post was mostly about some psychological study about some treatment options and all in all I didn't find it particularly interesting. But here's the link anyway: https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/bl ... en-missing

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 2:43 pm

Not a fullblown PTSD, maybe yet. But definitely trauma.

Currently speaking;
Is simply just the future social prospect triggers you?
Like any typical anxiety session of already imagining and worrying while either anticipating socializing would just go wrong for whatever reason, or by simply stepping out into the crowd and feeling like everyone's judging you already.

Or the present/while happening? While socializing, or while there's a specific event while socializing (rejection, criticism, accusation, etc.) Without worrying nor necessarily anticipating about it, but as it did happed as opposed to imagined. Most especially if it's all the sudden.

It's something I still currently have to deal with. If the event happens, it's like I went back to a state when I was helpless in certain moments in the past. No literal flashbacks, only like a form of unreasonable helplessness and overwhelming (unprocessed and very unwanted) emotions.
It's this pattern embedded in my system somewhere, unless I have the EF to overcome it on the spot through reprisal.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2020, 3:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
you probably don't have literal PTSD, but all of the rejection did emotionally scar you.
I have literal PTSD from social isolation and social abuses.

Wreck It Ralph

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Feb 2020, 4:02 pm

Rather C-PTSD than simple PTSD. Otherwise yes.
I'm still quite frightened of women about my age in groups because of it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 8:00 am

I know the adult world is more forgiving than school, but not completely forgiving. In my adult life I have still come across older women being cliquey and bitchy towards me, humiliating me and making me feel ashamed of a harmless quirk of mine by pointing it out in a catty sort of way. That reminds me of what I had to put up with when I was a teenager, and it hurts.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 8:40 am

Am reminded of something I read in psychology today years ago. Someone researched how children play. You will hear little girls say "you cant play with us", but you don't hear boys say that. With boys "everybody is welcome, even the dorky nerds, but...". What comes after the "but" is "you have to respect the pecking order". :lol:

My own memories of childhood kinda bear that out.

I suppose that both genders still instinctively act that way as adults though it gets buried under layers of social nicety.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 9:00 am

I had lots of trauma of that nature growing up.

That’s why I hated being a kid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 9:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had lots of trauma of that nature growing up.

That’s why I hated being a kid.

I loved being a kid, and it was much easier being a small kid. I don't think I have any social traumas from my childhood under the age of about 11 or 12. But from the ages of about 12 to 16, I went through hell. I know I wasn't bullied as bad as some Aspies here were, but I was still subtly bullied or picked on.

At the time I didn't really react, I just felt annoyed at the time then moved on, in other words I never stuck up for myself. So I think over the years the anger from it had built up and now looking back I realise how sh***y I was treated.

In my first year of high school I looked like a lost soul, and I held my body awkwardly. In my third year of high school (aged 13) I went through a phase of fiddling with my fingers a lot. In the forth and fifth years I got a little better but I still went around with hairy legs, which was very frowned upon among girls and women (still is now). So no wonder I got targeted.

But I don't think that explains my social rejection though. The girls in my class knew about my diagnosis and so seemed afraid of me, as if they got Asperger's confused with AIDS.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 9:47 am

I was pretty much the kid whom everybody picked on—from first grade (standard 1) through 11th grade (form 4).

Things started improving for me my last year of high school.

This was because I didn’t know how to relate to other kids properly, and I liked showing off how “smart” I was.

I had to learn how to stand up for myself and to edit my words eventually.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 4:54 am

Joe90 wrote:
When I was aged 12-16 I suffered terribly from social rejection from my peers at school, and I believe it still has an affect on me today.

Dealing with social isolation from peers at school can be almost as damaging to a child as being neglected/abused by parents. Luckily for me I had a loving, secure family, but my experience I had at school was mentally damaging for me. I was picked on, made fun of, humiliated, ostracized and rejected by my peers, and was also picked on by kids I didn't know.
It made me believe that I wasn't good enough, unworthy of friendships, denied happiness, and it was very isolating.

As an adult I am hypersensitive to any mocking or judging I might get from strangers, because of how kids I didn't know at school targeted me just to get cheap laughs out of me. So if I think anyone is doing the same to me in the adult world I feel extremely anxious and angry, because it reminds me of my sh***y teenage years.
Also to this day I fear social rejection very badly. At school I really wanted friends, but whenever I tried to join in, I got rejected and it hurt. So now as an adult if there are two females who I know talking to each other, I have a little dilemma; if I stand here and don't go over and join in they will think I'm not that friendly and I'll never make friends that way, but if I do go over and join in they might get annoyed and think I'm intruding.
It's always me that has to make the first move, and there are some things body language DOESN'T give away.

Anyway, all this social anxiety I have, do you think it might be a form of PTSD from how I was treated as a teenager?

I am sorry you were treated badly.

Like with autism I am not going to diagnose or undiagnosed you.

As with autism while PTSD might cause social anxiety it is not a form of it.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Quote:
What are the symptoms of PTSD?
Symptoms usually begin within 3 months of the traumatic incident, but sometimes they begin later. For symptoms to be considered PTSD, they must last more than a month and be severe enough to interfere with functioning in relationships or work. The course of the illness varies from person to person. Some people recover within 6 months, while others have symptoms that last much longer. In some people, the condition becomes chronic (ongoing).

A doctor who has experience helping people with mental illnesses, such as a psychiatrist or psychologist, can diagnose PTSD.

To be diagnosed with PTSD, an adult must have all of the following for at least 1 month:

At least one re-experiencing symptom
At least one avoidance symptom
At least two arousal and reactivity symptoms
At least two cognition and mood symptoms

Re-experiencing symptoms:
Flashbacks—reliving the trauma over and over, including physical symptoms like a racing heart or sweating
Bad dreams
Frightening thoughts
Re-experiencing symptoms may cause problems in a person’s everyday routine. They can start from the person’s own thoughts and feelings. Words, objects, or situations that are reminders of the event can also trigger re-experiencing symptoms.

Avoidance symptoms:
Staying away from places, events, or objects that are reminders of the experience
Avoiding thoughts or feelings related to the traumatic event
Things or situations that remind a person of the traumatic event can trigger avoidance symptoms. These symptoms may cause a person to change his or her personal routine. For example, after a bad car accident, a person who usually drives may avoid driving or riding in a car.

Arousal and reactivity symptoms:
Being easily startled
Feeling tense or “on edge”
Having difficulty sleeping, and/or having angry outbursts
Arousal symptoms are usually constant, instead of being triggered by something that brings back memories of the traumatic event. They can make the person feel stressed and angry. These symptoms may make it hard to do daily tasks, such as sleeping, eating, or concentrating.

Cognition and mood symptoms:
Trouble remembering key features of the traumatic event
Negative thoughts about oneself or the world
Distorted feelings like guilt or blame
Loss of interest in enjoyable activities
Cognition and mood symptoms can begin or worsen after the traumatic event. These symptoms can make the person feel alienated or detached from friends or family members.

After a dangerous event, it’s natural to have some of the symptoms mentioned on previous pages. Sometimes people have very serious symptoms that go away after a few weeks. This is called acute stress disorder, or ASD. When the symptoms last more than a month, seriously affect a person’s ability to function and are not due to substance use, medical illness, or anything except the event itself, the person might be experiencing PTSD. Some people with PTSD don’t show any symptoms for weeks or months. PTSD is often accompanied by depression, substance abuse, or one or more anxiety disorders.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2020, 5:10 am

There is also C-PTSD, with a bit different causes and symptoms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_p ... s_disorder
It's a new diagnosis, included only in the newest ICD-11. Typically, It's not related to a single event but to prolonged, repetitive distress with (by patient's subjective belief) no way out. The symptoms include poor sense of self, dissociative symptoms (depersonalization, derealization, etc.) and general emotional disregulation, sometimes seemingly randomly triggered. In my case, symptoms and life history definitely match C-PTSD, not "simple" PTSD.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 10:01 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Am reminded of something I read in psychology today years ago. Someone researched how children play. You will hear little girls say "you cant play with us", but you don't hear boys say that. With boys "everybody is welcome, even the dorky nerds, but...". What comes after the "but" is "you have to respect the pecking order". :lol:

My own memories of childhood kinda bear that out.

I suppose that both genders still instinctively act that way as adults though it gets buried under layers of social nicety.

I did not get the welcome part starting at junior high when I moved to a new state. They would not let me be a part of anything other than being a target to hit/beat on. In the pecking order, I was considered an untouchable, the lowest of the low I was not allowed the chance to try out for sports as the coaches did not want me on their teams per requests from the popular kids. I used to play both soccer and football, but gave that up because of them. When I moved away, they just found another target to do the same to.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 2:59 pm

Well maybe PTSD isn't the right word. I thought one could get it "mildly", like my anxiety as an adult is caused by my past experiences which sounds like a form of PTSD. But like some of you have mentioned it could be C-PTSD. Whatever the name is, my lonely teenage years do have an affect on the way I am now. I get annoyed when people say "stop dwelling on the past, you're an adult now so you can move on", because it's not as simple as that. Especially when I experience social rejection in adulthood, it reminds me of the social rejection I faced at school.
Also being an Aspie means you can't win. If you're ranked at the bottom of the social pecking order then you will be socially rejected all your life. Usually social rejection is found out by trial and error, which I'm scared to approach a situation in case I end up getting socially rejected. I'm very sensitive to social rejection, and usually having a disorder like ASD and ADHD is the reason we suffer social rejection. Maybe I'll come to accept it when I'm older but at the moment I'm not ready to be friendless and it's hard to accept it when I see my peers around me having social lives and not finding making friends difficult at all.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Feb 2020, 2:36 am

My experience - after finally finding a useful therapist - is that after you heal your past, you naturally stop ruminating on it.
But healing years of suffering is neither quick nor easy. It's all about stripping your defenses, unlearning coping strategies and then facing your demons... to learn how to deal with life once again.