Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

HPLFan
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2020, 2:58 pm

I was diagnosed a few years ago and have spent a lot of time trying to find any resources on how to 'catch up' socially, but not having much luck. I'm referring to finding the same level of training and support that a kid diagnosed today might receive. I can't find any sort of Aspergers/ASD support groups around me and even therapists and doctors I've seen just shrug and say there just isn't much out there. Any suggestions?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 6:35 pm

There really is not much as far as professional help geared towered autistics. Infuriating.

Perhaps if you give your general location it might help.

Wrong Planet has this section

There are a number blogs and youtube videos by middle age adults that deal with social skills. There are general social skills blogs, youtube videos, books, and courses. While they are geared towered NT's good advice for improving social skills is often still good advice despite the cause of the social skills issues.

My advice is to change your approach a bit. We will never be neurotypical so there is no true catching up. What there are is coping mechanisms and workarounds. Disability is not inability.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 7:54 pm

Being an adult, if you don't have autism specific groups in your area, you'll need to participate in non-autism specific adult groups and learn by practice, trial and error.

What sort of interests do you have? Go to meetup.com and see if there are ANY groups of any kind related to any subject in your area. You might find some groups that meet and share a similar interest to you.

Another idea would be to join a Toastmasters International group in your area if there is one (likely there is). Groups generally consist of anywhere from 6-12 people from my experience. If you were comfortable in doing so, you could disclose to the group when you join that you are on the spectrum and you'd like to develop communication skills. Everyone in a Toastmasters group is there to develop communication skills. It would be shocking if such a group didn't embrace, welcome and help you as you'd also be helping them.

You can also use meetup.com to form your own group in the hopes of drawing people with similar interests to yours.

If you're motivated enough to pursue this and you're physically capable of meeting with people, then you'll find ways.

Counseling centers can also have free or low cost group therapy sessions that might be a fit in helping with social communication even if the group sessions aren't autism specific.

I wish you the best of luck in this pursuit.

Julalloyd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2020, 8:19 pm

I’m with you - just diagnosed this summer after a lifelong social struggles ... clearly sensory overload -good at special interest output ...! Not so great at the ping pong back and forth subtleties- if all feels so awkward.
I’m in SF - keep in touch and we can share wins ...ideas :)