Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 8:45 am

I have watched some 30s 40s 50s movies on youtube. But I do not recall their titles. I like them because it is like a time machine showing me how things were back then.

The only old real life type movie I recall by title at the moment is It's a Wonderful Life.

Another not so real life is The Wizard of Oz.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 9:11 am

:(

RightGalaxy wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:
Absolutely love Trainspotting - the sequel T2 is brilliant too!

Thanks, I'll get it. :)

It was good but I really could not STAND "Begby".

Actually I lied. So sorry. I don't know if it was good. The character Begby being unchanged after all those years sickened me. I was unable to watch it if i couldn't shoot him right in the forehead. What was the movie about? Would anyone be willing to give me a blow by blow account of the movie?? I can NEVER watch characters who don't grow up after a multitude of years have past. That's why I can no longer enjoy Absolutely Fabulous past May 1995. (The first three series). I can't stand them being old and being the same way in character. Same for Red Dwarf. It's lousy when characters get old and have no redeeming qualities. Hard to watch! Like in real life, when you meet up with someone and see they are the same damned way and wonder why you agreed to meet in the first place - Familiarity breeds contempt - never understood what that meant until now.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 11:02 am

I watched documentaries of old Olympic Games celebrations from the 1910s (Hannes Kolehmainen, Jim Thorpe), 1920s (Paavo Nurmi), 1950s (Emil Zatopek, Alain Mimoun) and the 1960s (Abebe Bikila).

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 3:36 pm

It seems that sequels / remakes have become a greater percentage of the newer films lately. When sequels come-out, I sometimes rent the original versions. Almost always, the originals are better than the remakes.

The younger generations of movie viewers might not have seen the original versions of movies in which to draw comparisons.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 10:26 am

All of the sequels, prequels and remakes make my head spin. Most of the remakes of movies I liked were complete failures.

5wiits 4 Ma 5wiit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2020, 3:48 pm

Anybody seen "The Exterminator" from 1980? It's about a man from Vietnam who becomes a vigilant after his friend is paralyzed by a gang.

There was a sequel in 1984.

The eighties had very cheesy, yet hugely enjoyable flicks. I grew up renting action movies and then I ended up being more into horror ones eventually.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 10:30 pm

A Hard Day's Night
Help
My Fair Lady
Mary Poppins (1964)
Battle of Britain
To Sir With Love
In the Heat of The Night
Yellow Submarine
Bonnie and Clyde
Easy Rider
The Sound of Music
A Christmas Carol (1951)

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 12:30 am

Death Wish films (theyre decent time killers imo)

Delta Force (better than Commando/Rambo II , sequel was less than half as good , it seemed much more low budget & the lack of a decent soundtrack......I really miss Silvestris music in #2)

Kong '76 (blasphemy but its my favorite Kong movie)

5wiits 4 Ma 5wiit

02 Mar 2020, 12:46 am

All of the "Dirty Harry" movies are awesome. ;)

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 12:50 am

For some reason DH 3 didnt do much for me , im sure it was ahead of its time with Harry having a female partner

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 6:56 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
:(
RightGalaxy wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
Where_am_I wrote:
Absolutely love Trainspotting - the sequel T2 is brilliant too!

Thanks, I'll get it. :)

It was good but I really could not STAND "Begby".

Actually I lied. So sorry. I don't know if it was good. The character Begby being unchanged after all those years sickened me. I was unable to watch it if i couldn't shoot him right in the forehead. What was the movie about? Would anyone be willing to give me a blow by blow account of the movie?? I can NEVER watch characters who don't grow up after a multitude of years have past. That's why I can no longer enjoy Absolutely Fabulous past May 1995. (The first three series). I can't stand them being old and being the same way in character. Same for Red Dwarf. It's lousy when characters get old and have no redeeming qualities. Hard to watch! Like in real life, when you meet up with someone and see they are the same damned way and wonder why you agreed to meet in the first place - Familiarity breeds contempt - never understood what that meant until now.

:) No need to apologise! Yeah I get that, if you don't like a character it does make it difficult to watch - especially if they haven't developed. Robert Carlisle play's him really well. The sequel is pretty funny, it's a reunion of the characters and Begbie wanting his revenge on Renton. It's a nostalgic trip for us trainspotting fans. We had to wait 20yrs for the sequel because the director wanted to make it once the actors looked older.

P.s. please bear with, I'll give a more detailed account of the film shortly!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 7:39 am

Trainspotting is old?

5wiits 4 Ma 5wiit

05 Mar 2020, 7:29 pm

The Rocky series.

Even the fifth one, as it has its moments.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 9:28 pm

If a movie is 10+ yrs old its technically an old movie imo......Batman TDK can now be considered old ;)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 10:01 pm

Pi

Darren Aronofsky's 1998 debut film about a math genius who is obsessed with the titular numerical sequence.

Cronos

Guillermo Del Toro's 1993 debut film about an old man who is corrupted by a mysterious device that gives him a youthful appearance but also turns him into a vampire.

Both films are well worth your time. Both are short films, so you may be able to sit through them easily.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 2:08 pm

This discussion thread might be good place to share some of the older movies - which, lately with the 'shelter at home' orders, we have the time to dig-out older DVD/VHS tapes from closets, garages, cabinets, etc.

We found a copy of '84 Charing Cross Road' - Circa 1987: (LINK) on VHS tape.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/84_Charin ... Road_(film)