Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:15 pm

I had a presumably NT friend who never went out without a large purse filled with various things she might need, ranging from essential oils to a copy of "The Prophet." I have another friend who has his car packed with emergency gear. He used to work in search and rescue, but has never used his private collection.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:36 pm

I have a stuffed tiger shark named Lilia that I got at the Shedd Aquarium (my favorite place in Chicago) two years ago. I of course had to carry her for the rest of our visit, and... I sort of never stopped. She (and my stuffed Komodo dragon Jordy) comes with me any time I will be spending at least one night somewhere, and I'll bring her in the car when it's raining hard (I have major sensory issues with the noise of rain on the car roof) or when I'm going somewhere that's going to be stressful, but I don't carry her around in public places because 1. I don't want to draw any more attention to myself than I absolutely have to and 2. I don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"