Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Nierly
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2020, 6:29 am

I’ve noticed recently that I’m getting back into the habit of carrying around comfort items, I did it when I younger but after a few years I’m doing it again.

I carry around my bag with key chains and buttons of all my favorite characters, 3DS, phone (but not a comfort item) and my Popuko plush. Does anyone else do this? I just feel safe with these cause it’s like my favorite characters are with me despite how odd it sounds ^^;

"In your darkest hour, in the blackest night... think of me, and I will be with you. Always. For where else could I go? Who else could I love but you?"

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 6:38 am

I always carry my wallet, change bag, all my keys and electronic smoking device whenever I leave the house.
Even if I’m just nipping round the corner for milk.
Always in the same pockets: it’s weird and I feel naked if I don’t!

I also can’t sleep if I’m not hugging my (now very threadbare) first dressing-gown my late grandparents bought me.

LoraAdora
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Feb 2020, 6:49 am

When I go out I take an object to protect myself which gives me comfort. And when I am at home I have my special blanket and polar bear teddy which gives me a lot of comfort.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 6:53 am

^ Snap on the polar teddy bear
(Although mine sadly is no more: it got dragged through the stream at the bottom of my parents garden too many times: RIP polar bear)

LoraAdora

13 Feb 2020, 6:55 am

^> Aw I'm so sorry to hear that. I can imagine how upsetting that must have been. I've had mine since I was six and don't want to ever lose it.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 7:00 am

^ yes, I still miss polar bear: but by the end he had no fur, no eyes and was leaking stuffing.
He accompanied me on all my childhood adventures to faraway lands of imagination, and fell nobly in the line of duty.

That was meant to be humourous, but I’ve now got a tear in my eye

LoraAdora

13 Feb 2020, 7:13 am

^> Aww that is really sad :( . Its actually made me tearful to. I'm an emotional mess at the moment. Do you have another bear to comfort you?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 7:25 am

^ Aww! Don’t worry about it: I’m much more resilient than I was even six years ago! :)

(But yes: there is the teddy my great-grandfather bought me the year before he had the stroke that paralysed him, he sits on my childhood dinky wicker armchair in my study, and I always know he’s there)

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 9:40 am

I have a small plushie version of the Thirteenth Doctor from Doctor Who my mom got me that I carry around in my bag with me whenever I go anyplace as well as a squishy ball I will play with too if I get anxious or overwhelmed. I'd say they are my main comfort items and I also have my phone, my iPod, and earphones too that help me a lot too.

My Tumblr

LoraAdora

13 Feb 2020, 10:00 am

Karamazov wrote:
^ Aww! Don’t worry about it: I’m much more resilient than I was even six years ago! :)

(But yes: there is the teddy my great-grandfather bought me the year before he had the stroke that paralysed him, he sits on my childhood dinky wicker armchair in my study, and I always know he’s there)

That's great :) I think it would break my heart if that had happened to me.
Your great-grandfather's teddy sounds lovely. Must be a nice comfort and a great reminder of your great-grandfather whenever you see it.

AriaEclipse wrote:
I have a small plushie version of the Thirteenth Doctor from Doctor Who my mom got me that I carry around in my bag with me whenever I go anyplace as well as a squishy ball I will play with too if I get anxious or overwhelmed. I'd say they are my main comfort items and I also have my phone, my iPod, and earphones too that help me a lot too.

That sounds adorable! :) I might try and get one. Are you a fan of Doctor Who? I am and that plushie sounds like a really nice thing to own and comfort you.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 11:50 am

When I worked as a handyman, my pockets unobtrusively held a very careful selection of tools, such that I could complete half the jobs when I first heard of them. I also carry a comb and a clean handkerchief.
I once went to a workshop where we were required to bring a stuffed toy. The leader was horrified when I used mine to remedy the lack of back support in my chair. I still have it, and am thinking of filling it with concrete and leaving it sprawled on my guest chair for a gag.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 12:01 pm

I am not sure whether i am just obsessed with objects or they give me comfort but. I am obsessed with perfume and cosmetic and make up products. I spend a lot of time doing makeup watching makeup videos and planning which item i will buy when i run out of something.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 1:57 pm

AriaEclipse wrote:

That sounds adorable! :) I might try and get one. Are you a fan of Doctor Who? I am and that plushie sounds like a really nice thing to own and comfort you.[/quote]

Yes, I am a huge DW fan :D The plushie is really the perfect size to carry in a bag and I actually have nicknamed her "Thirteeny" (as in a blend of Thirteen + Teeny) :lol:

My Tumblr

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 2:18 pm

Dear_one wrote:
When I worked as a handyman, my pockets unobtrusively held a very careful selection of tools, such that I could complete half the jobs when I first heard of them. I also carry a comb and a clean handkerchief.
I once went to a workshop where we were required to bring a stuffed toy. The leader was horrified when I used mine to remedy the lack of back support in my chair. I still have it, and am thinking of filling it with concrete and leaving it sprawled on my guest chair for a gag.

:lol: Great practical joke! :lol:
I know what you mean about the tools: I always take all of my hand tools to every job, that way I know I’m both prepared and professional :wink:

LoraAdora wrote:
That's great :) I think it would break my heart if that had happened to me.
Your great-grandfather's teddy sounds lovely. Must be a nice comfort and a great reminder of your great-grandfather whenever you see it.

To be honest I don’t really remember him: his stroke was when I was very little, and he lived hundreds of miles from us.
But I know he thought kindly of me: and that is a comfort.

AriaEclipse wrote:
Yes, I am a huge DW fan :D The plushie is really the perfect size to carry in a bag and I actually have nicknamed her "Thirteeny" (as in a blend of Thirteen + Teeny) :lol:

Let us all take a moment to give thanks for Jodie Whittaker, and her flawless reintroduction of fun to DW. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 2:33 pm

I have an old teddy bear that I use as a comfort item, although I don't take him out with me. He stays in my bed, inbetween mine and my partner's pillows, where I know he is warm and safe. I can't sleep without him next to me. Luckily my partner is understanding and doesn't judge me against having a special bear. (My bear is rather tattered but he's still special to me).

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 2:42 pm

I heard of an optometrist in his 50s who took his teddy bear along as he learned to fly, and insisted on the flight instructor greeting it.