Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 5:50 am

Since a child I just don't like cooked egg. I will eat it raw though I rarely do, but boiled, poached, fried etc... Errr!
It came to me thinking about it that it is the feeling of the white of the egg in my mouth that turns me and the smell, where though as a young child I did not mind the yoke, and if I should eat them raw the yoke is tollerable (And raw the white (Clear) is tollerable (I don't say I like them but I tollerate them in their raw form)), yet when cooked in things like pancakes and cakes I will eat them. Ooh. I hate omlette. Errr! But pancakes... Yummm!

But it it the texture in my mouth that turns on me and the smell of egg sandwiches! If an egg sandwich walks anywhere near me I am off!! !

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 5:54 am

And egg custart tarts! Chchchchchhhh! Yuckyuckyuck! The smell! The tasts! UuuuuuuRRRRR!

Just someone asking me if I want one turns my stomach inside out!

And those things that sound like a snake being sick backwards that are spelt something like quicky... Ooorrrchhchchchchhhh! Errr! Yerrrr!

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 9:13 am

Many people on the spectrum have food textures that are a "no-go". I think most people are put off by raw eggs because of the runny/slimy texture, but I could see the sort of rubbery consistency of cooked eggs being bad too. I actually like unusual textures, so I'll eat just about anything (except meat). I might be atypical on this point. :shrug:

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2020, 9:19 am

I don't like eggs.... unless they are in cakes. :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 9:43 am

I like my eggs Japanese style. Scrambled with sugar, soy sauce, and mirin. Then rolled in a square pan. The roll stays warm for a long time.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 11:19 am

With me it's not that I dislike eggs , but things like creamed eggs( had this quite a lot in hospital), rich scrambled eggs and rich omelette can make me feel nauseous .

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 5:57 pm

I used to be okay with scrambled eggs cooked just until all the "glossiness" went away but not until they started to turn brown, now I don't even like those. The smell, taste, and texture :eew: I've never found another way that I can stand eggs, except of course when in baked goods that are full of enough other stuff that you don't really notice the egg.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
And egg custart tarts! Chchchchchhhh! Yuckyuckyuck! The smell! The tasts! UuuuuuuRRRRR!

And those things that sound like a snake being sick backwards that are spelt something like quicky... Ooorrrchhchchchchhhh! Errr! Yerrrr!

Quiche?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 1:06 pm

Teach51 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Quiche?

Yes. That's it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 1:11 pm

I don't like eggs either for the most part. I do actually like egg drop soup and I don't mind little bits of egg in that fried rice you get at chinese places and of course eggs being mixed into baked goods doesn't bother me. But yeah I don't like to eat them raw or cooked with the exceptions I mentioned.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 11:25 pm

I quit eggs 49 years ago, a year after giving up fish, because chickens eat more than twice as much protein as they convert to egg. This is much better than most animal products, but still more than a fair share of a planet with hungry people and dying species. My friend who kept rescued chickens and ate many eggs had a heart attack, while my cholesterol was extremely low. This does limit my options in baking, but that also helps to keep my sweet tooth out of trouble.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 12:11 am

I like eggs. I prefer to see the yolk (e.g. fried egg), rather than scrambled or omelettes where it's mixed.

I don't like bacon with eggs. Somehow the combination always makes me feel ill afterward. Maybe it's too salty to have both? I can do one or the other, but not together.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 1:10 am

Worst part is some people just act so shocked when you tell them you don't like eggs.

I mean I do really like breakfast burritos but typically they include eggs. So whenever I get one I have to make sure and specify no eggs, when I order it. Just a bit annoying to have to always think about what I don't like when ordering food so I can make sure and specify not to get those things on it. But yeah I certainly have gotten weird looks for requesting no eggs...not like they think bad of me just that they are shocked someone would actually dislike eggs. But yes I prefer my breakfast burrito with chorizo, potatoes, cheese and either green or red chili sauce..no nonsense eggs in there to ruin the texture and make it taste eggy.

I have a lot of issues with various condiments to, so I always have to make sure foods don't have the problematic ones. I have had embarrasing incidents where I miss something and then end up gagging on the food, or even throwing up because I can't deal with the texture/taste.

AmtrakFred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2020, 10:49 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Since a child I just don't like cooked egg. I will eat it raw though I rarely do, but boiled, poached, fried etc... Errr!
It came to me thinking about it that it is the feeling of the white of the egg in my mouth that turns me and the smell, where though as a young child I did not mind the yoke, and if I should eat them raw the yoke is tollerable (And raw the white (Clear) is tollerable (I don't say I like them but I tollerate them in their raw form)), yet when cooked in things like pancakes and cakes I will eat them. Ooh. I hate omlette. Errr! But pancakes... Yummm!

But it it the texture in my mouth that turns on me and the smell of egg sandwiches! If an egg sandwich walks anywhere near me I am off!! !

Mountain Goat,

This could be related to your autism but just as easily not. I know a number of people who do not like and will not eat eggs.

I am not a picky eater and can eat just about anything with one exception. If something smells or tastes as if it's gone off just a little bit, I simply cannot tolerate that. I will gag on it. But is that caused by my autism? Possibly but probably not.

Regards,
Amtrak Fred

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 5:45 pm

AmtrakFred wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Mountain Goat,

This could be related to your autism but just as easily not. I know a number of people who do not like and will not eat eggs.

I am not a picky eater and can eat just about anything with one exception. If something smells or tastes as if it's gone off just a little bit, I simply cannot tolerate that. I will gag on it. But is that caused by my autism? Possibly but probably not.

Regards,
Amtrak Fred

Thanks. You can see that I am trying to make sense of things. When I am assessed, I am not sure, but if I am on the spectrum, would the assessment be able to pick up on the things like this? I know this one is minor as one just avoids cooked eggs unless they are mixed in things so I don't notice them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 5:50 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
AmtrakFred wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Mountain Goat,

Regards,
Amtrak Fred

Thanks. You can see that I am trying to make sense of things. When I am assessed, I am not sure, but if I am on the spectrum, would the assessment be able to pick up on the things like this? I know this one is minor as one just avoids cooked eggs unless they are mixed in things so I don't notice them.

MG Before I did my assessment I was emailed a set of questions called a Developmental History. There were questions about food sensitivities (all sensory issues). I was able to make long lists of sensory issues pertaining to all my five senses in the areas of sleep, food, etc. I responded in point-form bullets with category headings, but my response to the sensory / food question alone was several pages long including smell, touch, taste, texture, sound.

I hope you will be given the same opportunity.