Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Captain_Brain
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2005, 12:07 am

What is the best email service?

I don't mean webmail - I mean something which will work with Outlook (or Thunderbird in my case).

I currently use one which really does suck and is a lot worse than a lot of free webmail services like hotmail. And I pay ~NZ$3 a month for it which is a rip-off for the service that I'm getting.

Thank you!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2005, 7:01 am

If you already have an ISP, create another mailbox through them. If not, there's always www.hotpop.com .That being I don't really like using the hotpop that much due to the fact that their servers are a bit slow (bandwidth issues, maybe???) and you can only attach TINY files, but then again, their free. If you want a POP3 account (where email gets downloaded to your computer, instead of the web) then hotpop is the only one that I know of, offhand.

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2005, 7:17 am

Gmail supports POP3, though support for it is set to off by default, so you have to manually change the account settings. I've never bothered with it though; webmail's all I need right now. I used to download my emails from hotmail through outlook express, though I haven't bothered to set that up again since I set up a fresh system on a new HD (I no longer use hotmail).

jeremy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2005, 10:31 am

Unless your mailbox quota is really limited, IMAP is probably a better choice than POP3. I know a few people who use fastmail and they're quite happy with it. While they do have a limited free offering you have to pay to get decent storage space.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2005, 9:26 am

Does it have to be a service in NZ or is the exchange rate w/ the US a buzz kill?