Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2020, 4:29 am

Review: Michael Cristofer explores loneliness and autism in subdued ‘The Night Clerk’

Quote:
The theme of loneliness that informs much of Michael Cristofer’s film and stage work is very much in evidence in “The Night Clerk,” a character-driven crime thriller that favors psychological probing over compelling intrigue.

Tye Sheridan’s Bart Bromley is the titular individual in question — a young man decisively on the autism spectrum who has hidden spy cams in the rooms of the hotel where he works late shifts.

Bart’s voyeurism — shades of “Psycho’s” Norman Bates — actually appears driven by a desire to study social cues from the interactions of the guests rather than sexual gratification.

Things get further complicated when he witnesses a murder in one of the rooms, and the subsequent discovery of the recording devices arouses the suspicions of a methodical detective (John Leguizamo), who schools himself in Asperger’s syndrome over the course of his investigation.

Sheridan gives a rooted if troublingly robotic performance (one that could court controversy among activists). But those around him — especially “Knives Out” sensation Ana de Armas as a potential romantic interest with questionable motives and Helen Hunt as Bart’s fiercely protective mother — provide the necessary dramatic contrast.

It's on demand, blu ray, streaming and also in some theaters.

The other reviews I read are not good.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2020, 10:47 pm

I have seen this film.

John Leguizamo and Helen Hunt play major supporting roles.

The lead character specifically says he is an aspie. Copying to learn social skills was dealt with way way more then I have seen in any other representation.

I will not opine further about the character at this time because to do so would give away key plot points. Of course I would be glad to discuss this representation with other people who have seen this film.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman