Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 5:23 pm

With the CDC saying today that a US outbreak is inevitable and asking Americans to prepare for teleworking and gathering large crowds being banned the "wild card" factor is almost upon us.

No gathering of large crowds would put the kibosh on demonstrations, the conventions and voting itself.

With distrust of their government so high like the disease itself this would be toxic for the American Republic. One thing is certain conspiracy theories that Trump intentionally did this to gain dictatorial power or avoid an election loss as will flourish as will deep state conspiracy theories, and of course China interference theories.

Any attempt to postpone the General election would a constitutional crises like none other, there is no language at all in the constitution to cover this. The closest situation I can think of is the New York delayed the primaries due to 9/11.

China's lockdown has been orderly, I have serous doubt America's will be due to the cynicism discussed above and America's "Just Do It", extraverted culture.

What do you think?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 6:25 pm

They are not going to cancel the election.

What they might do, I believe, is make it so that more people can vote via their home computer.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 7:12 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They are not going to cancel the election.

As I mentioned I was discussing postponing the election to a later date.

What they might do, I believe, is make it so that more people can vote via their home computer.

Can they set such a system up and make not vulnerable to hackers on time?

And what of those without computers are they disenfranchised?

Trump is the very last person I want to be president during this type of crises.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 7:52 pm

Plutocrat Rush Limbaugh is claiming Democrats and the media are using the virus to cause Trump's defeat.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 9:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
With the CDC saying today that a US outbreak is inevitable and asking Americans to prepare for teleworking and gathering large crowds being banned the "wild card" factor is almost upon us.

No gathering of large crowds would put the kibosh on demonstrations, the conventions and voting itself.

China's lockdown has been orderly, I have serous doubt America's will be due to the cynicism discussed above and America's "Just Do It", extraverted culture.

What do you think?

I disagree. Conspiracy theories of fringe folks wont effect the election.

What may well effect the election is what we are already seeing harbingers of: economic disruption.

The pandemic could well screw up the whole economy (its already tanking the stock market).

The POTUS always gets credit for the economy when its good, and gets the blame, when its bad. Whether either blame or credit is deserved or not. And this POTUS is no exception. Except that this president is extreme in having nothing else going for him except that one thing, but the one thing that matters most to grassroots voters, the economy.

Whether Trump deserves credit for continuing the growing economy of the Obama years, or not, he does get devotion from some voters because they credit him for putting them back to work.

But if this thing out of left field were to cause the economy to stumble, or more than stumble, even his hard core base will desert him even though the virus isn't his fault. Though he may either gain, or loose, some points with voters for how he will handle this coronavirus crises. But yes, the virus may well effect the election. But not for the reasons you suggest.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 10:19 pm

I think an outbreak of the virus could dramatically affect voter turnout in highly populated areas but not so in rural areas. While it's true that a president's popularity has historically been tied to the health of the economy, how could this particular scenario be blamed on Trump? Yes, I know, he was actually blamed by some for hurricanes, but a Chinese virus tanking the U.S. economy?

"It's your fault, Trump, you should have closed the borders. Wait, I mean, um..."
"It's your fault, Trump, the U.S. should have become less dependent on Chinese goods and the global market. Wait, I mean, um..."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 6:08 am

There is zero chance the election will be canceled.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 8:32 am

I think the virus will have run its course and be old news way before November.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2020, 8:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is zero chance the election will be canceled.

In my OP I mentioned postponed not cancelled. There is nothing in the constitution about postponing an election.

EzraS wrote:
I think the virus will have run its course and be old news way before November.

What about the primaries and the conventions? If they are substantially delayed there will not be enough time for a general election.

naturalplastic wrote:
I disagree. Conspiracy theories of fringe folks wont effect the election.

What may well effect the election is what we are already seeing harbingers of: economic disruption.

The pandemic could well screw up the whole economy (its already tanking the stock market).

The POTUS always gets credit for the economy when its good, and gets the blame, when its bad. Whether either blame or credit is deserved or not. And this POTUS is no exception. Except that this president is extreme in having nothing else going for him except that one thing, but the one thing that matters most to grassroots voters, the economy.

Whether Trump deserves credit for continuing the growing economy of the Obama years, or not, he does get devotion from some voters because they credit him for putting them back to work.

But if this thing out of left field were to cause the economy to stumble, or more than stumble, even his hard core base will desert him even though the virus isn't his fault. Though he may either gain, or loose, some points with voters for how he will handle this coronavirus crises. But yes, the virus may well effect the election. But not for the reasons you suggest.

Not discounting economics but conspiracy theories are not fringe they central to both sides world view. To the left it is Trump as Russian puppet or oligarch, to the right the deep state and the liberal media. Why in a crisis would these not factor in?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 3:40 am

Biden & Sanders cancel Cleveland rallies

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 4:19 pm

Joe Biden suspends campaign events amid coronavirus spread

Quote:
Former Vice President Joe Biden announced that he will indefinitely stay off the campaign trail as cases of the coronavirus spread.

Biden said he will instead have "virtual events" for supporters to watch.

Biden and Sanders are both going to Arizona on Sunday to participate in a presidential debate, which will be held without an audience.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 10:28 pm

I don't see how with TV and internet the coronavirus will even be an issue,really who has to go out to campaign events anyway.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 1:36 am

vermontsavant wrote:
really who has to go out to campaign events anyway.

NT's who need to be in large noisy groups and feel part of a team.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 2:06 am

I can picture Trump doing this, so he can be dictator for life.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 6:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
really who has to go out to campaign events anyway.

NT's who need to be in large noisy groups and feel part of a team.
Yea,maybe LOL

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 5:20 pm

Biden, Sanders take aim at Trump over coronavirus: 'Incompetence and recklessness'

Quote:
In a direct rebuttal to President Donald Trump, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders delivered somber, and at times searing, speeches Thursday slamming the administration's handling of the coronavirus pandemic and detailing how they believe the government should be responding to the crisis.

"If there ever was a time in the modern history of our country where we are all in this together, this is that moment," Sanders said in Burlington, Vermont, after suggesting the death toll may exceed that of American service-members during World War II. "Now is the time for solidarity."

Earlier, in an address from his hometown, Wilmington, Delaware, Biden said, "Downplaying it, being overly dismissive or spreading misinformation is only going to hurt us and further advantage the spread of the disease."

"But neither should we panic, or fall back on xenophobia," he said. "Labeling COVID-19 a foreign virus does not displace accountability for the misjudgments that have been taken thus far by the Trump administration

Biden's speech was the first he's made since emerging as the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination in a campaign in which he has overtly suggested to the American public that he's better prepared than Trump to handle a crisis as commander in chief.

And he did not shy away from offering policy prescriptions — and taking on Trump.

"Let me be crystal clear. The coronavirus does not have a political affiliation. It will infect Republicans, independents and Democrats alike. And it will not discriminate based on national origin, race, gender or zip code," he said.

Biden added that "this virus laid bare the severe shortcomings of the current administration."

"Public fears are being compounded by a pervasive lack of trust in this president fueled by adversarial relationships with the truth that he continues to have," he said.

Biden said his plan to combat coronavirus would include free testing for the virus and the elimination of all cost barriers to preventive care and treatment for the disease the virus causes, his campaign said in a statement released while he was speaking.

Sanders, meanwhile, said there is an "absolute moral imperative that our response as a government, as a society, as a business community and as individual citizens meet the enormity of this crisis."

The Vermont senator railed against the Trump administration's "incompetence and recklessness" that has "threatened the lives of many people in our country."

He called on Trump to declare a national emergency and convene a bipartisan authority of experts to lead the response, which should be based "first and foremost on science and fact."

Now, Sanders said, is the "time for transparency and honesty and being straightforward."

Reiterating his support for "Medicare for All," Sanders said everyone in the country "must be able to get all of the health care they need without cost," that emergency funding must be passed for paid sick leave and to make sure the U.S. is using the latest and most effective testing possible, among other prescriptions, such as a moratorium on evictions.

"We need to make sure that in the future … we build a health care system that makes sure every person in this country is guaranteed the health care they need," Sanders said.

Both candidates have, in recent days, taken Trump to task over his handling of the crisis. Biden's message has zeroed in on the administration's response, highlighting his own experience in the Obama administration, while Sanders has taken the opportunity to explain how his progressive agenda, including items like Medicare for All, is more necessary than ever in light of the health scare.

Rebecca Katz, a progressive strategist, pointed to exit polling in recent Democratic primaries showing majority support for Medicare for All, telling NBC News the crisis "is now a way to explain to everybody else who may have doubts why it's so important that we need to do more, we need to do better for our people."

Universal health care and paid sick leave "are very important" in the context of this moment, she added.

Political communication experts told NBC News those moves suggest Biden is attempting to seize on the disorder created by the pandemic.

“In this case, this is not just about communication, it’s also about public health. And your responsibility as a political leader is not only to send the message to the public, it’s to serve as an example to the public,” said Jennifer Glover Konfrst, a professor of strategic political communication at Drake University, in Des Moines, Iowa.

Trump, in contrast, has come under increasing fire in recent weeks over his response to the pandemic while his administration has come under enormous criticism for the lack of coronavirus testing that's being done compared with other countries, something that both candidate's pointed to Thursday in their addresses.

In addition to having insisted for weeks that he had the outbreak under control, Trump also propagated his own personal beliefs about the coronavirus that contradict veteran health officials and experts.

As panic began to set in, Trump attempted to quell the fears of Americans across the country by giving a speech from the Oval Office Wednesday night. In his speech, he announced he would ban many foreign travelers from Europe for the next 30 days and offered a series of economic relief actions to help workers and companies deal with the outbreak. But his speech was hit with swift pushback after he misstated several aspects of the policy and also failed to propose any new action to combat the outbreak domestically.

Meanwhile, voters have seemed to express a growing sense of trust in Biden’s ability to handle a crisis — even before Biden made his latest moves.

An NBC News exit poll on Super Tuesday found that Biden was the candidate of choice of nearly half of those who rated the outbreak as an important factor, rating above Sanders. And a Quinnipiac University Poll released Monday showed that 49 percent of registered voters across the U.S. said they disapproved of Trump’s response to the coronavirus. Forty-three percent said they approved.

Philippe Reines, a former senior adviser to 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, told NBC News that Biden's experience in the previous administration gives him "a real leg up" on the issue