Are my feelings justified or am I overreacting?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GammaRayBob
Raven
Raven

29 Feb 2020, 3:47 am

jimmy m wrote:
GammaRayBob wrote:
Also, I don't believe there was any contractual obligation to stay at my place as it was supposed to be only temporary until she found her own place. I was merely trying to do her a favour by making things easier for her and understood that it was something she would want to do.

Was your name used as a sponsor on her visa request form?

I don't know, I didn't see the forms. All I know is that I wrote her a letter of relationship proof, saying that I knew her for a couple years. That's about it.

GammaRayBob
Raven
Raven

29 Feb 2020, 4:00 am

hariboci wrote:
GammaRayBob wrote:
When I asked her about visiting her place and she said she wasn't allowed to have guests, we started arguing and haven't spoken since. I'm not sure if this is going to have a happy ending.

For me it seems she changed her mind and doesn't want to stay privately with you :cry: It happens, as I said before the reality is different as you imagined before. I changed my mind often too in the past 8O
If you can accept that (at least right now) there won't be any romantic thingie or "close contact", and still want to stay friends, try to only ask her how is she doing, is everything fine. And later ask her out to public place. It can happen that you two will be only friends, but friendship is still great if you don't have any feelings for her.

Problem is I still kind of do/did have feelings for her but they were on and off. Now I'm not sure if I even feel comfortable being her friend after this. She also tends to make friends very quickly (and lose them almost as fast) so she probably doesn't even care anymore at this point whether or not I contact her.

It's a bit of a shame, since the Coronavirus pretty much derailed my original plans to stay with her in China. It's possible things would've been much better for us under those circumstances but I don't know for sure, they could've been worse as well. I still harbor some regret for not ignoring the warnings and going anyway. Apparently it was never as dangerous in that region as they tried to make it seem.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 4:54 pm

Some people say things that feel good at the time and then change their minds when the situation is set out before them and they change their minds which she should not have done. Really, she could have looked at other places to stay before making a decision like that.

Like some others are saying, a flight from China is a very long ride next to the jet lag, which can make a person tired. So they aren't always themselves.

As for you, I would be crushed if someone did that to me in which I looked forward to seeing someone again after a long period of time and them discussing plans with me and then change their minds last minute. It sounds like something the two of you should work on together as well as set boundaries.

GammaRayBob
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2020, 10:50 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Some people say things that feel good at the time and then change their minds when the situation is set out before them and they change their minds which she should not have done. Really, she could have looked at other places to stay before making a decision like that.

Like some others are saying, a flight from China is a very long ride next to the jet lag, which can make a person tired. So they aren't always themselves.

As for you, I would be crushed if someone did that to me in which I looked forward to seeing someone again after a long period of time and them discussing plans with me and then change their minds last minute. It sounds like something the two of you should work on together as well as set boundaries.

Thanks for your input, I mostly agree but things with her are actually a lot worse than I had initially thought. A couple days later she told me that she discussed things with her landlord and he said it would be ok if I came over to visit, just that I couldn't stay the night. I agreed and actually did end up somehow staying the night without any objections or interference from the landlord. During that time, however, I started realizing just how much worse she had become over the past couple years with her indecisiveness. She'd say something, like wanting to move out of her place because it's too cold and she doesn't like the landlord to deciding to stay another month at the same place ten minutes later. Or wanting to move in with me for a short while, then wanting to go back to China because she has no friends to wanting to move in with me for a few months, all within a half hour conversation.

This went on for hours. I'm wondering if this can be chalked up to jet lag or something (she said she was often tired and didn't even end up going to sleep that night) because otherwise it's quite disturbing. She even said she wanted us to start dating and I said yes but I have no idea if I can take her seriously since she seems to just be saying things she doesn't mean most of the time. During our last message conversation yesterday, she said she wasn't sure if she wanted to move in with me and I told her to keep me posted but I haven't heard from her since. For all I know, she's already gone back to China :|

hariboci
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2020, 1:54 am

"she seems to just be saying things she doesn't mean most of the time."
I think she means in in that moment but she might be overstressed and her feelings are changing very quickly. I don't know how old you two are (I assume twenty something), but probably it also has something to do with indecisiveness. At least the young people I know are all like that, not only girls :cry:

It might sounds cruel to say not to invest too much emotionally in her, unless you are strong and patient enough to try to help her - first trying to find out what's her real problem is. I mean I understand she imagined it will be different in Canada - however she lived there in the past, so it shouldn't effect her that badly. I just guess she has some major problems she didn't talk about.

GammaRayBob
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2020, 6:17 pm

hariboci wrote:
"she seems to just be saying things she doesn't mean most of the time."
I think she means in in that moment but she might be overstressed and her feelings are changing very quickly. I don't know how old you two are (I assume twenty something), but probably it also has something to do with indecisiveness. At least the young people I know are all like that, not only girls :cry:

It might sounds cruel to say not to invest too much emotionally in her, unless you are strong and patient enough to try to help her - first trying to find out what's her real problem is. I mean I understand she imagined it will be different in Canada - however she lived there in the past, so it shouldn't effect her that badly. I just guess she has some major problems she didn't talk about.

Apparently she does have some major problems... when I messaged her asking if I did anything to upset her and if she wanted to talk, she told me she was back in China and needed time to herself to think. When I asked if I did anything wrong, she sent me a cute princess emoji screaming "no", said it would be best if we didn't keep in touch anymore and then blocked me. She did something similar last time she was here when she went back home without telling me (she didn't block me though), presumably because her visa expired but I don't know what to believe anymore. I guess there was very little chance that this would work out and I should've taken the initial red flags more seriously.

hariboci
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2020, 3:35 am

Hmm, yes it seems she had some problems with you but didn't want to tell what exactly. I heard from male friends that girls do this sudden break-up without notice (is this what's called ghosting?), I prefer to communicate - still the end result is the same, me blocking someone.

Well, I think it's often worth to give a second try, but only a second, not more. At least I cannot trust a person third time.
I hope you are okay or will be soon :wink:

GammaRayBob
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2020, 12:15 am

hariboci wrote:
Hmm, yes it seems she had some problems with you but didn't want to tell what exactly. I heard from male friends that girls do this sudden break-up without notice (is this what's called ghosting?), I prefer to communicate - still the end result is the same, me blocking someone.

Well, I think it's often worth to give a second try, but only a second, not more. At least I cannot trust a person third time.
I hope you are okay or will be soon :wink:

True but I would think the problem is more than just me if she moved back to China after only a week. Her behaviour was extremely erratic while she was here and even before she arrived (she would bring up the same concerns every time we talked, even though I had already answered her about them). And she kept complaining about having no friends here, even though one of them said she'd try to get her a job. It was very difficult communicating with her, way worse than last time she was here. But blocking me is extremely bizarre, even for her.